VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the ideas and replies! My main issue is I'm renting the house so I can't make any permanent modifications like drilling into the concrete. A DIY solution for $150 sounds a lot more appealing than spending $500 on some rubber mats, though.

I'll have to keep looking around for ideas. I'm looking at used options too (if they even exist).

Reactions: syntrix

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Get 6'x3' (4-6mm thick) steel plate and end thread.
I could have sworn we had a thread just like this within the last year...

Anyway, steel prices are flat out nuts. Even a 12" x 72" plate of 0.25" steel (I wouldn't trust 0.188" under a car even with a 12" span) will be easily $300+ and slick as snot with any moisture on it.

But, if someone had access to scrap steel and could find the right piece of 0.25" plate, that would be an easy option. Anchor the corners with some 2" concrete screws and call it a day.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Thanks for the ideas and replies! My main issue is I'm renting the house so I can't make any permanent modifications like drilling into the concrete. A DIY solution for $150 sounds a lot more appealing than spending $500 on some rubber mats, though.

I'll have to keep looking around for ideas. I'm looking at used options too (if they even exist).
Yeah you can, drilling a few 3/16" holes into the concrete is practically unnoticeable and are easily filled in when you move out.

·
Registered
too many
3,075 Posts

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,959 Posts
Ordered these off Amazon for $274 shipped two years ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RPKVV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are currently unavailable on Amazon but maybe you can get them elsewhere. My driveway looks very similar to yours and the ramps have been a lifesaver for my Evo. I used the provided side holes to zip tie all of them together - they hardly move at all. Didn't feel the need to drill the concrete.
Those look just like the house down the road. I mentioned earlier, they are usually shifted a lot and don't always look like they would be functional when scattered. The zip tie idea is great! I might mention it to them next time I see them, thanks!

·
Registered
2021.5 VW Atlas 4Motion
519 Posts
I was thinking just get something like this and FLIP THEM UPSIDE DOWN. Keep them in the trunk and lay them out each time. Maybe not too convenient for a daily, but a weekend or track car it would work.

$176

Reactions: Raguvian

·
Registered
2021.5 VW Atlas 4Motion
519 Posts
Here are longer ones for standard driveways. Again, not too inconvenient for weekend cars. You might just have to trim off those little tabs.

Tire Wheel Hood Grille Vehicle

Reactions: NotFast

·
Registered
2021.5 VW Atlas 4Motion
519 Posts
Here's another option for $161

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you allowed to tear up the concrete and resurface to a more friendly incline?
It's a rental house, and all of the houses in the neighborhood have the same issue so I'm not sure anything could be done about it.

Seems like this is the sort of thing one would check out before moving in?
Bay Area is a very hot market, and we found this house for a decent price in a fantastic location (I ride my bicycle to work). Skipping this house because of self made problems (aka me lowering everything I own) didn't seem like the smartest idea.

That driveway is built specifically with a water path in mind. So unless you prefer flooded basements do not block it.

You need to attack the entry of that driveway like you're about to parallel park your car. Get one side of the car over it first (2 right side or 2 left side) and you'll figure out the rest.
The issue is the driveway is so narrow as well that I end up in the neighbor's driveway, which I'm sure they might not appreciate. I'll have to go talk to them about it, especially as they have a camera pointed into the driveway and probably see my shenanigans.

This is probably the best temporary route as I don't daily the wagon, but I could see it getting old fairly quickly.

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E
12,852 Posts
Ah I know the struggle, my R32 just clears but I also have all the width (4 cars wide) to go in at as much of an angle as needed. Thankfully the Cayman has no issues but the R is definitely on the very low side. I've thought about buying the curb ramp things designed for these types of driveways but I think they're kind of ugly and I would need way too many to make it look decent (bc of driveway width)

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

• Love

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh man, your R32 is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I mean, if we're going the wood route, I wood do it a bit different:

EDIT:

[Deleted the difficult idea]

Scratch all that work, just take an 8' pressure treated 2X6 and screw an 8' pressure treated 2X2 down the middle of one side of it using good galvanized 2.5" screws. Pre-drill the 2x2 so it doesn't split. Put that into the curb trough with the 2x2 side down. It won't wobble and there would be enough gap for rain to flow through.

$30 total including screws.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Just make some out of scrap wood. The only thing that sucks is you would have to put them down before you back out and then pick them up and put them in your trunk. I had to do this at my old house when they were working on the street and I had to drive over the curb and in the yard. It was only for two weeks.

·
Registered
2021.5 VW Atlas 4Motion
519 Posts

Oh that looked good until I saw it in action. That looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I don't like working with wood, so the fun aspect of it is lost on me, and while I like to save money, time IS money.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had a lightbulb moment... You can lay a large diameter cast-iron plumbing pipe. And if you want to level it further, two smaller diameter next to it. Easy to drop and pickup when needed and you can always drill and bolt them together.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts