VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
54,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had surprisingly good luck with DDMTuning kits in my E30 and my S6 (both with projectors)
What do you guys use/recommend?
I've heard good things about the Kensun HIDs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00802G0JK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&s=

Finally got some Euro ellipsoids for my E36. Will need to get some HIDs eventually. I tend to go with 3000K or 4300K

·
Registered
23,280 Posts
I've had surprisingly good luck with DDMTuning kits in my E30 and my S6 (both with projectors)
What do you guys use/recommend?
I've heard good things about the Kensun HIDs
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00802G0JK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&s=

Finally got some Euro ellipsoids for my E36. Will need to get some HIDs eventually. I tend to go with 3000K or 4300K
projectors dont really matter that much if the projector wasnt made for HID bulbs. You wont really blind anyone with a projector HID retrofit, but you really wont get very good light output either.

Lots of people use DDM tuning because IIRC they have a lifetime warrenty on their ballasts. Personally I would retrofit some proper projectors, and they are actually pretty cheap now, and use some real D2S bulbs. Thats the best for light output, and not blinding anyone.

Just google ebay for D2S projector, and you will see stuff that works.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I've had good luck with the DDM 35W kits- the 55W? Not so much. Smaller projector housings like the E36 ellipsoids, will get very warm with the higher wattage kit and they could get damaged.

The 55W kit lasted over three years in my Jetta OEM HIDS when the factory Bosch ballasts took a dump. A month ago, the drivers' side ballast died and the passenger side turned green. Ended up replacing it with a 35W kit.

+1 For DDM

:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
How about getting a GOOD set of halogen bulbs instead ?

HID in both Halogen Reflector/Projector will glare (Some might glare more than the others but they STILL glare , no matters what people say)

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Like cabzilla said the only way to do it correctly would be retrofiting D2S projector in your current headlight (RX350 S2000 Projector / TSX etc etc )

Lets see the so called advantages/disadvantages of having HID in halogen setup :
A
-I got HID!!1!!! Paid 80 for em!1! (Nevermind the fact that most kit cost ~15$ to manufacture )
D
-Glare no matters what you or the sellers says (And no.. aiming them "down" don't work , Glare shield and the so called "laser alignment" and others gimmicks like that don't work either)
-Screwed up beam patterns that affect your vision
-****load of foreground light that also affect your maximum viewing distance

But i guess looking "cool" is more important to most people than their vision/security so go ahead and buy the 6000k to be sure everyone know you have hids!1!!

Make sure to shades your taillight too to complete the whole setup .

Anyway HID are so 2000~ its all bout LEDs now !

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?384923-White-wall-amp-lux-comparison-LED-H11-LL-H11-100-H9

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've had mixed feelings regarding DDM. I'm running their 55W raptor kit in my projector fogs. It's coming up to 4 years this October and the ballasts are still going strong. However, my last order with them was a set of 4300K bulbs and they were mismatched. I ended up taking them out and grabbing a set off Retrofit Source.

·
Premium Member
54,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about getting a GOOD set of halogen bulbs instead ?
I've done the 'good Halogens' before but they burn out so quickly and they cost as much as a DDM kit.
I've had good luck with the pattern of the HIDs I've used in the past. I do agree that they're not the best solution, but it does work well (especially in euro projectors)

I've had good luck with the DDM 35W kits- the 55W? Not so much. Smaller projector housings like the E36 ellipsoids, will get very warm with the higher wattage kit and they could get damaged.

The 55W kit lasted over three years in my Jetta OEM HIDS when the factory Bosch ballasts took a dump. A month ago, the drivers' side ballast died and the passenger side turned green. Ended up replacing it with a 35W kit.

+1 For DDM

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Good to know. save $10 too.

projectors dont really matter that much if the projector wasnt made for HID bulbs. You wont really blind anyone with a projector HID retrofit, but you really wont get very good light output either.

Lots of people use DDM tuning because IIRC they have a lifetime warrenty on their ballasts. Personally I would retrofit some proper projectors, and they are actually pretty cheap now, and use some real D2S bulbs. Thats the best for light output, and not blinding anyone.

Just google ebay for D2S projector, and you will see stuff that works.
yeah, I might look into a D2S retrofit as well.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Retrofit HID kits, regardless of manufacturer or the company selling them, will not provide reasonable lamp/ballast life simply because they are a "one size fits all" type of application. The ballasts are typically lower quality along with the lamps. I've used a DDM kit on my old R32 with custom made projectors mounted in aftermarket housings and I found the ballasts did not hold up to the engine bay environment. Heat typically kills ballasts so unless you mount them in a nice cool dry place you can expect maybe a year or two of service before they die. Furthermore, the HID lamps are not spec-grade, OE-quality and therefore the arc tube design and the salts they use are usually lower quality. It also causes really bad color shift after some burn-in time. I went through three (3) sets of 35W lamps and two (2) sets of ballasts during the 2 year period I owned the R32.

OE quality DS2 lamps and ballasts are really the way to go. It's more expensive for a reason......engineered quality and performance to match.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Anyway HID are so 2000~ its all bout LEDs now !
The problem with LED automotive lighting right now is the binning process for diode selection is sitting at 3-4 MacAdam Ellipses. In order to save cost, the manufacturers are typically allowing a fairly wide range of color temperature variance (binning tightness) which can impact lumen output for a given input wattage.

And for those who are wondering what in the hell a "MacAdam Ellipse" is all about as it relates to LED lighting.....read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacAdam_ellipse

I'm a lighting design engineer, so I'm happy to answer questions you might have about lighting in general. I've been knee-deep in LED and HID technology for many years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The problem with LED automotive lighting right now is the binning process for diode selection is sitting at 3-4 MacAdam Ellipses. In order to save cost, the manufacturers are typically allowing a fairly wide range of color temperature variance (binning tightness) which can impact lumen output for a given input wattage.

And for those who are wondering what in the hell a "MacAdam Ellipse" is all about as it relates to LED lighting.....read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacAdam_ellipse

I'm a lighting design engineer, so I'm happy to answer questions you might have about lighting in general. I've been knee-deep in LED and HID technology for many years.

Awesome!! Then a simple question ( or maybe not), is there any positives coming out these recently released "LED conversion kits" for automotive headlights? Or are they just another fad? :beer::beer:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome!! Then a simple question ( or maybe not), is there any positives coming out these recently released "LED conversion kits" for automotive headlights? Or are they just another fad? :beer::beer:
Look at the link i posted earlier : http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?384923-White-wall-amp-lux-comparison-LED-H11-LL-H11-100-H9 its just as bad as the HID conversion people use

I've done the 'good Halogens' before but they burn out so quickly and they cost as much as a DDM kit.
I've had good luck with the pattern of the HIDs I've used in the past. I do agree that they're not the best solution, but it does work well (especially in euro projectors)

Learn how to shop for bulb then , stop buying theses +30% lumens/5000K LOOK etc etc bulb .. buy some Long life bulb and you should be fine ,
OEM Headlight (Important)+ Some long life bulb should be plenty ..

Oh and do you mind showing me theses "pattern" you had with HID ?

I know lol i was being sarcastic , since everyone seems to think hid conversion kit are the best thing since sliced bread they will jump on theses led conversion kit sooner or later..

·
Premium Member
54,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Learn how to shop for bulb then , stop buying theses +30% lumens/5000K LOOK etc etc bulb .. buy some Long life bulb and you should be fine ,
OEM Headlight (Important)+ Some long life bulb should be plenty ..
I never buy 'look' bulbs
I prefer ~4000K bulbs
I hate 'blue' looking bulbs. I prefer white or even a LITTLE yellow.

this is what it looked like with 4000K bulbs in my S6

Silverstars seem to blow out annually.

There used to be a site I would get good 'european' bulbs that lasted long and were 'all season' (which normally means a ~3200K light temp)

So, please, do suggest some good, long life, good output halogens and where to get them.
I'm sick of spending $50 on Silverstars that blow up every 8-12 months... that's why I started going with 'cheap HIDs' because the output was good and they tended to last longer.

·
Registered
22,297 Posts
I have a set of 7" glass projectors with a 64mm projector lens coming for my Datsun with a 35W HID kit. Looking forward to actually being able to see at night. The old lighting leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
22,297 Posts
inb4 fleabay 55 watt 10000k in halogen reflector housing. I flash those people and they flash me back like I'm the one in the wrong here. :facepalm:
I don't even flash them anymore, full speed offset head on collision bro. I'm done ****in' around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never buy 'look' bulbs
I prefer ~4000K bulbs
I hate 'blue' looking bulbs. I prefer white or even a LITTLE yellow.

Silverstars seem to blow out annually.

There used to be a site I would get good 'european' bulbs that lasted long and were 'all season' (which normally means a ~3200K light temp)

So, please, do suggest some good, long life, good output halogens and where to get them.
I'm sick of spending $50 on Silverstars that blow up every 8-12 months... that's why I started going with 'cheap HIDs' because the output was good and they tended to last longer.

Silverstar are **** (unless you talk about the osram one..but they are rare to find..)

Anyway without knowing your bulb types i can't suggest you anything..

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included for info about halogen

or if you wanna do things right with hid : hidplanet.com

Oh and imo theres seems but be bit too much foreground with theses hid..but still can't propely judge with pictures

·
Premium Member
54,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Silverstar are **** (unless you talk about the osram one..but they are rare to find..)

Anyway without knowing your bulb types i can't suggest you anything..

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included for info about halogen

or if you wanna do things right with hid : hidplanet.com

Oh and imo theres seems but be bit too much foreground with theses hid..but still can't propely judge with pictures
yeah, I used to love the osram ones. I can't remember where I got them though. and when they did blow, I was never in the position to replace them with the Osram ones and had to go with silverstars or something.

I'm on H1s.

I'm thinking of doing a full HID retrofit with TSX projectors. I think I've got a pair around here somewhere...

But definitely let me know if you know where to get Osram silverstars.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts