VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, need your input.
What, in your opinion, would be the best MK1 GTI project of all time...
Drivetrain:
Would it be a VW engine (1.8T, 2.0FSi-T, 12V VR6, 24V VR6, etc), or an Audi engine (20V Turbo I5, biturbo 2.7 V6, etc)...Or something else, (Porsche H6, etc)...
...Would it be front-engined front wheel drive, Front-engined all wheel drive, mid-engined rear drive, mid-engined all wheel drive, twin engined, or what?
Overall:
Would it be a full-blown track-only trailer queen, an all-out show car with tons of audio-video, a full-on GT car with all the "go", plenty of "show", and still streetable, as close to all-race as possible yet daily driven, or something else?
Exterior:
Would the body be an old-skool sleeper, a modern all-out widebody showcar, a simple updated but clean look, like a Clipper kit and few other enhancements, or something else?
Interior:
All gutted, tons of audio-visual, or something close to stock, just a bit nicer?
Let's hear it.
PLEASE keep it as simple as possible, and let's not get too into individual mods, like which wheels or specifically which grille, etc.
Thanks!
This is Franco Sbarro's MR Porsche Turbo-powered MK1 Golf GTI with the swivel-down rear subchassis for inspiration...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: Best MK1 GTI project ever... (TRiAD)

Drivetrain- 427 aluminum block mounted longitudinally(sp?) AWD
Overall- Daily driver with track days in mind
Exterior- Clean single non-metalic color, maybe an airbrushed pinup on the front fenders behind the door. Base model look but with a deep duckbill
Interior- Custom 'glas dash, comfortable front seats, no back seats, 8 point cage, all covered in leather or suede. Carpet on the floor and now empty rear space. ICE- CD player in the dash, all speakers and amps hidden.
Of course, I don't build cars that other people think are cool. I build them for myself.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: Best MK1 GTI project ever... (der hare)

there is no best project...
the best would be being able to go back to the 70's and buy a brand new german gti....store away for myself until...let's say tomorrow

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: Best MK1 GTI project ever... (DUBsportGLX)

There was a project thread from a guy with a screen name of ffnuzz (or similar) that was simply amazing. I can't find the thread right now, but if anyone else can post it that would be great. IMO it's the best project/restoration out there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
[EDIT] That's it below! Awesome work and final product. Thanks for posting! I had the screen name totally wrong.

Modified by ejand22 at 6:11 AM 7-21-2005

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Re: (TRiAD)

Quote, originally posted by TRiAD »

That's ASTOUNDING!

Yes, yes it is.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TRiAD »
Overall:
Would it be a full-blown track-only trailer queen

I hate to argue symantics but full blown track car is not a trailer queen. A trailer queen is a full blown show car. track cars are trailered because:
A. They won't pass inspection
B. they just aren't streetable
3. it would cost too much in speeding tickets.
a trailer queen never gets driven other than on and off the trailer.
Back on topic. Ultimate MK1 build would have to be something twin engine. twin VR6T maybe.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Since we are all different to varying degrees, there can be no "best" project.
I bet I like my food prepared different from most people here. Same with cars.
The real question is what is your best project idea?
Figure it out, then build it. If you are happy with the result then it is a success. If nobody else likes it, it's still a success.
Make sense?
fat biker

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (fat biker)

Quote, originally posted by fat biker »
Since we are all different to varying degrees, there can be no "best" project...The real question is what is your best project idea? Figure it out, then build it. If you are happy with the result then it is a success. If nobody else likes it, it's still a success.

Absolutely. I'm in the planning stage of a project.
I love MK1s, but I love MR layout, powerful AWD cars, etc, and need to decide what my "ultimate" GTI project is going to be.
I want to build one GTI that will satisfy as many of my cravings as possible, so I won't regret it and want to build something else in a year or 2.
Basically, I'm wanting ideas, so I don't overlook any possible combination that could be my "ideal".
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Re: (TRiAD)

to me, the ultimate "gti" project would reflect the true nature of the gti...quick, nimble, light, and spartan.
Anything wilder than that is a good project...but maybe not the ultimate "gti" project.
My thought is to not to try to kill too many birds with one stone..just get more cars

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

mk1 with two hayabusa turbo engines 800 total crank hp.
mk1 with two heavily modified pd tdi engines 800 ft.lbs of torque.
mk1 with a twin turbo porsche powerplant and awd.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.