VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best motor oil for the 1.8T? I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic for a long time in my other cars, but my car only has 2000 miles on it. I'm going to change it at 3000. I don't think I'll convert to synthetic 'till I hit 5,000-10,000 and I have it chipped.
So, what's a good motor oil that's been known to work well w/ the 1.8T?

· Registered
2,598 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (G19)

Quote, originally posted by G19 »
What's the best motor oil for the 1.8T? I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic for a long time in my other cars, but my car only has 2000 miles on it. I'm going to change it at 3000. I don't think I'll convert to synthetic 'till I hit 5,000-10,000 and I have it chipped.
So, what's a good motor oil that's been known to work well w/ the 1.8T?

my advice is to switch to synthetic at your next oil change. your engine will thank you by lasting 300,000 miles
as for which sythetics to use.... Castrol Syntec is a semi-synthetic (group 3) they'll sell you at the dealership for $10 a quart... if you're not going to use Pentosin or Volksynthese 5w40 you may as well use Shell Rotellla T 5-40, its a group 3 like Syntec but costs $12 a gallon at Target or Wal-Mart its what I am using right now because I didnt want to pay $65 for a dealer oil change again

Rotella T is aimed at diesel motors but also meets the VW recommended API SJ and SL specs for gasoline engines, decent stuff but once my supply runs out I'll be switching to a fully synthetic oil from Pentosin or Volksynthese
Pentosin and Volksynthese are German fully synthetic (group 4) oils that meet the specific VW oil (502.something) specs for the 1.8T
you can get 5L (~5Q) of Pentosin for $28 @ ecstuning.com and Volksynthese can be found online for about $25 a gallon as well
Since Mobil-1 doesn't produce a 5w40 I dont recommend Mobil-1 for the 1.8T

Modified by ShockWaveVT at 5:07 AM 1-9-2004

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (schtebie)

Thanks for the reply guys.
Do you know of any articles on this stuff?
I'm really concerned about the life of the turbo once it's chipped.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (schtebie)

Quote, originally posted by schtebie »
just a quick correction to ShockWave's good info...
it's LubroMoly Vollsynthese 5w40, not Volksynthese. it'll save you trouble trying to find the product.

thanks, I can never get that name straight

· Registered
265 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (G19)

M1 0w40.
It hase the necessary VW certs. Also, anywhere a 5wX can be used a 0wX is not only compatible, but usuallly superior for cold starts. And you can get it OTS at any Autozone.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (BBMW)

Quote, originally posted by BBMW »
M1 0w40.
It hase the necessary VW certs. Also, anywhere a 5wX can be used a 0wX is not only compatible, but usuallly superior for cold starts. And you can get it OTS at any Autozone.

I agree. I use M1 0W-40. Search the 1.8 forum there have been some good posts in the past (archived) about this.

· Registered
4,429 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (Gary H)

Quote, originally posted by Gary H »
I wouldn't use a 0W oil in a 1.8T.
I've used Quantum Synta Gold fully synthetic 5/40 from day one

Why wouldn't you use 0W in a 1.8T?

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (samc)

0W-40 should provide a super low viscosity at low engine temperatures, providing you with great protection at start up. After a minute or two, the bearings wont know the difference between 0W or 15W.

I called around to some various places, including two dealers, and they said a 5W-30 synthetic is all they use for their services. WTF? I asked why they don't use 5w-40 and they said that doesn't make one bit of difference and that he had a Jetta with 350,000 miles to prove it. I was like "Okay".

ff
I already have about 20 quarts of 5W-30 sitting at my house from my oil car (I'm a Honda guy - don't know a damn thing about VW's) so I'm thinking I might try that. Sound safe for the 1.8T? Again, I don't know much about these motors.

Modified by G19 at 6:45 AM 1-10-2004

· Registered
13,670 Posts
Perhaps I just got bad advice, but Timmons VW in Long Beach, CA recommended I use Mobil 1 10w30. You guys are talking about 0W and 5W for the colder weather I presume, but cold for SoCal is mid 50's (F). Is 10w30 good for my 1.8T or should I switch to something different at my next oil change?
Thanks

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (samc)

Quote, originally posted by samc »
I've used it for the passed 30k miles or so, no cold start problems at all
(mobil 1 0w-40)

Same here..i live in Colorado and no problems for the 6 months i had the car..and the previous owner didnt have problems either

· Registered
28,732 Posts
Re: Best motor oil for a 1.8T? (ShockWaveVT)

Quote, originally posted by ShockWaveVT »

Since Mobil-1 doesn't produce a 5w40 I dont recommend Mobil-1 for the 1.8T

There is Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. Like Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40, it is aimed for heavy duty diesel engine use, but also carries the API SL rating for gasoline engine use. Unlike the Rotella, it is not available in Wal Mart (except perhaps in Canada).
You can mail order it from http://www.avlube.com , but shipping can be expensive since gallons or cases of motor oil are heavy.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re:

well, I just ended up buying some 10W-40 Asmoil. At $5.50 a quart I figure that's pretty reasonable. I don't know much about their oil. I may take it back and just order a few gallons of 0W-40 Mobil 1 or Vollsynthese. Whatever I get I wanna stick with it for the life of the car.
Amsoil? ya or nah?
Edit: It never goes much below 30 degrees here. The majority of the year is between 45 and 80 defrees F.

Modified by G19 at 8:18 AM 1-10-2004

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.