VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 22,000 for a new or used 4-seater car that performs... which???
a cheaper car would leave more money for mods. I won't buy anything with over 30,000 miles on it, most likely less than 15,000
Criteria:
-AWD would be good
-smaller is better... i.e. probably not a 300ZX or 3000GT VR4
-back seats (4-seater)
-2 doors
-new or used
-high performance & handling
-safety
-RELIABILITY !!!

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (jsborn)

All of the choices you have available are kids cars. This is what a real car looks like:
http://www.**********.com/Sedans/0195/0195a.JPG
http://www.**********.com/Sedans/0195/0195d.JPG
227hp stock.
300hp with MTM chip.
If you have money for hardcore mods, the 20 valve I5 can go up to 900hp.
Here's the end most people will see:
http://www.**********.com/Sedans/0195/0195c.JPG
Someone accused me of being a snob in the Jaguar thread--They're right.

Oh, this car is only $13k and it's insurance is likely cheaper than a WRX, Celica, 3000GT VR4, etc. as well.

http://www.**********.com/Sedans/0195/0195.html

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

Hm I voted for WRX...but then I saw you wanted a 2 door. Oops. If you want a 2 door, you might be able to pick up a Supra...but that's the same size as a 300ZX, so you probably don't want that. Porsche 968 or 944 Turbo would be nice too. But TabulaRasa is right...all those cars you have listed are kid's cars.
Too bad the S4 doesn't have 2 doors...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (AndrewT)

Have yet to see one meet the "high-performance" statute. I agree, kid cars. You want room for four but only two doors (makes a lot of sense). You also don't want it to be big like a 300ZX (makes even more sense). Why don't you just ask what small, wanna-be-high-performance economy car for under 22K is the best choice???
The term "high performance" is somewhat subjective. A 195 HP FWD car does not qualify as high performance in my book.
Get a 1986 Shelby GLHS Turbo and save your money for a real performance car when the time is right.

The chic magnet! LOL!
Kale

[Modified by djKale, 9:39 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,191 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]Someone accused me of being a snob in the Jaguar thread--They're right. [HR][/HR]​
Damn straight. You are.

Cool is in the eye of the beholder - not that many people under 30 are going to think that a 9 year old Audi sedan is all that cool.
Also, while I know full well that Audi mechanicals go a LONG time, running costs on a S4/S6 aren't cheap. My (multiple) friends with 5000CStq's can attest to that.
Finally, why in the hell are these cars "kid cars?" Most of them are genuinely entertaining rides. My vote would be for a Prelude (if you don't need a usable rear seat) or a WRX if you do.
And johnnybegood, what in the hell are you talking about? jsborn isn't selling anything, nor asking for a particular car for sale. I hope you're not spamming the list....
Tom

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (TabulaRasa)

Dear god that Audi is beautiful. I think I just found my new dream car...

[Modified by anarchyx34, 10:03 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (mutcth)

Okay, there's finally a "high-performance" car on the list, but it doesn't meet the rest of your standards. Go out and drive a 6-speed WS6 TA, or SSZ28 and see how many choices are left after that.
Kale

·
Registered
22,003 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (anarchyx34)

where is the Integra Type R...??? new they are above your price range, but i bet you could find some for around 22k.. i know my buddy is selling his for that much..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (djKale)

kid's cars?? maybe, but I'm 22, and I want something that's fun to drive, small (for parking and because I like the feel of small cars) but still has 4 seats for short people hauls, and reliable.
The 3000GT VR4, for example, is a sweet car IMO but is HUGE, as is the 300ZX.
Insurance is also a big factor, and the Z28 and other muscle cars are great but not as reliable and much more $$$ to insure than a small, smaller-engined car. I've always assumed that this is true, actually... is it?? Are they as safe as a GTI or Prelude?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Okay, there's finally a "high-performance" car on the list, but it doesn't meet the rest of your standards. Go out and drive a 6-speed WS6 TA, or SSZ28 and see how many choices are left after that.[HR][/HR]​
Well, if youre gonna get one do it soon. I know these things are fast, but how do they handle the curves?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (RJetta8V)

Now is a great time to buy a slightly used Fbody, with 0% financing on a brand new people are giving used ones away. Insurence will vary state to state and on your age, but my insurence on a 98 Z28 is less than it would be on a 97 Z3 that only had the 4 banger.
Dont even go drive one if you like fancy cushy dashes and interiors though.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]kid's cars?? maybe, but I'm 22, and I want something that's fun to drive, small (for parking and because I like the feel of small cars) but still has 4 seats for short people hauls, and reliable.[HR][/HR]​
Well, you wanted opinions and I gave you mine. I drive an Audi 90 so yeah, I'm really biased. Anyway, what's wrong with your turbo Beetle?

·
Registered
183 Posts

If the 300ZX is big, my Mark VIII must be monstrous! The 3000GT VR4 is an awsome car, but I hope you enjoy replacing drivetrain parts if you plan on running 11's.
I don't understand this infatuation with "small"? A bigger car simply fits better and feels more luxurious. How many street races are decided by how good a car handles the twisties? In my 15 years of driving, not one was ever decide by a kink in the road.
Kale

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (mutcth)

quote:[HR][/HR]not that many people under 30 are going to think that a 9 year old Audi sedan is all that cool. [HR][/HR]​
Hey, I'm waaaay under 30 and that S4 is one of my dream cars!! Mmmmmm turbo inline-5...Then again I'm really weird. Most of my friends also don't think that the Corrado and Porsche 944 (two of the cars I'm considering getting) are that cool either. <shrug>

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Re: Best new or used 4-seater sporty car for under 23k (AndrewT)

I'm only 17, and I would love an older S4.
Concerning the Corrado and the 944:
The Corrado is one of the only FWD cars I would buy, and the 951(944 Turbo) would be top on my list if I had enough resources

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,191 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How many street races are decided by how good a car handles the twisties? In my 15 years of driving, not one was ever decide by a kink in the road.[HR][/HR]​
Are you really street racing the Mark VIII? And is street racing the only thing that's important? Considering it's pretty damn illegal and dangerous, having fun on the twisties seems to be a safer (and easier, as you are just pleasing yourself rather than putting your ego on the line) better way to go.
Mind you, I do like big cars - I've owned several. They have their place. That S4 (or a 300ZX) is a sweet ride - but it's not what everyone wants. Hell, there are times I prefer my gf's Outback Sport to my Passat, simply because it is more nimble.
There we go - the perfect solution to the original problem! Buy two cars - a Miata for the fun, and the S4 for hauling people! (Too bad it violates the mileage provisions....)
Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.