VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What du you recomend as the best product to fill and hide scratches and swirls on VAG paint?
I know Autoglym Solid Resin Polish is very popular in Europe, but what is popular in the US?

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Re: Best product to fill swirls and sctratches? (smittyATL)

While I would rather the paint be corrected, there are some instances in which you do need fillers Some people just can't afford a polisher and all the products needed to correct paint or to pay someone to polish it properly. Maybe the paint is to thin to polish. Some people just don't want to go through the hassle.
If those are the case, then here are some of the recommended fillers...
Meguiar's #7
Meguiar's Deep Crystal #2 Polish
Poorboys' Black Hole
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
Blue Coral Product-X (Dealer special!)
Auto Magic New Car Glaze
Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze (Can be used by hand.)
Blue Coral Product-X will fill in the Grand Canyon. The problem is that is is mostly only sold to dealers (anyone surprised?) If you know someone that works in the detailing department at a dealer that is supplied by Blue Coral, try to get some.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze are also heavy hitters. The 3M is cheaper and can sometimes be found locally at places that sell 3M products and/or body shop products.
The key to using those is this... you need to top them with a pure carnuba or sealant. Anything without cleaners. If you top the glaze with something that cleans, then you have wasted your time.
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech yellow wax is a very good, cheap, local option.
Just remember, most fillers are gone within a couple of weeks at most. Those swirls will only stay hidden for a short time. To help extend the life as long as possible, try to use the most pH balanced car shampoo you can find. Don't use harsh shampoos/soaps or run it through a car wish. It will remove them almost entirely.

Modified by 67Customs at 12:35 PM 12-10-2009

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best product to fill swirls and sctratches? (67Customs)

Quote, originally posted by smittyATL »
Not going to find too much support for "filling and hiding" on this site. Ever thought about correcting the paint?

Perfect example on a post that decreases the quality on a forum...
Quote, originally posted by 67Customs »
While I would rather the paint be corrected, there are some instances in which you do need fillers Some people just can't afford a polisher and all the products needed to correct paint or to pay someone to polish it properly. Maybe the paint is to thin to polish. Some people just don't want to go through the hassle.
If those are the case, then here are some of the recommended fillers...
Meguiar's #7
Meguiar's Deep Crystal #2 Polish
Poorboys' Black Hole
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
Blue Coral Product-X (Dealer special!)
Auto Magic New Car Glaze
Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze (Can be used by hand.)
Blue Coral Product-X will fill in the Grand Canyon. The problem is that is is mostly only sold to dealers (anyone surprised?) If you know someone that works in the detailing department at a dealer that is supplied by Blue Coral, try to get some.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze are also heavy hitters. The 3M is cheaper and can sometimes be found locally at places that sell 3M products and/or body shop products.
The key to using those is this... you need to top them with a pure carnuba or sealant. Anything without cleaners. If you top the glaze with something that cleans, then you have wasted your time.
Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech yellow wax is a very good, cheap, local option.
Just remember, most fillers are gone within a couple of weeks at most. Those swirls will only stay hidden for a short time. To help extend the life as long as possible, try to use the most pH balanced car shampoo you can find. Don't use harsh shampoos/soaps or run it through a car wish. It will remove them almost entirely.

Modified by 67Customs at 12:35 PM 12-10-2009

Perfect example on a post that increases the quality on a forum! Thanks
The polish with will be toped with CG Jetseal and CG Pete's 53.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Re: Best product to fill swirls and sctratches? (rs_t)

Quote, originally posted by rs_t »

Perfect example on a post that increases the quality on a forum! Thanks
The polish with will be toped with CG Jetseal and CG Pete's 53.

Thats why 67 is the go-to guy haha
Mike D

·
Registered
18,646 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rs_t »

Wow, he just asked a question - how does he know if you even know what correcting is based on your very brief post? It's the right first question to ask because there is no way to "fill" a scratch and he was trying to guide you to the solution that will truly fix the problem.
Perfect example of why lots of folks don't bother trying to help.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts

The problem is .. all those products will temporarily fill and hide swirling .. but only proper correction or repaint will take care of scratches <----- Part of original request. So lets not confuse the 2. . 67s answer was perfect for the swirl part.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Best product to fill swirls and sctratches? (Karma)

Quote, originally posted by Karma »

Wow, he just asked a question - how does he know if you even know what correcting is based on your very brief post? It's the right first question to ask because there is no way to "fill" a scratch and he was trying to guide you to the solution that will truly fix the problem.
Perfect example of why lots of folks don't bother trying to help.

A little harsh from my side mabye, but it's just so typical on the rest of the vortex to go OT in the first post after the initial question. I feel that my question was so specified that there was no need for answering the question with another question. Agreed?

·
Banned
137 Posts
I'd like to try this before using a buffer on my top coat.. I don't mind applying it once or twice a month so which is the easiest way to go about this, there are so many to try and my local stores don't carry all that maguiars stuff, only the basics.
of all the options which one and why?

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Re: (Northsea Green MKV)

Quote, originally posted by Northsea Green MKV »
...there are so many to try and my local stores don't carry all that maguiars stuff, only the basics.
of all the options which one and why?
They should carry Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step #2 Polish (DC2).
I chose that one because it is the most likely to find locally.
However, you could try a local auto/body shop and check for Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 (Show Car Glaze). That would be a btter local option than DC2.

·
Banned
41 Posts

LOL
Talk about taking the ball and running with it.
At least before you anwer a question you would want to know what direction to run in.
I agree Karma, someone details a process that may or not be the best answer to the OP problem.

I think that does more harm than good when a person just throws information out there without at least seeing a image of the problem.

Modified by MarkX at 2:49 AM 2-11-2010

·
Registered
12,746 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MarkX »
I think that does more harm than good when a person just throws information out there without at least seeing a image of the problem.
In my opinion, the OPs post was pretty clear about what he was looking for in this post. His title asks about filling swirls and scratches and he also asks about Autoglym "Super" Resin Polish, which is know for filling swirls.
If someone had simply asked, "how do I get rid of swirls," then there are a few different avenues to get rid of them so you would ask for more specifics. However, if someone specifically asks, "how to fill in swirls," they obviously have a little knowledge about filling in swirls. In that case, you go with their question. That is how I analyze a first post. That might just be me though.
Although, I don't feel that smittyATL's question was unreasonable either.
It does bother me when someone just jumps into a recommendation when they don't actually know what the OP is asking for, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this thread though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.