VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola...

Looking at cooling upgrades, and OEM+ turbos, I've heard from several upgrade shops, and they all agreed on one issue.

Tuning companies are in strong competition with each other, seeing who makes the most power gains over all the others. (Ex. APR)

That's packaging and propaganda for teens.

Many hardware & turbo manufacturer's told me that the tunes run too hot, which is why so many S3's get missfires, backfires, bent rods, turbo failures, and other hardware failures.
It also causes S3's to over heat VERY easily...even daily drivers.

I don't want company A's tune, that runs super hot timing, and runs lean fuel tables at higher rpm's, just to make +20whp more than company B.

APR, EURODYNE, UNITRONIC, REVO, IE, VR, ABT, VR....they all seem the same, saying that they don't go past "safety limits" (which aren't OEM limits, so I hear...but their own estimated limits.)

So...which downloaded tunes care about the consumer and the car?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hola...

Looking at cooling upgrades, and OEM+ turbos, I've heard from several upgrade shops, and they all agreed on one issue.

Tuning companies are in strong competition with each other, seeing who makes the most power gains over all the others. (Ex. APR)

That's packaging and propaganda for teens.

Many hardware & turbo manufacturer's told me that the tunes run too hot, which is why so many S3's get missfires, backfires, bent rods, turbo failures, and other hardware failures.
It also causes S3's to over heat VERY easily...even daily drivers.

I don't want company A's tune, that runs super hot timing, and runs lean fuel tables at higher rpm's, just to make +20whp more than company B.

APR, EURODYNE, UNITRONIC, REVO, IE, VR, ABT, VR....they all seem the same, saying that they don't go past "safety limits" (which aren't OEM limits, so I hear...but their own estimated limits.)

So...which downloaded tunes care about the consumer and the car?
I've had the United Motorsport trio of files for 20k miles; ECU, TCU, Haldex.
I picked up the S3 a couple of years ago at 39k miles. Now approaching 59k miles. Mods in signature.

I'm very pleased the results. No misfires, no issues. Just more power, quicker response, and more push from the rears.
Oil temps run about 20 degrees F. cooler than with the stock tune (205 vs 225).
I've replaced spark plugs a couple of times, to be conservative and get best performance.
Both times, around 10k on the plugs, and they look great; no evidence of running too lean or too rich.

·
Registered
2016 Audi S3
4 Posts
New here, got Eurodyne on my '16 S3 by default, loaded stage 2 tunes on both engine and trans before I bought it, so I can't speak for "stock", etc, but wow, this sucker hauls the mail. Perfectly fine during normal driving conditions, and kicks butt in Autocross. I know Cobb from experience with my Mazdaspeed3 before, they kick butt and are absolutely safe as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts