VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friend of mine @ work has a set of koni springs & bilstein sport shocks on his a4. he isnt too happy w/ that setup & i really dont know much about a4's to advise him better.
anyone got some suggestions. price is a factor & coilovers are out of the question.
tia!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: best setup for suspension (5ven3)

Quote, originally posted by 5ven3 »
friend of mine @ work has a set of koni springs & bilstein sport shocks on his a4. he isnt too happy w/ that setup & i really dont know much about a4's to advise him better.

Give us some more info - specifically, why is the current setup not making him happy?
Is it too stiff? Not stiff enough?
Too low? Not low enough?
Does he want to adjust the under/oversteer balance?
Otherwise, all we can do is take shots in the dark. . . And if he's not sure why he doesn't like it, get him to make up his mind before he buys anything else, or he'll probably be unhappy with that too!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (MikekiM)

he wants it to be a lil stiffer than stock but not to the point where he feels every bump on the road. his problem w/ the current setup is that the passenger side bottoms out. he hears the shock hit & it's making the ride uncomfortable. as long as he can improve the ride, thats all he cares about. it's a daily driver.
thanks for the input.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: (5ven3)

if he doesn't care as much about lowering see how he likes using his stock springs with the bilstein shocks. Otherwise he probably won't be happy if he keeps spending dough swapping out suspension.
He needs to ride in a few modded cars and see what he likes.
There may be something wrong with his suspension if it's bottoming out, and only on one side. Possibly a blown shock or something.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Re: (5ven3)

I'll bet anything that the noise he hears when he thinks its bottoming out is just a bad control arm or tie rod end.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: (TomRitt)

i would second that he is prolly hearing/feeling a bad control arm or busted tie rod end... i had a set of neuspeed sports on my stock setup and it was fine and i was happy with the performance until the tie rod ends went bad... and i started to think springs/shocks too.... but it was the tierods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: (Turtleteeth)

Have to agree it's probably a control arm joint. I had the same feeling and insisted it was my strut until i lifted the corner and started wiggling the wheel. I noticed a bad upper control joint that had some play in it. That was my bottoming out feeling on the passenger side. Once replaced the problem dissapeared. Test the rest of the suspension b4 you swap springs, you might be suprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts