VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a set of Bilstein sports and I am just finalizing what springs would match it best. Looking for 1-1.5" of drop, improved handling with minimal loss of ride comfort since the Bilstein's are pretty stiff.
My choices are:
1. H&R Sport (1.5 drop, progressive, heard that it sags too much after a while)
2. Nuespeed Sport (1.5" drop, very similar to H&R, but heard it doesn't sag as much)
3. Eibach Pro (1.2" drop, softer than the others but with linear rates).
What do u guys recommend and why? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (alexb75)

I beleive the way to do this shold be to carefuly select the right springs, that give you the right height for handling, the right stiffness (the one you can live with) and then try to match (very difficult) them with appropriate shocks. If you first get the shocks (in your case), and now looking for springs, I would just stay with stock springs and bolt the Bilsteins. It wil work very well, you will keep the clearance, very compliant ride and save money.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (pyce)

Well, I got a wicked deal on a Bilstein and I took it. So, now gotto find the right springs to go with it. The stock springs are too soft and I don't think would be a good match for Bilsteins. Maybe should add Nuespeed Sofsport too!

·
Registered
312 Posts

I am going to purchse the bilstein sports in a few days and am probably going to get neuspeed sports as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (GTiGliFan)

Which model is Bilstein Sports? I just came back from a dealer and he suggested that Bilstein Sprint (Sprintline) would match well with the Eibach spring (VW's sport kit).
Does anyone know anything more about this Sprintline shocks? Supposedly these are designed for lower springs. Any comments based on personal experience?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (Heavenly)

I haven't ever heard that. There's Sport and HD, the Sport is for cars lowered more than 1" and HD for stock levels.

Modified by alexb75 at 8:30 AM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
102 Posts

Thanks for that quick response. Sprintline is available here in Australia and also on mail order stores in the UK. Given that it's also for lowered springs, I suspect that this is comparable/same with the Sports model there in the US. Just trying to confirm.
Would it be correct to say that Golf IVs and components for it (Bilstein shocks) are of the same dimension worldwide?
Given the price differential, I am thinking of picking up a set of Sports back from the US. And given that I hardly ever get to use the generous quota of checked luggage allowance on United, I think these heavies might just get my money worth!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (Heavenly)

Recently bought Neuspeed Sports with Bilstein Sports and very happy with them. I expected a harder ride than I actually have...ride is comfortable. I commute 75 miles a day to work (highway and side roads)
Not to mention the 1.5" drop looks wicked sweet on my new 18" BBS CH's

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (wolfs75)

Quote, originally posted by wolfs75 »
Recently bought Neuspeed Sports with Bilstein Sports and very happy with them. I expected a harder ride than I actually have...ride is comfortable. I commute 75 miles a day to work (highway and side roads)
Not to mention the 1.5" drop looks wicked sweet on my new 18" BBS CH's

So, you like them? How is the ride comfort? Can you explain how the car behaves on small or bigger bumps? What about uneven pavement while cornering?

·
Registered
722 Posts

I'm running Eibachs with my Bilsteins. A little sharp, but great handling. Just ask Tyrolkid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (Girlsound)

Girlsound. Great. Just the type of personal experiences I have been looking for.
Going a bit further, would you care to comment on how it compared with your factory originals in terms of ride, body roll, firmness and would you care to put a subjective rating on them (% improvement/change)?
I am at the stage trying to justify the expenditure and be swayed by the degree of improvement. I would hate to spend the money and then find the improvement to be limited or the ride quality went north.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

Quote, originally posted by alexb75 »
1. H&R Sport (1.5 drop, progressive, heard that it sags too much after a while)

Complete bullcrap - who comes up with garbage like this? H&R's ain't gonna sag on you, trust me. The one spring that had a VALID reputation for sagging like crazy was the old Hor Technologie crap that Autoblech used to sell - their "house brand" - truly horrendous garbage. They have wisely put that name out to pasture.
H&R is OEM on Porsche, Mercedes, and a bunch of other high-end marques. AND they are less expensive than Neuspeed springs almost anywhere that carries both. Go H&R.. you can't go wrong. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (KevinC)

Quote, originally posted by KevinC »

The one spring that had a VALID reputation for sagging like crazy was the old Hor Technologie crap that Autoblech used to sell - their "house brand" - truly horrendous garbage. They have wisely put that name out to pasture.

I call BS. My Hor Springs didn't sag in the 4 years I had them...and I liked them...

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (briang)

Yeah i had a HOR cam for my cabriolet and after about 4 months of heavy autocrossing 2 of the lobes went completely flat. The replaced it though... low quality sheet though

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote, originally posted by alexb75 »

So, you like them? How is the ride comfort? Can you explain how the car behaves on small or bigger bumps? What about uneven pavement while cornering?

Sorry for the late response...was on vacation. Yes, I like them a lot. You definitely can't fly over bumps but living in the pothole hell that's Boston, I haven't had problems. The ride is quiet comfortable. Cornering is unbelievable, I am still testing my cars limits on offramps and long corners and have not yet been able to make the tires squeal or the car roll, I really haven't cornered too hard on uneven pavement.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Re: Best springs to match Bilstein Sports (KevinC)

Quote, originally posted by KevinC »

H&R is OEM on Porsche, Mercedes, and a bunch of other high-end marques. AND they are less expensive than Neuspeed springs almost anywhere that carries both. Go H&R.. you can't go wrong. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Aren't H&R the stock springs that come on the new R32?

If there was any sagging, I would think it was because of the struts you are using.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts