VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from racing for years. Hoping to start back this year. Tires on my 1984 Rabbit GTI (it is classed in STC) are worn out Falken Azenis from the old days. Looking at results from Nationals (not that I'm Nationals material!), but the tire of choice right now seems to be the Toyo. Not made of money - it appears the Toyo's will be outlawed after this year (need 200 UTQG in 2015) so --- looking into your crystal ball, could anyone tell me the best choice with a 200 UTQG rating?

Also, I have 15x7 Enkei RPF1's on the VW. In the past I've used 205/50/15, but it appears that 225/45/15 is an option for this group of tires. Which would be better on my rims? Thanks folks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you can wait, you may see some of the current 140 tread tires coming out next year with "new" compounds that are 200 tread.
Not sure if they will truly be different, but they will at least say 200 on the side and be "legal" for competition.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I am holding out hope that Toyo will magically transform the R1R to 200TW.

Failing that, I got a set of Z2s this spring to try. About two weeks after I got them, we found out they're discontinuing them.

A lot of people are going full steam ahead testing Hankook RS3 v2.

I don't know what will work for our lighter cars though.

Andy Hollis preaches against over-tiring your wheel width. Last year I consistently beat a guy running 225 Rivals with my 205 Rivals (we both ran 7.5" wheels). I don't think a 225 street tire will work well on a 7" wheel.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Granted I am not on a Miata, which is a pretty light platform, but running 255(!) on 8" for me last season has been pretty good experience. I've not noticed any downside aside from decreased MPG(I autoX my DD setup basically exactly barring tire pressure). I had a local competition last season running on a more prepped car with 225s and 235s(he upped his front size half way through) and I am as fast if not faster, though as a driver I am less consistent.

I feel like for the front heavy(and heavy in general) FWD like my GTI it could use a lot of help tire wise. We also don't get any camber help with the front struts, so any rubber is good rubber? I don't know.

I got another competitor this season to copy my wheel and tire combo so I am curious to see how that works out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not purchased rubber yet because my car is in pieces now - maintenance & rebuilding a lot. But, in inquiring with a group of SCCA guys from Denver area that are the guys that invented the Big Front Bar philosophy, one of them responded that they thought the 225's would be better for my 1984 Rabbit GTI. I intend to get the car running for a late May or June event using my old rubber. If it's as bad as I think it is, I am intrigued about buying the 225's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts