VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be replacing my stereo in my 91 GTI and am looking for speaker suggestions. I want them to fit behind the factory grills. What are you guys and gals running up front? I'm thinking seperates in the front, with the tweeter in the dash spot.
I'm not looking for anything radical, just better sound. I am leaning towards an Alpine for the deck, becuase they do not look like a space ship crashed into the dash. This car will be a weekend track car, so I don't even think I want to go with a sub box, since it just adds weight and depending on build may have to be removed.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (20V'er)

Space ship in the dash, that's funny. I've only heard good about Boston Acoustics, after having my stereo stolen twice I pulled all mine out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (scottba2gti)

i say get an eclipse headunit. as for speakers i have mmats and they rock. i wouldn't get components though... i had them and took them out i didn't like them. The mmats i have are coaxials and they sound ten times better then my infinity components.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (scottba2gti)

Yeah my 74 Beetle has the real stereo in it, but as I get older I just sort of think why. With my daily driver MK4 I will not even replace the Head Unit, because of theft. But the MK2 stereo has gone the way of more like static and mono then stereo, so I don't have much of a choice.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

I'm running Infiniti's and I'm happy with them. I prefer my old DEI's though. Handled more power.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (kickice24)

Boston http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
If you wanna go cheap...pioneer has good sounds and response

·
Banned
648 Posts
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (87GolfKart)

Whatever deck you decide to get, make sure it has mp3 capabilities... after getting mine I couldn't even think of going back to those lame 15 song CD's

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I have pioneer speakers and a pioneer sub in my jetta and people are amazed at the clarity in all of the high, mid and bass notes. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get clean sound out of your stereo.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

Raimbow audio componets hand made in germany sound really good (but they are 7000) and you get a cool alum. case with them. some of the better speakers I like are Kicker, Eclipse,Infinity,boston. I have installed these speakers in many cars they all sound good

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re: Best Stereo Speakers? (kickice24)

Quote, originally posted by kickice24 »
I'm running Infinity's and I'm happy with them. I prefer my old DEI's though. Handled more power.

I love my Infinity's too! haha!

·
Registered
986 Posts

I'm running an Alpine 7894 to kenwood excelon kfc-xr50p components in the front, tweeters in the dash locations, with excelon 6.5" 2 ways in the rear... sounds great, nice and loud when you want it to, but tweak the time correction and DAMN they sound clear, especially for being run off of just a head unit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Boston 5.5's pro series and IMO there isn't anything better. The only thing is I don't they'll fit behind the original grills. Mine are in down by my feet and angled tward the driver and passanger.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: (WillyG)

jvc head tape player, cd changer, infinity 505 ref, 3.5 jbl
, 5x7 blaupunk and 10in infinity ref sub. it sounds good to me. but those darn 3.5. so I got a set of crossovers for them as well.

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,039 Posts
Re: (hybrid gti 2)

I have 4 Wal-Mart Pioneers and they SUCK. Maybe it's because they're all 2 ways, they sound high and tinny. Even if I turn down the trebble and up the bass, they still have horrible response. Sometimes if the volume is up enough it makes me cringe. I got a set of Infinity Kappas for free and I love them. I put them in my trunk as a sort of bass booster for the Pioneers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: (VDub2625)

I have some Infinity 505 Refs in my car right now and they sound awesome. Only problem is that you really should run an amp with these as they can't handle a lot of power without one.
MB Quartz or Boston Acoustics are probably the best IMO. But only if you have the $$$

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Re: (VDub2625)

Alpine 7874, SPS-0829 w/capacitors in the dash and SPS-1329S in the stock door locations. A good alternative to running components, as they are cheaper and you dont have to amplify them. And the 7874 is VERY old school looking. It has a green and orange display, so it fits right into a MK2 interior.
- dac

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Re: (Big Dac With Fries)

I'm running some 5 1/4 components in the doors along with some tweeters, some 6x9s on the rear shelf and a couple 8' subs in the back run off of a Alpine amp. Needless to say it was the best $500CDN(!!!!!!) I ever spent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts