VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Re: best tyre pressure! (2LMONSTER)

quote:[HR][/HR]what is the best tyre pressure? my friend runs his cossie at 40psi. i know the books all say to look on your doorjam for the correct one. right now i run 32/30 on 215/40/17's. give a shout!
[HR][/HR]​
40 you going to pop something

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: best tyre pressure! (2LMONSTER)

With a 215/40/17 you should be running 45 frt. 40 rear. Look on your tire and the max press. is probably 50psi. To get max tire life, high speed stability and good cornering you should run close to the tires max. press. Running a 17'' 40series tire at 30psi is going to kill your tires over time. Do some research on tire performance and I'm sure you'll find these recommendations...........Remember, when you change tire/wheel size from original, the recommendation on your door jam means absolutely nothing..........

[Modified by Project20v, 6:50 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Re: best tyre pressure! (Project20v)

On my 205/45/16 I run 38 all around. I dropped it from 40psi when the guys at Discount Tire installed them for me.
I thought with a lower profile it was wise to use a higher pressure than just 33 or 35 becuase you could mess up your rims over time. Is 38 really bad, is 40 going to destory something?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: best tyre pressure! (Project20v)

Where can we research about optimal tire pressure?
I've got a 2.0 and OEM tires and wheels..and boy...let me tell you...all 4 of my tires wearout the same way even with dealer rotation and balancing etc...
They wear out in the middle of the tire..tell me if this is right? Dealer insisted on putting 32 PSI's. But when I ran it over and thin layer of sand, I notice not all the foot of the tire touches the sand...therefore balds in the middle first.
HELP..I'm tired of wasting my tires away so fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.