VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 75k miles my brake pad light finally came on this weekend.

This is the first time I've needed to change the pads and will do new rotors and pads all-around for good measure.

I spent a lot of time this weekend researching the best value I could get. I don't auto-x so an OEMish solution is what I was looking for. I had Hawk HPS pads on my GTI 337 so if I could get that type of performance for minimal cost increase then that would be ideal.

I checked out Autohaus AZ, ECS Tuning, and MJM Autohaus. Best value was by far a package from MJM for $350 + free shipping...

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/...ront_and_Rear_Coated_and_HPS&products_id=5371

Meyle (high quality German parts supplier) GEOMET coated front & rear vented rotors
Hawk HPS Front Pads with wear sensors
Hawk HPS Rear Pads

Note: The HPS wear sensors may require a slight mod to get it to work. See below. Will update once I get them installed.

Just thought I would pass the find along. Almost ordered Optimal Rotors & OEM Pads from ECS for $370 total. I was pleased to find a package with a better pad and rotors from a brand I have had success with in the past.

-Kurt

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
After 75k miles my brake pad light finally came on this weekend.

This is the first time I've needed to change the pads and will do new rotors and pads all-around for good measure.

I spent a lot of time this weekend researching the best value I could get. I don't auto-x so an OEMish solution is what I was looking for. I had Hawk HPS pads on my GTI 337 so if I could get that type of performance for minimal cost increase then that would be ideal.

I checked out Autohaus AZ, ECS Tuning, and MJM Autohaus. Best value was by far a package from MJM for $350 + free shipping...

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/...ront_and_Rear_Coated_and_HPS&products_id=5371

Meyle (high quality German parts supplier) GEOMET coated front & rear vented rotors
Hawk HPS Front Pads with wear sensors
Hawk HPS Rear Pads

Note: The HPS wear sensors aren't compatible with the MKV R32 (per ECS's site) so you'll need to bypass it to go this route.

Just thought I would pass the find along. Almost ordered Optimal Rotors & OEM Pads from ECS for $370 total. I was pleased to find a package with a better pad and rotors from a brand I have had success with in the past.

-Kurt
wow, first time you had to change, eh? LOL..i changed at 53k after 29k miles and am down to 10/32 at 68k on this particular set. i usually wait until the light comes on and then go another 1,500 miles. what can i say, i enjoy driving the car the way it's supposed to be driven i suppose :D i used Hawk HPS on both front and rear; FYI, the sensors do work. you just have to splice and reverse the wires - not a big deal, but you definitely don't have to bypass them.

there is some brake squeak every so often, but overall i am happy with them.

good luck!

shark -

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used Hawk HPS on both front and rear; FYI, the sensors do work. you just have to splice and reverse the wires - not a big deal, but you definitely don't have to bypass them.
That's good news because I really want to maintain the pad wear sensor feature.

Do you have any other details about the splice? Is there another thread I missed somewhere? Search hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks,
Kurt

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That's good news because I really want to maintain the pad wear sensor feature.

Do you have any other details about the splice? Is there another thread I missed somewhere? Search hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks,
Kurt
you just have to cut the connector off and turn it around so that the sensor matches the VW plug if that makes sense. oldracer has a thread with the exact part nos. for hawk. i picked my sets up from tire rack.

shark -

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The HPS pads were probably my worst pad experience i've had for performance (which isn't saying much really), they are low dust and noise but the pads turned into poo outside of normal operating temps. I'm talking maybe 4-8 hard brakes and they noticeable fall off quick. I killed them after one really decently spirited canyon run (low midnight ambient temps) and had to retire them.
Switched to EBC yellows and will never look back. Some people say the HAWK 5.0 is much improved, but i don't see a reason to going back to HAWK given the price.

Positives - Noise, low dust, doesn't eat up rotors
Negatives- Horrible heat control, cracks, pad distortion and glazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts