VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last weekend i saw somwone i know run [email protected] and then when he went to back it up he blew 2 gear on the 020. I will be running GT30R on a 2.0 16v @15-17psi very very soooon! So what are the options for adding straight to the gears? Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (euroroccoT)

Kraftwerks has a kit for the 020, Quaife has a setup too along with a 6-spd conversion. Get a hold of Lugnuts, he runs one of the Kraftswerks trannies if I am correct.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (VW blk Jetta3)

I really don't like the cable shift, and my friend stripped 3rd gear twice on his 274whp 255ft/lbs mk4 golf, so really not convince about the whole 02A tranny being stronger.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

us2ba4dr rubs a Kraftswerk straight cut gear tranny. ran 11's on it. They will build i should say he will build it for about 3000-4000 and will take 6 months to do. All the parts are ordered in as the tranny order is placed. More than likely i will go this route or the g60 but the gears are awfully short in 1 and 2nd for my likeing.
just to let you know.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

From everything I have read, the weakest part of an 020 is the diff (as you know). Since you have a Peloquin, the next weakest part will be the inner splines on the gears themselves. An aftermarket gear set would probably be the solution, but those are HELLA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...
Thing I hate about the 02A, is that they're over $1000 used, and are not much stronger, so when you do blow one up, you're down $1000, not $300 that the 020 costs ...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (Agtronic)

From my experience the 020 is really weak it couldnt support the mind blowing 129 whp my jetta put out. and the O2A can handel almost whatever you throw at it as long as its not rediculas numbers. its also how you drive and stuff. like if you burn out all the time your tranny will blow because the diff.

Modified by VW blk Jetta3 at 4:06 PM 5-21-2004

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (tyrone27)

Well mine held up fine at 225ft/lbs for a few months till i blew the diff., I was thinking of cryo but not sure where to go.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by euroroccoT »
Well mine held up fine at 225ft/lbs for a few months till i blew the diff., I was thinking of cryo but not sure where to go.

The diff you blew was a stock one right? With the peloquin in there, the weakest link is the gears, and with that regard I have heard that 02A is the same, only it has a stronger stock diff ...

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (Agtronic)

Yeah it was the stock diff not the peloquin, im mostly looking for a place that can add strenght to the gears, i know all about the the pros/cons of 020 vs 02A and i made my choice last year when i chose my 020 with peloquin, is there a shop that specialize in gear strenghtening? so if i want i can take the tranny apart and send the gears?
Thanks
Agtronic:Hows the boosted life going?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (SSj4G60)

Quote, originally posted by SSj4G60 »
cryo the gears maybe ??
even with cyro treated gears in the o2o, it will still let go if you are making enuff HP( over 250hp)....020 trannies are just not stong enuff

just blew out my sec gear last night http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (leebro61)

Yeah i just emailed them, not sure how stronger they will be, but for the price it' worth trying. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,551 Posts

I think I hold the record for a stock gear 020 trans, I ran [email protected] with one and it ended up lasting 8 other 10 sec passes. also, last year I did three 1.5 sec 60' times on an 020 before finally shattering the 1st gear.
Remember , shock is the easiest way to break parts.
Get a hold of Shaun and see if he can help you out.
http://www.kraftswerk.com
edit: site is down hopefully back up soon.
see you at the track, Kevin

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Best way to add straight to 020 gear (lugnuts)

That's what i tougth, i know shock will kill any tranny beefed up or not, i never broke a gear yet but i never made more than 205whp and ran best [email protected], but i was just looking sincec this is the year where i will be going faster, i don't think ill be doing any 1.5 60ft http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif so should last for flat 12s run.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Lugnuts any suggestions or ideas to add strenght, or just run them till they break? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts