VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i runs 94 fuel and timing now is stock 6 with 15psi
i use to be able to listen for timing but with my new mounts i cant hear nothing,,,,,,,,what are my options to test for ping so i can advance tiiming and still be safe
running 440injector now

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Re: best way to avoid pinging? (autobahnjs)

Quote, originally posted by autobahnjs »
anyone ?

Well as you might know the afr helps to cool down the combustion chamber, so running lean with to much advance and boost can be dangerous.
I look for small little puffs when doing dyno pulls.
Another good way to find the sweet spot is to run some 100 octane, retard the timing a bit and walk it up until the power starts to just drop off.
Once it just starts to drop, back off a few and call it a day.
I go with 2-3 degree increments.
This is not for the butt dyno.
50/50 water methanol injection will allow you to run max boost and timing on pump gas, works great.
I time G60's per the factory specs, unless I'm squeezing juice or running mega boost on pump gas.
Then you can back it off a few.
I'm certainly no guru engine tuner, just my personal experience so I thought I'd share.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: best way to avoid pinging? (JBETZ)

great help thanks ya for now me to stock setting it is..just thought if i can get more timing safely...but thanks man

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Re: best way to avoid pinging? (autobahnjs)

Quote, originally posted by autobahnjs »
great help thanks ya for now me to stock setting it is..just thought if i can get more timing safely...but thanks man

lower compression more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts