VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tore down a 2L 16v block from a '92 passat that I am rebuilding, and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for cleaning my rods and pistons. I can't remember exactly, but I think I saw on "The Marshall Plan" webpage that that guy used simple green on his rods and pistons. I think he soaked them over night in it, then just hit them with a wire wheel.
I just want to make sure I wouldn't do any damage to pistons/rods with a wire wheel. I plan to have the engine balanced after rebuild as well. Thanks,
-Nick

·
Registered
757 Posts
Re: Best way to clean pistons/rods. Recommendations? (NTRabbit)

I used Easy-Off oven cleaner (it was the only thing I could find under the kitchen sink that seemed "powerful" enough) on an old block/pistons and it worked pretty damn good. Don't really knnow if it's harmful to the metal or not, but I seriously doubt it.
I just hosed down every thing, let it set for a couple of hours, scrubbed it with a brush then hosed it off.
Do it outdoors and use gloves. Oven cleaner is nasy stuff.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Best way to clean pistons/rods. Recommendations? (ValveCoverGasket)

yeah, i think I am going to soak them in a simple green mixture, then hit it with some sort of wire brush. Thanks for the input.
-Nick

·
Banned
9,489 Posts

It's impossible to balance after a rebuild... it has to be done prior to assembly. If you actually are having a machine shop balance your engine, then they'll clean the pistons because dirt has wieght also. So put it all in a box and drop it off... that's the easiest way to clean them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Best way to clean pistons/rods. Recommendations? (reflexbug)

Quote, originally posted by reflexbug »
It's impossible to balance after a rebuild... it has to be done prior to assembly. If you actually are having a machine shop balance your engine, then they'll clean the pistons because dirt has wieght also. So put it all in a box and drop it off... that's the easiest way to clean them.

thats a really good thing you told me that, because I think I would have assembled it first. I've never actually done a rebuild myself, although I have helped people. I soaked the rods and pistons in simple green, then hit them with a wire brush and wire wheel. They all look really good. Soaking them in simple green overnight really helped a lot. But I guess I'll just send everything to a machine shop for balancing now. Thanks for the help.
-Nick

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

dont know much about the rods or pistons but im guessing you have to take the whole engine apart to get to the right???? i would like to do a cleaning job on my engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts