VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

best way to grind out rust

767 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DuBLiFeh2o 
#1 ·
ok
my door is rusty
but its surface rust...
but the surface rust has made some dimples here and there...
and regular arm power and emery cloth isnt smoothing it out enough...
I want to grind it down SMOOTH.
would it be a bad idea to get an angle grinder and use that to grind off the rust?

#6 ·
Re: best way to grind out rust (Chapel)

So we're talking a larger area of rust then? If you use something hard (like a grinding stone) you risk going through the metal. Sounds like you really want to go out and get that angle grinder doncha?

#10 ·
Re: best way to grind out rust (driveGTI)

Chapel, if it is at the bottome of the door, you might as well go find another door. That rust no matter how much you remove will always come back... that is if it is a daily driver. I had mine all nice and painted and the door ended up rusting again there. Same with a rear hatch.. rust will always come back there too. sorry to say
Just warning you ahead of time.

#11 ·
Re: best way to grind out rust (BigCaddyHome)

i think you can buy the wire brush things in a type that will mount in a normal drill.... i think they are really cheap too...
i see them all the time at my local hardware store....

[Modified by MiCrO, 6:30 PM 2-12-2002]

#15 ·
Re: best way to grind out rust (cthulu703)

the wire brush will knock down the rust, but if you get an actual grinding disk it will take the rust off and give you the bare metal of your door, which is what you want. Once you have done that the grinded metal will be a bit lower than the rest of the panel and thats where the bondo or finishing putty comes in. After that you need to prime, sand and paint. Primer is not waterproof so even if you prime it and dont paint the door the rust will eventually come back, you can always keep repeting this but your best bet is to get it painted after. It shouldnt rust after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.