VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
baun,

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but whatev. Im from C-town originally anyways :p

In my experience a pneumatic descaler makes quick work of that junk. You can use dry ice also, which works quite well, its just...cold. And requires patience and some thick gloves haha. Thats not mk4 specific, but in general. Nissans, toyotas, mazdas, etc. They all have similar sound deadening which removes the same way.

Try harbor freight for the pneumatic descaler. I believe they call it an air needler.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I use inductive heating to remove it, Cost my 2500 for the setup but it takes the stuff off in miniutes not hours. I also used it on rusted hardware at the shop. Never have to buy expensive acytelene anymore

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I just use a propane torch and a putty knife to scrape it off. Heat till just starting to bubble, and it comes off right down to the primer very easily.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just use a propane torch and a putty knife to scrape it off. Heat till just starting to bubble, and it comes off right down to the primer very easily.
:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks for another option. I wont be attempting to remove it until this winters build. The bolt in roll bar is coming out and a full spec cage is being welded in. I figure that would be a good time to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts