VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know some performance tricks and tips for getting some more horsepower in the engine dept. I have a 1985 vw gti with an 1.8l 8v equiped with CIS injection. I allready have a custom made ram air system (Made with aluminum dryer hose, and some heater ducting supplies), K&N air filter, and a supersprint header and exhaust sytem. However Im not sure what to do next ...Ive heard many people have had trouble when switching camshafts and have said that they just got a ruff idle and barely any noticeable performance increase. Im thinking about getting a kit to make into a 2 liter but im not sure how much hp that will get me. Any input like brands, certain camshafts, kits and heads, that will provide me with smooth noticeable horsepower increases would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Travis
_______

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (badwolfie)

Uh, didn't you already post this?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (Mooz!)

sorry , i cant be bothered typing it all out !!!!!!!
go on golf 1 forum , i talked about 2 litres with cams and valves a couple of days back

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (ian c - U.K.)

quote:[HR][/HR] rotting cylinder head[HR][/HR]​
???????...I must have missed this 1...I feel so out of the loop right now

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (Vr6DubNY)

i mean the bad cylinder head corrosion corosion that occurs on vr6's !!!!!
funny how the instances decreased in model years after G12 was introduced

·
Registered
12,784 Posts

heres a few companies that will help....Garrett, JE, Autotech, Spearco, HKS,.....see where im headed with this

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]and suffer from bad weight distribution and a rotting cylinder head
i mean the bad cylinder head corrosion corosion that occurs on vr6's !!!!!
funny how the instances decreased in model years after G12 was introduced
[HR][/HR]​
It just never ends
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (Rob Vila)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It just never ends
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
exactly what i used to say whenever another vr6 came in with a leaking head gasket

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: BEST WAYS AND COMPANYS IN ORDER TO GAIN HP?!! (badwolfie)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Im thinking about getting a kit to make into a 2 liter but im not sure how much hp that will get me. [HR][/HR]​
Dont bother with any sort of "kit" which involves macheining. ABAs (2.0 8Vs made from '94-'99) are a dime a dozen, a simple and rewarding swap. The block, with a crossflow cyl head and motronic is rated at only 115hp, but the smiles come from the tourqe. Its up around 130ft/lb IIRC (I may be wrong on that one) If your worried about just making horsepower your going to end up frustrated in the end.
Stick around and you'll realize we have alot of other things to address along with HP.... first being simple maintance on a 17yr old car. After that comes suspension (chassie bracing, tires, springs shocks, swaybars), brakes, not outrunning your headlights, keeping your tranny from blowing up (happens tooo much!)
As for companys... First off you should get to know a few people. The dealer, http://www.parts4vws.com, and prolly one decent (german) import garage.
Basically stick around here, read up. You'll learn fast.

Back to your question, easiest, most efftive is the ABA swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts