VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. On top of my car getting a hit and run, having to call off my kidney donation to my dieing friend, now my car is having runing issues.

I drove the car earlier today with no issues. I park the car for about 30 min or so then I go to start the car and it hardly starts. It has a VERY ROUGH IDLE and the check engine light starts flashing. I have a 99.5 1.8T Avant. Never had any running issues before. I'm a little bothered. This came out of nowhere.
Any ideas on what this could be? I am new to this car as far as the engine goes. I know nothing about coil packs or check engine lights. I'm used to my G60 Corrado. Thats about it. Any help would be really great. This last week has been hell.

Modified by 16v corrado at 12:25 PM 8-30-2006

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Best week ever. Period. Tech help needed. (16v corrado)

I had a similar problem, but for me it ended up that over a period of time the coil packs in my A4 would work themselves out to the point that that cylinder was no longer firing. Take off the plastic cover over the motor and see if any are sticking out at all, if your not sure just give them a push and see if that helps... Hopefully it is something simple like that
The coil packs are the black squareish things If you weren't aware

Modified by Seth6815 at 7:40 PM 8-29-2006

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: Best week ever. Period. Tech help needed. (Seth6815)

check plugs, wires, coilpacks, and the resistor on top of the airbox.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Best week ever. Period. Tech help needed. (seank)

Weird development.

I started the car this morning hoping something had changed over night.
Something did. The car fired up with no problem. Perfect idle. I am at work now, but when I get home I am planning on starting it up again. Any ideas? Does my car and Jesus just like messing with me?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Re: Best week ever. Period. Tech help needed. (16v corrado)

i gave you ideas, check them and see what you find, also get it scanned and see what was making it angry.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Best week ever. Period. Tech help needed. (threethirteen)

I will take a look at the car today after work. I don’t have anyone near by with a VAG-COM. The guys on Audizone are pretty sure it is the ICM (ignition control module). Looking into that now too.
My friend is pretty devastated. She is doing dialysis 6 days a week now. She might have to do it for the rest of her life now because of a rare condition she now has. Really lame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts