VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

best wideband?

3K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  badger5 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Re: best wideband? (bongoRA3)

Quote, originally posted by bongoRA3 »

Any solid facts to support this...or is this just purely opinion.

For about the same price as the Innovative setup, you'll have a dedicated external MAP, high quality EGT probe, all in a nice LCD display (no need to buy guages for all three, much less pods/cups, simpler wiring, cleaner install). Add in Zeitronix capability to add on warning windows as well as trigger outputs and logging capability of boost, EGT, and AFR by rpm, as well as peak/hold values, and it's not much of a comparison. The Innovative products are good, I just think the Zeitronix is more of a complete solution.

#11 ·
Re: best wideband? (Adam@Unitronic.ca)

Quote, originally posted by Adam@Unitronic.ca »
Yeah, who needs to see past 6500 anyways.

Zeitronix > all.

actually when your in the seat, you can see the entire tach... BUT the speedo isnt visible till 20mph.... who cares on that

I went with the innovate to mach gauge color effect and look... when i was putting together my BT setup mike@tyrol told me to pick one from the 3 I listed... damn, i wish i knew the zeit came with all those features....

#13 ·
Re: best wideband? (foxracr95)

If you said the zeitronix is your choice because it has a better price....I wouldn't disagree, but as far as features, reliability, and accuracy innovative takes the win. And for cars that solely rely on a widebands output for running in closed loop....not too many people trust other products than the LM-1.
And wiring is as neat as you make it....and doesn't get any simpler than wiring up a wideband. If you can't handle wiring up an ignition and ground...maybe you should have someone else do it for you.

#14 ·

If you said the zeitronix is your choice because it has a better price....I wouldn't disagree, but as far as features, reliability, and accuracy innovative takes the win. And for cars that solely rely on a widebands output for running in closed loop....not too many people trust other products than the LM-1.
And wiring is as neat as you make it....and doesn't get any simpler than wiring up a wideband. If you can't handle wiring up an ignition and ground...maybe you should have someone else do it for you.

Nice

#15 ·

I never said wiring the wideband was hard. I implied that wiring up the Zeitronix wideband WITH EGT AND BOOST is a lot simpler than wiring in a boost gauge and an EGT gauge and power for them and where to put them both ALONG with the wideband. Reliability? What are you basing that off of? They use the same sensor, not much else to fail. Features? LM1 has warnings for EGT, boost, and AFR? Can the LM1 simulate a shift light? How about the big clunky LM1 box? That's fun to find a place to hide too. Zeitronix has great customer service and is easily reached and usually respond quickly to emails. I don't have any experience with Innovative to compare to on that account. And FYI, I do all my own work on my car. Do you?
I don't care what wideband you or anyone runs. But the Zeitronix is just as good if not better than Innovative's wideband. Like I said, it's more of a complete solution than having to buy an LM1 and a gauge and a boost gauge and an EGT and a shift light and and and and and......

#16 ·

And FYI, I do all my own work on my car. Do you?
I don't care what wideband you or anyone runs. But the Zeitronix is just as good if not better than Innovative's wideband. Like I said, it's more of a complete solution than having to buy an LM1 and a gauge and a boost gauge and an EGT and a shift light and and and and and......

I wish i had the time to work on my own car......

edit: strictly jealous

also I DO ALL MY work, included the gauges in the pic. Till this latest project listed in the sig, but i picked the entire setup mind you soup to nuts and this is the first time im ever that im havin another person touch one of my cars!

Modified by MY05GLI at 5:26 PM 5-13-2007

#17 ·

I don't have any experience with Innovative to compare to on that account.

Well then how can you recommend one product over the other if you only dealt with one.

Oh...and the majority of people running lm-1's don't use the clunky controllers or gauges. Just use it as an input sensor for a software based programmer or sem. As for the versatility of the zeitronix....the egt and map readings are a joke. I'm sure when your doing hard pulls on a track or highway...your going to take your eyes off the road to focus on the tiny display.

#18 ·

Reliability? What are you basing that off of? They use the same sensor, not much else to fail.

They do use the same sensor....but at least the innovative unit can tell when the sensor is reading out of range and just shuts down due to the error....unlike the zeitronix unit which just proceeds to give you inaccurate readings. But i guess it makes up for the that with having a nifty shift light for an affordable package price.

#22 ·

They do use the same sensor....but at least the innovative unit can tell when the sensor is reading out of range and just shuts down due to the error....unlike the zeitronix unit which just proceeds to give you inaccurate readings. But i guess it makes up for the that with having a nifty shift light for an affordable package price.

Oh, so when your car is idling/running perfectly, but the sensor says 21:1 and 1.42 Lambda, you think it's performing correctly. When the sensor fails, its easy to tell, it just reads absolute lean. It's not that tough to diagnose.

Well then how can you recommend one product over the other if you only dealt with one.

Oh...and the majority of people running lm-1's don't use the clunky controllers or gauges. Just use it as an input sensor for a software based programmer or sem. As for the versatility of the zeitronix....the egt and map readings are a joke. I'm sure when your doing hard pulls on a track or highway...your going to take your eyes off the road to focus on the tiny display.

I can recommend it because it's a good product that I've had great success with. I've repeated several times, Innovative products are great, I just stated my reasons why the Zeitronix is an attractive alternative. If you're only using your wideband as input, then you have no idea what's going on. The purpose of a wideband FOR ME is so you can SEE what the air fuel ratio is, not to feed your engine management. How are the EGT and MAP readings a joke? It's a dedicated MAP that reads to 35 psi and a high quality K type thermocouple. You don't need to take your eyes off the road with the warning lights set properly, but yes, you can use the EGT and boost as tuning tools while doing hard pulls on the track or highway. If you can't drive in a straight line without looking forward, maybe you don't need all these fancy gauges distracting you anyways. I :gasp: can look at my wideband easily while doing 1/4 mile runs, especially since it's so easy to glance at my EGT, boost, and AFR all in one spot.

You haven't stated any reasons why the Innovative are actually the "best." You obviously have some ulterior motive for continuing this discussion with nothing constructive to add, while I'm not a seller of either of these products. Like I said, I was just suggesting what's worked wonderfully for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#24 ·

Oh, so when your car is idling/running perfectly, but the sensor says 21:1 and 1.42 Lambda, you think it's performing correctly. When the sensor fails, its easy to tell, it just reads absolute lean. It's not that tough to diagnose.

I wasn't referring to the sensor totally failing....but when the wideband overheats or isn't calibrated correctly or falls out of calibration. Innovative offers rpm and mapped based data logging as well. It also has an add on egt monitoring that logs as well. You just seem too quick to praise the zeitronix unit....like you have something to gain out of it. Thats the only reason I kept responding to this thread. I'm still not convinced that your not trying to "sell" it....but I guess I'm just skeptical with forum advertisers making recommendations and claiming no bias....

As for paying attention at the display when at the track.....I'm not going to even touch that subject with you. I know when I'm at the tree's the only thing I pay attention to is my shift light. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by bongoRA3 at 8:47 PM 5-13-2007

#25 ·

I'm still not convinced that your not trying to "sell" it....but I guess I'm just skeptical with forum advertisers making recommendations and claiming no bias....

As for paying attention at the display when at the track.....I'm not going to even touch that subject with you. I know when I'm at the tree's the only thing I pay attention to is my shift light. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I'm not even an employee of Unitronic and Unitronic doesn't sell widebands.
As for sitting at the tree, you should be paying attention to the tree and not the shiftlights.
When moving down the track, I"m sure you glance at the tach, glancing at the wideband/EGT/boost is no different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.