VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better bass...***HOW?*** ( Just upgraded HU but didn't help the bass really...)

Okay, yesterday I installed my new Alpine 9811 head unit. I also bought 2 sets of Kenwood 1739ie 3-way speakers, which pretty much stink. I had TREMENDOUS improvement after putting in the head unit but the Kenwood speakers sound no better than the factory speakers...both are 6-1/2 and this is in a 1996 Passat Wagon...so.......I'm looking into the Infinity Reference 600 2si but am wondering if I will be any happier with those...what else can I do without installed a subwoofer and amplifier??? The Infinity Kappas don't seem to fit my car (well according to Crutchfield anyway...

The real problem is the bass sounds extremely muffled
and there is a lot of vibration in the door panels...I'm bummed...

Any advice/recommendations would be very much appreciated... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by dominoSnow at 11:30 PM 6-28-2003

·
Registered
696 Posts
Re: Better bass...***HOW?*** (dominoSnow)

Doubt you will be happy unless you amp your speakers, or any speakers that you might get. Bass takes power.

·
Registered
478 Posts

I had a similar experience.
After installing an Alpine 7894 and Infinity Kappa 60.5 cs Separates (Front) and 42.5 i (rear), my system did not sound much better than the stock system. I was really disappointed.

I then added a Planet Audio Amp (50w x 4 + 200w x 1), and the sound came alive! I could not believe it!!!!! I have since added a sub, and now the system rocks.
Try adding an amp, you will be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Better bass...***HOW?*** (WaitingforaT-REG)

Okay, so it sounds like I need an amp...this is going to sound stupid but does this just plug in the back of my HU? Where do I mount the amp? Okay, I'm pulling out my Crutchfield catalog now to read about this stuff...I really am a novice with electronic equipment (install anyway) and am pretty psyched I've installed what I have so far, so why not an amp

Is the vibration in the door panels the same problem or do I need some type of noise dampening system/blocker???

Modified by dominoSnow at 12:06 AM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
696 Posts

Amp installs aren't hard if you are good at running wires. Just to give you an idea, you have to run a wire(s) from:
-battery to amp
-amp to ground
-headunit outputs to amp
-amp to speakers
In my car at least, it doesn't take too long... just had to remove a bunch of interior parts. Of course since I own a Corrado, I've probably removed every piece of my car 5 times by now and have the benefit of a trunk mounted battery. Overall though, its not a complicated install. Some might even call it fun...(I'm not one of them).

·
Registered
696 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dominoSnow »

The real problem is the bass sounds extremely muffled
and there is a lot of vibration in the door panels...I'm bummed...

Any advice/recommendations would be very much appreciated... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Modified by dominoSnow at 11:30 PM 6-28-2003

The bass sounds muffled because the headunit can't give the speaker enough power. More power should provide tighter, cleaner bass...as for the vibration in the door panels...I'm guessing its just a symptom of the distorted bass so it would also be eliminated (at least most of the vibration).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Better bass...***HOW?*** (Ratamahatt)

Thanks for the description...this really helps. So I already had to take my door panels off and I survived that...I guess just running the wires around would be the challenge and then where to put the amp...
I'm also thinking of downgrading the HU to a cheaper model (since Crutchfield gives you 30 days) and then put a little more money in the amp...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

I have a B4 Passat also. The doors require a lot of work in order to get reasonable bass out of them. On the B4's, there is a foam cup behind the stock speaker. The first thing you should do is cut it out so the back of the speaker now works into the larger air volume of the door. This alone made an improvement. The air volume in the foam cup is ~1/10 liter. The door is ~40 liters. Every car speaker I can think of is optimized for infinite baffle use, i.e. large air volume.
The other thing is that the B4 speaker mount behind the door panel is open on the side that aims towards the back of the car. The way VW gets around cancellation of the waveform off the front of the speaker vs. the back of the speaker is that they have a tight seal around the front flange of the stock speaker. That flange has a compression fit against the grille and seals the front of the speaker from the rear. When you take out the stock speaker the seal is removed. You need to reseal it or seal the open part on the side of the speaker mount. This is what I did. I used fiberglass but you could also use ABS sheet and duct tape then Dynamat the whole mess. In hindsight though I might have made more of an attempt to recreate the front seal. I think closed cell, squishy foam would have worked just fine and been a lot simpler to execute.
Bottom line, if the speakers aren't mounted correctly, more power will not get you more bass.
speaker

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Better bass...***HOW?*** (speaker)

so what system do you have running in your B4??? I did notice the foam behind the speakers...maybe I'll take that out. So on the rear speakers then, I need to seal the side that is towards the rear of the car???

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dominoSnow »
so what system do you have running in your B4??? I did notice the foam behind the speakers...maybe I'll take that out. So on the rear speakers then, I need to seal the side that is towards the rear of the car???

Everything I wrote refers to the front speakers only! I don't run the rears in mine, just a subwoofer out back. On the driver's side front door, when you take the door panel off, to the left of the speaker there is an open area*. You can look in and around and see the back of the speaker in other words. That is the part that has to be sealed off or, you need to make a seal from the front face of the speaker flange to the door panel grille. The more I think about it, that will be the easiest thing for you to do. I would go to Home Depot and get 3/4" Frost-King, self-adhesive gasket weatherstripping and run it around the circumference of the speaker flange until it is thick enough to meet the door panel grille.
speaker
*On the passenger side front door, the open area is on the right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts