VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

beware scam

799 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tkic 
#1 ·
HAHAHA hilarious huh..
i know its been posted serveral times.. but i just want my fellow vw's to read read read...
too good to be true you ask? i know better.. and didnt fall for it.. but i asked alot of friends and it seemed too good to be true. i did a search on the guys name.. and belive it or not..
it came up as a scam. i have my car here for sale on the forums. someone emails me that they are willing to match the price and pay for shipping.
this seem tooooo fishy. i already know its a scam. you dont even want to see the car? and you want my address? HAH nice try...
i typed in VW scam on the forums here and I find similar crap. so i am even more more more convinced. i already knew.. but just wanted to do my homework. i aint that stupid

the guy who emailed me is "James Theo". seemed like a legit email, obviously he read the post or SOMEONE read the post. but the email concerned me that he's asking for my full name and address right off the bat. HMMMM any one who tries that on this computer guy can go bang the wall they drove in on (insert bad words here)
me being a computer guy i dont fall for crap like this..and called the local FBI right away. they want copies of the email for documentation.
so here is a link to read the scam.. and fellow VW's please be careful.
http://www.thesambaforums.com/...t=253
what is funny.. the name james theo is listed in there.
number to your local FBI.
http://www.secretservice.gov/field_offices.shtml
and for kicks.. here is the email: yes.. it has vortex listed in the email hahahahahahha
-----------------------
Hello,
Thanks for the mail. I am interested in buying the 1988 VW 1.8 16v GTI at that price $2400 I want you to remove the ad from the vortex website and give me your contact details so we can proceed with payment. Regarding payment, I have suggested that my client residing in the states should send you a certified check of $6,900 which will carter for the cost price and for shipping. Its going to be a cashier's check so should be cashed immedaitely you present it at any check cashing establishment.I have an International shipping agent that will pick-up and ship the 1988 VW 1.8 16v GTI over to me here in U.K and its expensive though. So, on getting the check, you are to cash it and deduct the cost price then do me a favour of sending the remaining funds meant for shipping to my International shipper via Western Union Money Transfer .Immediately he gets the money, he will come for the pick-up. Confirm this and send your full name,phisical contact address and phone number which will be used in mailing the check payment to you via courier service. I'll be waiting for your favourable reply.
Regards,
James..

Modified by RCMits at 10:08 PM 2-14-2004

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: beware scam (DuBLover)

hahahahah hey i dont fall for any kind of email .. i see it everyday at work.. being an admin/server guy.. trust me.. now maybe one of theemployees at my work woulda fallen for it.. but still.. LOL
can you imagine how many people fall for this? even if they send out 10000 emails and 1 falls for it.. damn its worth it eh

#5 ·
Re: beware scam (RCMits)

where people get ripped off is... instead of going to like NIX CHECK CASHING which verifies the check right away..and then gives you cash in hand... i guess people deposit the check into their account. Now if its like Washington Mutual.. they will honor the check.
So now the person has this money.. and then western unions the money.. so now the person is in the hole about 4500. but couple days later.. the cashiers check bounces. the other party has 4500 and now your in the hole 4500.. and your bank dont give a crap.. you now need to fill that 4500 back.
pretty nifty if you ask me.
this makes me miss getting charged 4.99 a minute to talk to Santa
hahahahah

#6 ·
Re: beware scam (RCMits)

Quote, originally posted by RCMits »
hahahahah hey i dont fall for any kind of email .. i see it everyday at work.. being an admin/server guy.. trust me.. now maybe one of theemployees at my work woulda fallen for it.. but still.. LOL

Hehe, tell me about it. I can't put too much stock on the net. I can't even trust the "show/email me a picture of yourself thing."
And we know there's a huge contingent of people who fall for that.

#8 ·
Re: beware scam (vwfocks)

but see the scam is.. the check bounces. and where the problem lies is that.. people deposit into their bank account instead of just cashing it at a check cashing outlet.

I was thinking that too.. what if i tried to cash it and it actually went throo... HAHAHA
but karma goes around. what goes around comes back atcha 2 x's are hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.