VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've stated before on this forum, Car Groups/Clubs are under attack. Our hobby is slowly being "rounded" up by those who think of us as "Fast and Furiuous" types, out to race, and kill innocent by-standards.
A recent article in our local paper http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4286290/ talks about new City code to be crated to mitigate a VERY small but real problem.
We, as a group of car hobbiests, need to band together, and keep laws like this from being put on the books, and in the end, keeping us from enjoying our hobby.
The issue is not the need for new law, but the ability for law enforcement to "enforce" laws already on the books. Not bashing.
We need to band together and let our civic leaders know we have a voice, and keep them from stopping our hobby from become "outlaws", similar to those "motocycle" groups, who are now stereo-typed as "outlaws".
Those that are interested can contact me, or NCOA (see other posts), to join in this fight.
Thanks,
Larry Silver
VP, Nevada Car Owners Association

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (lsinlv)

The article indicates nothing about preventing the modification of cars, simply the act of racing. Great point and the city offers midnight mayhem to prevent the cars being on the street and enables people to race legally.
I don't see anything against modifying cars....

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (Todesengel)

Car hobbies, a recent kill by our group was something similar to this. A county ordinance which would require groups of 10 or more cars (like GTG's) would require getting a county permit. If not, the cars would all be fined!!
All it takes is a little nudge folks to go from this type of ordinance to total control of our hobby, and I'm NOT being paranoid. I has and does happen!
I'm currently working with car clubs in Parumph, to keep the Nye county from writting ordinance which will state the number of cars you can own/have on a piece of property.
We need to be aware of these issues, because many will try to slide them under our noses....

Don't losse the forrest through the tress folks, think big picture!!
Clearification: NCOA does NOT condone street racing.

Modified by lsinlv at 11:26 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

I think busting the observers, as well as the racers themselves is excellent. Street racing is lame. Anyone that contributes to it is a retard. Plain and simple.
I am all for what they are proposing.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (HiJinx)

Ah...but what happens if you're at a GTG with 30 plus cars and all of a sudden two jackasses take off down the street. That ordinance would allow the police to fine everyone at the GTG just for being there. Its too vague, opens too many holes for the police to exploit. Down with street racing but not when it takes away from GTGs.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (Perfekt)

I know in SanDiego if you get busted watching they take you to jail and you got to pay like a $500 fine! Something crazy-But its good, folks shouldn't be street racing especially when you got strips/tracks in the area!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »

The issue is not the need for new law, but the ability for law enforcement to "enforce" laws already on the books. Not bashing.
Larry Silver
VP, Nevada Car Owners Association

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (volklover)

Hey how about this for a new law. If you see a crime and you dont attempt to stop it you can be fined and imprisoned.
WAKE UP PEOPLE! Yes street racing is bad but when you make observing an act a crime everyone is in trouble.

·
Registered
'18 GSW 4Mo 6MT, '01 Golf 1.8T
2,053 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (Perfekt)

Quote, originally posted by Perfekt »
Ah...but what happens if you're at a GTG with 30 plus cars and all of a sudden two jackasses take off down the street. That ordinance would allow the police to fine everyone at the GTG just for being there. Its too vague, opens too many holes for the police to exploit. Down with street racing but not when it takes away from GTGs.

What if you're at church (if you attend) and as people are leaving two people race out of the parking lot and down the street... could they fine everyone in the church parking lot for being there at a so-called GTG? Or what if you're at a family reunion at a park with 30 relatives and 15-20 cars are parked there and the same scenario happens? I don't think a group of people should be able to be fined because of what 2 people did. Like Perfekt said... it's way too vague.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (ThatsGoodT)

NEWS FLASH FOLKS
You can already be charged with "Particiaption in drag racing" in Phoenix
in July of 1997 when I was arrested for it at Deer Valley.. they made 19 arrests and gave out 111 tickets ranging from curfew violations, pissing in public, underage drinking, and participating in drag racing.. even if you were just watching

Modified by CountBlah.. at 8:46 PM 2-17-2004

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (ThatsGoodT)

Quote, originally posted by ThatsGoodT »

What if you're at church (if you attend) and as people are leaving two people race out of the parking lot and down the street... could they fine everyone in the church parking lot for being there at a so-called GTG? Or what if you're at a family reunion at a park with 30 relatives and 15-20 cars are parked there and the same scenario happens? I don't think a group of people should be able to be fined because of what 2 people did. Like Perfekt said... it's way too vague.

Both of you are correct, it is a vague ordinance, that's why I'm here telling you to "GET INVOLVED", and not wait until it's too late.
Just because I drive a car with black rims, does not mean I race, let alone street race.
But as with all goo intentions, things can go awry! NCOA has worked in the past with many municpalities in our geographic area to help write ordinace. We have numbers, and are listened to, becuase we are the voice of the car folks, and usually logic.
All I am trying to do here is inform. Knowledge is power!!
If you are unhappy with the upcoming ordinance, then you need to show up in numbers @ the city council meeting early March.

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (jhayesvw)

Quote, originally posted by jhayesvw »
i had friends arrested and their cars impounded years ago in vegas for watching street races. that is nothing new.

As he throws his hands in the air with disgust!
Just let it go, doesn't affect me...???!!
People, if you wnat to go through life like a friggn Ostrich, then go ahead, but I for one will make my voice heard, and let my votes count.
My rant is over, for those interested, PM me, of please attend our next meeting tonight. 7:30 pm Skinny Dugan's Pub W. Charleston past Valley View.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

ya, all in all, I really don't care. I don't go to GTGs or street races, so either way, I'm in the clear.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »
As he throws his hands in the air with disgust!
Just let it go, doesn't affect me...???!!

I have posted before on your previous threads with no answers to my questions...........who is "they", what attack? what rights are in danger........are we as car owners in general or us that modify our cars in danger of this so called attack? I dont think Im in any trouble, because I dont street-race, I dont hang with huge crowds(unless clubbing, and I doubt I'll get arrested in there). The only people I see that wil have trouble are the Tuner-Kids with thier R.ice-Rockets, not the Euro Community as a whole(well maybe a certain few, u know who u r), but you keep telling us of these or "they", and that our rights are gonna be taken away, but Im not hearing or seeing anything........without attending that meeting, why dont you tell us exactly whats going on?
..........and with my bright-ass yellow Corrado, I think Im more of a Canary, not Ostrich!

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Beware: We are under attack! (Vamped)

PM sent
I can try to be succinct with this and try to answer you question, otherwise, please call me.
They are those people who want to have new laws added to the books which affect YOU and ME, car owners. These changes can be as simple as CC&R's or HOA rules, up to and including State Law (NRS).
How they can affect YOU or ME; how about previous posts where I've stated GTG's OF ANY TYPE, where MORE than 10 cars are involved, would require a permit. Or, how about City Councilman Gary Reese, petitioning, and getting passed a city ordinance which limits the number of cars YOU or I can own... or at least keep on YOUR or MY property. Or, how about GR, petitoning another ordinance which requires YOU or I to register ALL cars, regardless of their drive-ability.
I can go on, but I think most get the picture. Maybe this doesn't directly affect you, now, but in the end YOUR and MY rights are SLOWLY being userped.
I hope I've answered your question, If not, the PM still stands and I'd be more than happy to talk with you.
Modified by lsinlv at 3:19 PM 2-17-2004

Modified by lsinlv at 3:20 PM 2-17-2004

1 - 16 of 16 Posts