VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Yes you read that title right, we at BFI have begun a new project and its a Fox drag car. The beast is a 91 2 dr bought about a yr ago as a semi-runner needing a head gasket and possibly a new transmission. Head gasket was weeping between #1 and #2 and was swapped out with a SPA high compression head gasket. Trans turned out to simply be bad linkages/bushings and was good as new after being replaced.

Video made this past weekend for its maiden voyage to the track:

It has now been stripped down as bare as possible and we were able to get out a weighed 317lbs! Not bad for a car that begun life with only 2150lbs to haul from the factory. Also managed to kill the OEM clutch at the strip. This week a new clutchnet clutch and Jegs racing seat for the return trip to the strip.

Plans are to continue the upgrade in steps, finally reaching(hopefully) 400hp with a BT aba swap. Next major step is a small turbo on the existing Digi set up and motor, mostly as an experiment to see if we can get digi to run with boost. Following that plans are for 2 steps of ABA turbo builds. The first a medium boost set up running ABA motronic. Then a big turbo high boost quest for low ET's

More pics and details to follow...:thumbup:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kerensky

Not generally a 'drag guy' but I'll be watching this thread with interest.
We have all kinds here at BFI;)

vwturbofox

nice are guys going to get lsd for it. also the trannys cant hold a lot of hp i have broke a tranny on 22 psi on meth.
Yes I figure we will find all the weak spots of the Fox as the project moves forward. Already got the feelers out locally for a quantum or Audi 4000 trans. Though at this point we might be pulling the stock 5spd out and putting in a 4spd as at its current speed it doesnt get to the top of 4th even at the traps.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Hey Adam, So... how come I didn't know about this??

4 speed might be a good option for the strip. I'm also sure you've thought about it, but this thing needs, needs, to be running on alcohol. SPA can supply almost everything you need, and if not then I can help if you get stuck too. I have been considering building a 1/4mi specific Fox for years but never manage to clear out enough of the other projects to consider it, and would love to see you guys do it right. Seriously, with the times the Brazilians are running you could be building a seriously competitive FWD watercooled VW.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Yes SPA is on board already for quite a few 'special' parts;) >many we hope to sell in the USA in the near future.
Nice. Seriously, i'm hoping to see a alcohol fueled turbo lighting up slicks! To keep it full Brazilian style, a SPA blow through carb setup on the stock AP style engine would confuse the hell out of people, and the smell/burning eyes of the alcool setup would be mindblowing for most VW kids here :D

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Good to see you cut out the rear seat panel - it does nothing anyway. Following those lines, it might be worth cutting out the speaker shelf too and if you haven't done it already, there's two hugely heavy crash bars in the doors - they can be annoying to remove if the door is otherwise full (windows cranks etc) but they really do weigh a LOT.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice. Seriously, i'm hoping to see a alcohol fueled turbo lighting up slicks! To keep it full Brazilian style, a SPA blow through carb setup on the stock AP style engine would confuse the hell out of people, and the smell/burning eyes of the alcool setup would be mindblowing for most VW kids here :D

Uphill drag strip... awesome.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few more details about the car as it sits now. Has a custom set of coilover sleeves, springs and spring hats with MK1 Koni yellow front inserts and MK3 Bilstein sport rear shocks. Currently running 350lb front and 450lb rear springs.

Battery has been relocated to the rear in the spare tire well:

Gauges go in today

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
A few more details about the car as it sits now. Has a custom set of coilover sleeves, springs and spring hats with MK1 Koni yellow front inserts and MK3 Bilstein sport rear shocks. Currently running 350lb front and 450lb rear springs.
Nice. A1 fronts and A3 rears will let you get the proper South American drag stance going on :)

What's the plan with the car overall? Street legal or track only? Will you be trying to shave as much weight as possible from it (keeping stock glass etc?)? I would love to see a 2 door with just the outer skins left, with a fibreglass truck bottom, and all the flat glass replaced. Might start pushing you for what cats you can race in though..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is stage1 so to say with the level of the build as far as weight removal. We got more than I thought out of it and it is noticably quicker to drive. And we have plans to go run it again this weekend with a new clutch and some better tires for the next data point. But this will be the last time its street driven, in the future we plan to tow it to the track and back.

Down the line, that is after the ABA and turbo set up we will go back and put it on a diet again, lexan windows, fiberglass body parts, etc.

More pics, installation of the BMW E30 motor mounts also installed a 034 track density trans mount. Later we will be swapping to poly and possibly delrin motor mounts:

Modifications to the E30 mounts and comparison to the stock fox mounts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This is a great project. 77mph isn't too bad either.
Watching with interest for more updates.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts