VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making a quick answer type of post for anyone who's had vibration problems after installing the BFI motor mount kits. I installed the .5's (and G60 solid trans mount) on my '98 Jetta 2.0l about a month ago, and I've been chasing down reasons for vibration and knocked it down quite a lot before tonight...I finally got rid of 99% of it all with one thing.

I hadn't thought about (nor is mentioned in the instructions found on the site) the difference between the stock mounts and the new mounts as far as assembly needs. I tested this up to 80mph (129km/h) tonight and the feeling of the car is just like a stock car with ZERO vibration to think about.

All you have to do is uninstall the mounts and remove the 'rubber hood' that was attatched to the top hat of the stock assembly. You will need to pull with a little force to remove that hood since it's had the weight of the engine sitting on it for a long time...it can be on there pretty good but it's NOT glued on, just pull and it will come off nice and clean. Once you've removed that just install the mounts like normal. That rubber bit is what transmits all the vibration that many have talked about when they installed these mounts the first time.

You will have no more droning sound at 2-3k rpm that is very commonly noted as a problem after installing these mounts. No more vibration or mirror shaking (some say they have the mirror 'shaking')...nothing just smooth awesomeness and great shifting improvements to boot.

Bottom line...uninstall the mounts...remove that rubber hood from the mount top hat...reinstall the mounts...torque everything down properly...drive with a ridiculous grin! :thumbup::D

Torque specs (front and rear mounts)
44 ft*lbs (top through bolt front and rear)
44 ft*lbs (bottom bolt small mounts front and rear)
18ft*lbs (two bolts securing the rear mount to it's cup)

Kei

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I just bought .5's. Guys at BFI said vibrations are not noticeable on a vr, more noticeable on 2.0's..

No idea on this 'fix' though so someone may chime in on how valid it is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have BFI stealth mounts in my Mk3 1.8ltr. The car is fine above about 1000rpm all the way through to 5k. But the real problem is when im stoped at the traffic lights the steering wheel and dash shake/vibrate like crazy.

·
Registered
22,604 Posts
FV-QR

All you have to do to reduce the vibration on the BFI's is ride in a car with VF mounts, lol. Have them on my 1.8t and it vibrates like a bastard. Especially around 3500rpm for some reason. Much better now but were ridiculous in the winter when I installed them.

So yeah, off topic a bit. But BFI's don't vibrate compared to VF's.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Sorry but there is no way removing a rubber part is going to reduce vibrations. A much more likely scenario is during your removal and reinstall you 'adjusted' the motor more evenly on the mounts and/or more correctly torqued the bolts during the reassembly.

Also the OP is talking about an ABA, and the last two people have VR6's based on their sigs. Thats apples to oranges

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Sorry but there is no way removing a rubber part is going to reduce vibrations. A much more likely scenario is during your removal and reinstall you 'adjusted' the motor more evenly on the mounts and/or more correctly torqued the bolts during the reassembly.
This.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Surprise!!

I can back it up... I thought it was common knowledge.. Kinda funny you poor souls are driving around dealing with everything rattling like that. I wouldn't say 99% fixed.. but It for sure tones it down to where its barely noticeable.

The rubber piece allows a (tiny) bit of play between the motor and the stiffer mounts.. and what does play cause... vibration

:beer:

(just so nobody looks and sees I have a vr currently and gets it confused... Im talking about 2.0 ABA 93-99 volkswagen golf jetta mk3 a3 aba aba aba motors.......)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Mine barely vibrates. Except when cold.

I find that the car vibrates less with the additional G60 transmission bracket.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
You can come to my house if you like and drive the car in my back yard that doesn't vibrate and them drive my wifes car that vibrates like a mother. Same mounts. Same car. Only difference is the rubber hood.

I have also done it to cars in the past. Unless bfi is not consistent in the materials they use to make mounts I can see no other variable.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I'm not a physicist... I don't know why it works... The only theory I have is the thin rubber between the mount and the metal allows a small amount of play. Enough to cause vibration when paired with slightly stiffer mounts. I'm not saying every bfi mount will be fixed with this process because the metal mix mounts are way to stiff to be helped... But the .5 mounts are not that hard of a material.

All I'm saying is after removing rubber I have noticed a significant decrease in vibration. Even in cars where I took the rubber off immediately. You can call me a liar if you want. I don't know this fool nor do I care what anyone thinks of me. I'm speaking from personal experience that just so happens to confirm this guys theory

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
I'm not a physicist... I don't know why it works... The only theory I have is the thin rubber between the mount and the metal allows a small amount of play. Enough to cause vibration when paired with slightly stiffer mounts. I'm not saying every bfi mount will be fixed with this process because the metal mix mounts are way to stiff to be helped... But the .5 mounts are not that hard of a material.

All I'm saying is after removing rubber I have noticed a significant decrease in vibration. Even in cars where I took the rubber off immediately. You can call me a liar if you want. I don't know this fool nor do I care what anyone thinks of me. I'm speaking from personal experience that just so happens to confirm this guys theory
That's pretty interesting, I only really notice the vibes anymore if I let the clutch out below like 1300 rpms like 900 especially with my VR. Other than that if someones backing it up that might be enough for me to try this out. May I ask why you took out yours but not on your wifes car?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts