VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The Pwrhaus MK4 SMIC Kit is the the most direct and simple way to lower intake air temperatures on your 1.8T MK4.

This direct replacement bar-and-plate style SMIC offers increased surface area and more volume for vastly improved cooling performance with minimal pressure drop. With its precise welds, cast and sand blasted endtanks, this SMIC is strong enough to handle anything you can throw at it.

Multi-map sensor fittings - for both small and large sensors - removes the guess work and allows for a trouble free installation on any MK4 1.8T vehicle.

Intercooler Dimensions
Pwrhaus: 5.125" x 7" x 8.25"
Stock: 2.5" x 7" x 8"

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nice looking smic! I know it says "strong enough to handle anything you can throw at it", but let's be realistic here. About how large of a turbo (or hp level) can one of these puppies handle? Do you think it will support a gt28rs @22psi?

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking smic! I know it says "strong enough to handle anything you can throw at it", but let's be realistic here. About how large of a turbo (or hp level) can one of these puppies handle? Do you think it will support a gt28rs @22psi?
Right now we don't have an raw data, but we're working on getting on the rollers to see what the limits are with this Pwrhaus FMIC.
We've sold several already, so maybe one of your 1.8t brethren will chime in with a review. :thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any feedback on this SMIC?

Looking at this SMIC seriously.

Anyone have any data or feedback on it?

Anyone know how it compares to the Tyrolsport (which I've heard is a great unit, just bit more money). http://www.tyrolsport.com/mk4intercooler

Any info at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at this SMIC seriously.

Anyone have any data or feedback on it?

Anyone know how it compares to the Tyrolsport (which I've heard is a great unit, just bit more money). http://www.tyrolsport.com/mk4intercooler

Any info at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
This is a very new product from Pwrhaus and we're still working on gather some data for prospective buyers.
We have the SMIC installed onto a Mk4 here at the shop, but haven't been able to do any logging.
The owner of the vehicle has made comments about it improving the punch of his 1.8t - even in the 100F humidity down here in NC.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye out for feedback. Thanks Pete.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright everyone, so I was given a couple of logs earlier this afternoon and asked to put together a graph to show a before/after with the Pwrhaus SMIC (that's what everyones been waiting for!).

The test car is an AWD 1.8T with Stage 1 ECU flash, throttle body hose, intake, 2.5" turboback exhaust.

Both logs were done on the same day after the car was warmed to operating temperature - 89C and 90C, before and after. Base logs were run at ~11:30a, after install of the Pwrhaus SMIC at ~1:30p. I don't know what the ambient air temp was at the time, but we are in North Carolina so I would image hot and humid.

I did my best to filter through both logs and find as many pulls starting from ~2,000 to ~5,000 as possible. I then averaged out the intake air temperature at 250rpm intervals throughout that rev range.

Without further delay, here is the data put into a nice graph for everyone:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
whats the core size and over all size? any way to get any increased airflow to it ?

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
whats the core size and over all size? any way to get any increased airflow to it ?
Intercooler Core Dimensions
Pwrhaus: 5.125" x 7" x 8.25"
Stock: 2.5" x 7" x 8"

I don't have overall dimensions.
However, it does fit without modification on all Mk4 1.8T Golf/GTI/Jetta/GLI.

Some people will put a cutout/vent in their fender liner to promote 'straight-thru' airflow.
I personally don't know whether or not that modification is beneficial.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PSI Drop?

I've been looking at this SMIC for awhile now and I am considering purchasing one when I get my GTI chipped. I've submitted a question through your website but received no answer so I'll ask it here. What is "minimal pressure drop" in PSI? Do you have any figures or charts yet for this? BTW, the IAT numbers look good. I live in AZ so I would like to keep the intercooler away from in front of the radiator if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.. What is "minimal pressure drop" in PSI? ...
In theory, the pressure drop will be minimal [in comparison to a FMIC].
Pressure drop is more of an issue for those of us running stock turbos, or even k04 setups (high pressure, low flow).

Capturing the correct data to show pressure drop during normal driving conditions would be difficult, given the sensors, or lack thereof, on the vehicle.

Upgrading the SMIC to a larger unit, but still smaller then a FMIC, provides the benefits of superior cooling and slowing down heatsoak without increasing pressure drop in small turbo applications.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.