41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
:beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey pete i'm really interested in this smic, seems like great quality for a good price. When is the next promotion or sale for any products?:d

also on the hose replacement kit. Are the parts direct fit? Or some modifications neccessary? The reason i ask is because some other companys(won't mention names) the turbo inlet hose doesn't seem to stay on the turbo with a clamp. Any issues from your product regarding this? Thanks bud

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hey pete i'm really interested in this smic, seems like great quality for a good price. When is the next promotion or sale for any products?:d

also on the hose replacement kit. Are the parts direct fit? Or some modifications neccessary? The reason i ask is because some other companys(won't mention names) the turbo inlet hose doesn't seem to stay on the turbo with a clamp. Any issues from your product regarding this? Thanks bud
Yeah, the Pwrhaus SMIC is an excellent value. Improved performance, simply installation and money left in your wallet for other modifications! Right now we're sold out and waiting for Pwrhaus to get more in stock. Therefore, no promotions are running.

The Pwrhaus hose kit is also plug and play. I haven't received any feedback on TIP fitment issues and the 1.8Ts at the shop with the hose have been going strong for over a year now. Some recent customers have had a hard time using the straight coupler that connect the pancake pipe to the SMIC, but that was either because it's a very snug fit, or the last batch had too small of a coupler. The kits were sold out before it was brought to our attention, so we weren't able to measure and check for ourselves. Either way, that's the least beneficial hose in the kit, so maybe some guys were just tossing it; we'll never know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, the Pwrhaus SMIC is an excellent value. Improved performance, simply installation and money left in your wallet for other modifications! Right now we're sold out and waiting for Pwrhaus to get more in stock. Therefore, no promotions are running.

The Pwrhaus hose kit is also plug and play. I haven't received any feedback on TIP fitment issues and the 1.8Ts at the shop with the hose have been going strong for over a year now. Some recent customers have had a hard time using the straight coupler that connect the pancake pipe to the SMIC, but that was either because it's a very snug fit, or the last batch had too small of a coupler. The kits were sold out before it was brought to our attention, so we weren't able to measure and check for ourselves. Either way, that's the least beneficial hose in the kit, so maybe some guys were just tossing it; we'll never know.
Ok well I'm definitely considering buying the smic sometime this month. How does it stack up to the competition?

As for the tip and hose kit I will probably buy those too. Hopefully I won't run into that smaller coupler problem. :what:

Thanks for your response and any input on this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
with the $100 off sale I had to try one of these. Qualifier: this is out of order for my build so no drivability difference will be noticed yet. Motor is a 02 ALH with 11mm IP and 205 injectors. BUT, I plan to upgrade turbo to Garrett 17/22 (with TIP), intake mani and EGR delete then a tune.

First pic below is the stock ALH pieces on the ground beneath the new parts I put in just for comparison. BTW, I had to trim the 'scoop' after this picture to fit the bumper back on. A lot of guys just remove it. Not arguing about that, just an instal point.

So this is really about install on a TDI. It was plug and play except one small point. I had to put 1/4 inch spacers between the intercooler mounting tabs and the car-side bracket to space the intercooler upwards just slightly. The input hose was hitting on two A/C lines that run along the frame in the engine bay. It was easy and a good idea anyway. The stock SMIC has rubber isolation mounts that don't fit into the PWRhaus unit so I cut rubber spacers to give me a little bit of an isolation mount. 2nd pic below is a close up of the spacers

I also swapped from the stock plastic ALH pancake pipe to a 1.8t metal one I grabbed at the junk yard. Unrelated to the intercooler install but I used a 50 mm silicon hose as a coupler to go from the pancake pipe to the turbo intake. the stock plastic pancake pipe has a rigid coupling on it that is rumored to fail. No personal experience with that, just read that comment a few times before. Other than that, it was all direct fit. It even came with sensor adapters so it will bolt right in.

I am impressed with the quality, it seems to be well made. I'm not advanced enough to verify air cooling claims but can't see any reason why they wouldn't be accurate. I think you have to consider ducting though also (true for stock intercooler too). I've read some guys remove the wheel well liner to improve flow but I'm worried about road gunk build up more than the wheel liner blocking flow. I've had two cars that the intercooler was almost completely clogged (outside airflow not internal) by tar, grime, etc kicked up by the wheel. Trying to clean those out was a lost cause, I gave up and got replacements from the junkyard. If you noticed the junkyard marking on the one I removed in the first pic... The ducting on the front of the intercooler is probably just as important. Air flowing in the bumper vent would rather flow around the face of the intercooler unless you have some ducting to force it through instead of around. I'll stop my rambling here and let the aeroengineers and fluid dynamics guys pitch in

As to install, took me about 3 hours but that includes bumper, wheel liner, headlight etc removal and replacement and not having a good hose clamp tool. Channel locks are not ideal! Fitting all the hoses takes a bit of finess too! But it wasn't technically difficult. I also had the bumper on and off a couple times to trim the front ducting for a good fit. My bumper sucks, its from a junkyard too and is stretched a bit.

Personal impression: I really like this unit, it bolts in easily and should give me some cooler air once I get the rest of my mods done. I'm giving it a thumbs up. Always been very happy with BFI and their service too.

So here are the pics

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
with the $100 off sale I had to try one of these. Qualifier: this is out of order for my build so no drivability difference will be noticed yet. Motor is a 02 ALH with 11mm IP and 205 injectors. BUT, I plan to upgrade turbo to Garrett 17/22 (with TIP), intake mani and EGR delete then a tune.

First pic below is the stock ALH pieces on the ground beneath the new parts I put in just for comparison. BTW, I had to trim the 'scoop' after this picture to fit the bumper back on. A lot of guys just remove it. Not arguing about that, just an instal point.

So this is really about install on a TDI. It was plug and play except one small point. I had to put 1/4 inch spacers between the intercooler mounting tabs and the car-side bracket to space the intercooler upwards just slightly. The input hose was hitting on two A/C lines that run along the frame in the engine bay. It was easy and a good idea anyway. The stock SMIC has rubber isolation mounts that don't fit into the PWRhaus unit so I cut rubber spacers to give me a little bit of an isolation mount. 2nd pic below is a close up of the spacers

I also swapped from the stock plastic ALH pancake pipe to a 1.8t metal one I grabbed at the junk yard. Unrelated to the intercooler install but I used a 50 mm silicon hose as a coupler to go from the pancake pipe to the turbo intake. the stock plastic pancake pipe has a rigid coupling on it that is rumored to fail. No personal experience with that, just read that comment a few times before. Other than that, it was all direct fit. It even came with sensor adapters so it will bolt right in.

I am impressed with the quality, it seems to be well made. I'm not advanced enough to verify air cooling claims but can't see any reason why they wouldn't be accurate. I think you have to consider ducting though also (true for stock intercooler too). I've read some guys remove the wheel well liner to improve flow but I'm worried about road gunk build up more than the wheel liner blocking flow. I've had two cars that the intercooler was almost completely clogged (outside airflow not internal) by tar, grime, etc kicked up by the wheel. Trying to clean those out was a lost cause, I gave up and got replacements from the junkyard. If you noticed the junkyard marking on the one I removed in the first pic... The ducting on the front of the intercooler is probably just as important. Air flowing in the bumper vent would rather flow around the face of the intercooler unless you have some ducting to force it through instead of around. I'll stop my rambling here and let the aeroengineers and fluid dynamics guys pitch in

As to install, took me about 3 hours but that includes bumper, wheel liner, headlight etc removal and replacement and not having a good hose clamp tool. Channel locks are not ideal! Fitting all the hoses takes a bit of finess too! But it wasn't technically difficult. I also had the bumper on and off a couple times to trim the front ducting for a good fit. My bumper sucks, its from a junkyard too and is stretched a bit.

Personal impression: I really like this unit, it bolts in easily and should give me some cooler air once I get the rest of my mods done. I'm giving it a thumbs up. Always been very happy with BFI and their service too.

So here are the pics

How do you like it now that you've been able to put some miles on it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
How do you like it now that you've been able to put some miles on it?
I've got about 500 miles on it now and no issues but unfortunately I got out of order in my mods! not a big deal but I really won't be able to tell what mod does what because I went out of order. For example, I haven't "gauged" the car yet so I can't measure any change in EGT, boost or turbo inlet temp. sorry. I just added a PD 150 intake with an EGR delete last weekend and wow! noticeable change. I hypothesize that now I've opened the intake up a bit, I'm getting some benefit from the nice intercooler! 'Installing' Malone stage III tune this weekend and that should really wake up my old TDI. Unfortunately, because I went out of order, I won't be able to attribute the improvements to different parts or mods. Long way of saying I really like this intercooler but I can't give any measurable results.

I forgot to mention, I'm still on stock down pipe and exhaust which is further hampering the turbo (and the intercooler) from really doing their best.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.