1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From VW's description of the Bi-Xenon system for the CC:
Quote »
Bi-Xenon™ Headlamps
A VW headlamp system which shines brighter than halogen or normal filament bulbs. The light beam in a Bi-Xenon™ headlamp is created by an arc of electricity inside the light bulb filled with xenon gas. And, both the low and high beams use the same bulb. The figurative "good idea" light bulb. The Adaptive Front Lighting System comes standard with your CC's Bi-Xenon™ headlamps and actually turns the headlamp up to 15 degrees in the direction you're headed while cruising at freeway speeds.

Can I infer from the last sentence that AFS isn't active at low speeds, such as on slow, winding mountain road?

Modified by oktoberfest at 9:26 AM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: Bi-Xenon question (oktoberfest)

Quote, originally posted by oktoberfest »

Can I infer from the last sentence that AFS isn't active at low speeds, such as on slow, winding mountain road?

If I remember correctly, the system isn't active from 0-9 mph, active cornering from 9-30 mph, does something else from 35 mph - 60 mph and is capable of "highway" mode after a certain amount of time at a certain speed. There was something written as well about a rain mode (if the wipers are on) but I don't know if VW will activate that or not. On Bimmers, the light switch has both a "manual" mode which completely disables the 'active' functions and you just get straight Bi-Xenons and then the "Auto" setting which is not only the auto turn on/off mode but the active corner function as well.
I'm sure someone out there knows more but that's a start.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

I think it's worth it just for the cool housings & increase in light output. Mostly the light output though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: Bi-Xenon question (MaxHedrm)

Quote, originally posted by MaxHedrm »
I think it's worth it just for the cool housings & increase in light output. Mostly the light output though.

My wife bought an '05 TSX and I've hated my Accord's halogen lights ever since. Not that a TSX has the best HID setup - the cutoff is ridiculous to meet US specs and no fogs is a sin. Plus halogen hi-beams. But as I travel a lot for business, the first time I drove behind HID's (G35 I think) I swore the next car I bought (and everyone thereafter) would have them until something better came out. Plus I'm 44
and, like it or not, moving towards old fart territory means you can't see as well. When you turn 60 (according to the averages), you'll need 4X more light to see the same as a 16 year old at night
. So, I'm not that bad yet but the eyes ain't what they used to be and I really appreciate the extra output.
(sigh) yes, getting old sucks.

Modified by volsfan0911 at 7:23 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I'm not old, but now that I've owned a car with HIDs, I won't go back. The HID output of the MkV is great. I haven't had the chance to drive a MkVI, of course, but if it's anything like most HID systems, go for it. It's not all that easy to retrofit later, not if you want all the leveling systems.
I'll be test driving a GTI with HID when they come out so I can see how well the AFS works -- it'd be nice to have it on cloverleafs -- but it's not going to make me run out and buy a new car (though our next one might well be a Golf TDI in 3-5 years).

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS; 2021 Audi RS5
8,957 Posts

Quote, originally posted by oktoberfest »

AFS is only inactive under 10mph, at least on the CC. It's a pretty remarkable and useful feature.

Modified by caj1 at 7:27 PM 8-18-2009

·
Premium Member
2013 Audi TT RS; 2021 Audi RS5
8,957 Posts
Re: Bi-Xenon question (Boosted2003!)

Quote, originally posted by Boosted2003! »
Are you sure your not thinking of the corner lights the CC have is activated under 10 and not the AFS?

AFS is active at any speed above 10mph. The cornering lights are mainly for the very slow speeds (under 10mph) when AFS is largely useless. AFS and the cornering lights can work together up until the speed in which the cornering lights become inactive.

Modified by caj1 at 7:50 PM 8-18-2009

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: (Buran)

The Bi-Xenons are on my Passat. I will not want to go back to owning another car with regular halogen lights. The Xenon makes seeing road irregularities at nigh a snap (unlike most regular halogen lights) I notice the Adaptive lights activates between 10 and 25 mph. It is designed to illuminate corners while turning; the system certainly does this well. I'm not sorry at all with taking the Bi-Xenon option on Passat which was a $900 extra at the time.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bumping a some what older thread...
What is the reliability on the design for this system?
I go to the dealer tonight and will be placing an order for a GOLF TDI and I'm on the fence about this system still.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: (brnscofrnld)

Don't know if there's enough time on the US systems to evaluate long term reliability on the motors, etc. HID bulbs themselves are fairly roboust although they will eventually burn out like any other. MTBF is 3-4 years on the current stuff (Osram, Valeo, etc.). They will loose intensity after a while and start moving down the temp scale (not as 'white'). Balasts can go but the OEM stuff should be very well sealed. Not sure what a replacement bulb is going to sell for - knowing VW/Audi - it won't be cheap. I personally am not in favor of using HIDs as your DRL but no choice on the MK VI units (there's no halogen unit at all - just the HID projector, turn signal and LED city light). That seems like it is going to be a lot of start up cycles which can't be good for bulb longevity.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are we to guess that the lights will be automatic with that option?
My truck has the auto lights where you don't have to think about turning them on. I like the option even tho I will over-ride them when driving on certain roads during the day and turn them on anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: (volsfan0911)

I don't much care for DRL's. I'd be looking to cut the signal wire that activates them when the headlight switch isn't actually on. I've investigated this "fix" on other cars (ie Toyota), and there does seem to be just such a wire on them, so hopefully VW's is the same way.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Re: (Buran)

... which can be changed, for those folks who don't like to be seen on the road. I guess it can keep you awake at twilight and other low-visibility conditions, avoiding all that incoming traffic about to smash into you...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Re: (feels_road)

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »
... which can be changed, for those folks who don't like to be seen on the road. I guess it can keep you awake at twilight and other low-visibility conditions, avoiding all that incoming traffic about to smash into you...

Fortunately, I'm one of the 631 intelligent drivers left in the U.S. who is fully capable of making decisions about when headlights would be a good idea (low contrast scenarios as above being one of them).
I also would prefer to not put an extra 20K hours on HID bulbs just to appease the safety nazis. So I'll be programming mine out (if that's going to be possible) via VAG-COM when it gets in. $0.02. Of course, the way things are going here in the USSA, we'll probably have DOT subsidized headlights shortly with publically funded rebates for a certain number of hours of usage..........

Modified by volsfan0911 at 10:22 AM 9-10-2009

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.