VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My first post here, so I hope this is where a service question should be posted, or someone will direct me. I have a 2013 CC R-Line with adaptive Bi-xenon lights. I just replaced the bulb on the left side and noticed that it remains on high beam all the time, while the RH continues to operate properly. I believe the shutter on the LH isn't working and would like some help diagnosing why. Some questions I have are:

Is there a fuse of each side? If so, can someone tell me where?

Is there a solenoid or relay? Same location question as above.

What else might be the cause? I have replaced the bulb again, removed the entire light assembly to inspect and clean it internally, and nothing changed. I appreciate the wisdom I have read on this site for the past several years, just never needed any for myself until now! Thanks!

Max

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Yes there is a fuse for each light in the Fuse holder C (inside the cabin on the driver side).
However it seems that you are getting power to your light, its just the shutter seems to not work, am I correct? I believe the whole headlight would not work if the fuse was blown.

If you have VCDS you can go to Xenon Module ( i think the address is 56) and do output test. There is a specific output test for shutters. It will clearly tell you if the shutter is not working, by showing the relay load.

I believe the relay for the shutter is part of the ballast. Ballast is the "metal box" attached to each headlight.

Thats all I have.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The high-beam shutter is just a solenoid inside each headlight housing. One end of the solenoid coil is connected to ground, and the other end is connected to Pin 11 of the 10-pin connector on the back of the headlight assembly. The ground pins are 5 (brown) and 7 (brown), on the 10-pin connector. The left headlight Pin 11 wire is green with a purple stripe, the right headlight pin 11 wire is yellow with a black stripe.

Each pin 11 headlight wire connects to the Central Electrical Control Module (CECM), with no fuse between these. The CECM switches +12V to these, to activate the High Beam shutter.

Use a Voltmeter to determine if the CECM is providing +12V power to pin 11, only when the high beams are engaged. If +12V is present, when the high beams are disengaged, then the problem is the CECM. If the CECM output works properly, then the shutter is mechanically stuck in the open (highbeam) position. Maybe you would have to get into the headlight housing to try to unstick it.

You can check the continuity of the shutter by unplugging the 10 pin headlight connector and measure the ohms/resistance from pin 11 to pin 5 (or pin 7). The solenoid is probably something like 50 to 120 ohms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CC'ed! You have given me a lot to check-out, which I will get to this weekend. I'm having trouble understanding how to determine where to locate pin 11 on a 10 Pin plug? Can I identify it by the wire color, or is there a diagram available? Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.