VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving in town...then my car just turned off and I thought I heard metal clanging...kinda like some teeth came loose somewhere in some gear. When I try to start my car now...the starter just spins hella fast and nothing happens(my RPM hits about 3-400 or so while the starter is whining), no fire...the motor doesn't turn at all..just a spinning starter and a tach showing 3-400RPM. Also there's a slight rocking motion about 1/10th of how the car rocks when it's starting for real. I checked my belts and they're there.
What could have happened to my car?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Would that explain why my car just shut off out of the blue though?
I have an Aamco tranny that's still under warranty (2nd gear grinds like mother sometimes and I already have an appointment). So I hope it's a tranny problem (bet you've never said that before).

·
Registered
2001 AWD New Beetle, 2013 Audi S5
649 Posts
Re: Big, Big Problems (themachasy)

I would bet something else since you're getting rpm signal that means the crank is turning. Try marking the crank pully with a pen or whiteout or something, try to start and see if it has moved. You might have sheared teeth off the timing belt.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was one of the first things I did. I actually just put a dab of spit on the belt...didn't move. Like I said...the starter goes...the belts don't....no spark or anything. All you can hear is the starter going.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah just had my dad turn the key while I watched...definitly timing belt. I looks like it's trying to go but moves about 1cm and can hear what can only be described as a peice of rubber flapping against a metal gear. Stupid timing belt.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Re: (Buschwick)

Quote, originally posted by Buschwick »
Yeah just had my dad turn the key while I watched...definitly timing belt. I looks like it's trying to go but moves about 1cm and can hear what can only be described as a peice of rubber flapping against a metal gear. Stupid timing belt.

yea def sounded like a t-belt issue from the start...hope for you your valves didnt have a party with your pistons...cuz that means $$$$ http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
567 Posts
Re: (Golfmk3_18)

i had the same type deal one of the t belt pulleys wore so it couldnt grip the t belt rendering it not able to move i had to rebuild the head get it milled i was kinda lucky in a way i only bent cyl 1 and 4 valves but my car wasnt runnin then cut out i shut it off and it just didnt start up bent the valves from cranking it actually good luck dont get jerked when u get the head rebuilt

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not getting rebuilt..
I'm getting a fuggin horse...when it dies I'll ride its offspring...and so on

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
over $1800 plus tax,..ended up with 8 trashed exhaust valves for anyone who was wondering how much it deflated my wallet.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR TIMING BELTS PEOPLE!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
105k....
I bought the car when it had 88k about a year and a half ago...if the guy had taken care of it like he should have I would not be in this position, that belt should have been changed long before I even bought the car. Buyers beware I guess.
Since my $6500 cash purchace I've bought a shiny new Aamco transmission, replaced a whole set of ignition coild by now, replaced the PCV system, and now bought a rebuilt head (mine).
Nothing but a peice of garbage if you ask me being about $13k into an 8 year old car with 88k.

Modified by Buschwick at 7:44 PM 9-19-2008

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OH and a new OEM DV, a y fitting in the cooling system that was tricky to find...things just always break on me....always.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: (Buschwick)

well you did put 17k miles on it so you could have changed it out before then and saved yourself quite a bit of money
why did you have to change the tranny?
the coils are to be expected on these cars its about like changing the plugs haha

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Re: Big, Big Problems (Buschwick)

Quote, originally posted by Buschwick »
Today I was driving in town...then my car just turned off and I thought I heard metal clanging...kinda like some teeth came loose somewhere in some gear. When I try to start my car now...the starter just spins hella fast and nothing happens(my RPM hits about 3-400 or so while the starter is whining), no fire...the motor doesn't turn at all..just a spinning starter and a tach showing 3-400RPM. Also there's a slight rocking motion about 1/10th of how the car rocks when it's starting for real. I checked my belts and they're there.
What could have happened to my car?

Noooooooo!
sounds like the timing belt broke. Comp test her and see. It will spin pretty dam free with 8 bend valve letting all the air out.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the point...with 88k it should have damn been done already.
And about 3 months after I bought it my LSD exploded through the tranny case...needed a whole new transmission.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Big, Big Problems (velocity196)

Quote »
Noooooooo! sounds like the timing belt broke. Comp test her and see.

Thank you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Re: (golfa89)

Don't go trashing VW just because you can't keep up with scheduled maintenance. Maybe you should've taken a look at the service intervals required to keep it running right. Go buy a Hyundai. My dad has one and all he has to do it is change the oil and spark plugs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.