VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little about me: My name is Mike, I'm a 23 year old Finance major at Penn State. I've been lingering around the forums for a couple years and never really contributed anything about my own vehicle I merely just read up on things I didn't quite understand. Time for a change!

The Car: It's an 2001 180 Quattro TT. I purchased the vehicle after a late night cruise in my wrangler left me in the backseat of a parked car. I picked the car up bone stock with just under 90k on it in October of 2011. The mods came that same week, slowly but surely it will be a fun stage 2 daily.

The Wrangler:

It was time for boost. So a TT was in order.

When I brought her home:

I first picked up an air filter from Autozone, which has since been replaced, and fab'd a short ram intake together from pieces of a friends old set up. Fortunately I don't have pictures of this ugly set up.

I couldn't stand the look of the stock wheels. I wish I was fortunate enough to get the fat fives but this was not the case. So a change of color was in order.

Plasti-dipped my stock six spoke wheels:

and then the fun began:

2 Coils went. I was blessed enough that the previous owner never replaced them so I got them free from the dealership. I also fitted the car with some new NGK plugs.

I started having idling issues and did a visual scan of many of the hoses only to find a massive leak in the PCV system.

I ordered a whole new system from 034 motorsports;

Install was brainless and it adds a bit of silicone under the hood. Unfortunately the idling issue persisted. After some research I pin pointed it down to one thing. The throttle body, and man was mine hideous.

I cleaned it up using carb cleaner and miraculously my idle went back to normal. But I got bored that same day and decided to do a little baking.

And installed:

It was time for more maintenance. I did the Timing belt accessory belt and water pump as well as a new thermostat and housing. No photos here.

As I said before I hated the stock wheels and had the urge to buy new ones so I pulled the trigger on a set of used Miro 349's I got for a great deal from a guy at my work. There was an air cooled VW event being held in the parking lot one day, and a guy named Brent (from Maryland) was there with old wheels from his 996. I scooped them up.

Being that they are 5x130 I needed adapters. So I bought H&R adapters for it, 25mm in the front 30mm in the rear if I remember correctly. Then I finally mounted the wheels.

Then it took a turn for the worst, I heard a slight tap upon start up which over a weeks time progressively got worse. It could only be one thing. The cam chain tensioner. So I replaced it the timing chain the half moon seal and gasket. Ahh the pleasures of variable valve timing.

No photos of the actual process, but I know everyone loves some head.

While the valve cover was off, why not strip it and spray it. Decided on VHT wrinkle in black.

And again I hit more issues. While leaving my bosses stone driveway I bottomed out ridiculously hard, being used to the wrangler, and cracked my oil pan broke my dogbone mount in half and cracked my downpipe. So I got back to work.

Went with an oem pan, RAI Dogbone mount, and 42DD 3" catted downpipe.

Cracked stock downpipe which broke at the flex pipe:

New downpipe:

So after slaving away at the downpipe a reward was in order. Unfortunately its not a tank for bags. But it may be just as good.

Time for more goodies. I ordered a boost gauge. Yet again another easy install. I used an mk2 TT vent pod from osir and modified it a little and it fits super snug.

Then some front end lovin. FK badge-less grill.

And then the snow came.

After some 3rd gear cyclones the inevitable happened. My tires were shot.

So I replaced them with some directional tires and I am back on the road.

The build continues... when I get back from school in the summer.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea they are directional. The car sits in the winter being as I am at school. Got my car tuned by Gonzo, went up to his shop today and met him personally. He's a good guy, and he can tune like a mofo. Pushin 23 lbs. through every gear now. The amount of power given by a simple flash is such a beautiful thing. That is all for spring break. Over summer I hope to accomplish by h2oi:

Shaved front bumper
FMIC
New steering rack (mine leaks)
Black roof
coils
new catback

·
Banned
6,020 Posts
Nice to see this thread up Mike. Gonzo is a solid dude. I'm glad you like your tune. Make sure you add Max's control arms and DV to that list. The DV will add more responsive boost to your setup. The rear control arms will give you a considerable bump in tire life. Especially when pushing them.

Car looks good :thumbup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Control arms are a definite. I have a considerable amount of unwanted camber that needs to be addressed. Though I do have a forge splitter valve. I forgot to add that in my pictures/build. I'll toss a pic up for safe measures. I'm impressed with Gonzo's file as I may be the first with it. Its a new file that I do not think has seen the streets since his incident with uni. I will be adding springs to my wastegate in the near future. I see a huge drop in boost in second gear WOT but I do hold significantly more boost in every other gear.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
can gonzo do any emissions deletes i noticed with my tune the n249 was dumping boost alot. as soon as i deleted it the car was alot faster.... the wastegate springs help the car run more efficient and recover faster but i am willing to bed your major boost loss is do to the n249

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I don't think that's camber tearing up your tires like that...

get your toe checked...it should be what audi calls for .12 to .20 inches.

I had mine dialed out (zero'd) before thinking less toe the better...it was ****in my tires up causing cupping and uneven wear despite already having control arms to dial out the excessive camber... last year I had the toe dialed back to .12, and my tires are sitting prettery now...

check that toe

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
my tires previously had angled wear but what you see pictured is from 3 gear cyclones for like 3 minutes straight:laugh: I don't doubt I have toe issues whatsoever. As far as the n249 I've contemplated bypassing it. Does anyone with experience have any insightful words about it?

Personally I think I'm just experiencing wastegate creep but after a trip to home depot I will be able to tell you with confidence.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I don't think that's camber tearing up your tires like that...

get your toe checked...it should be what audi calls for .12 to .20 inches.

I had mine dialed out (zero'd) before thinking less toe the better...it was ****in my tires up causing cupping and uneven wear despite already having control arms to dial out the excessive camber... last year I had the toe dialed back to .12, and my tires are sitting prettery now...

check that toe
I'd have to disagree on some technicalities here Kris! His case and yours are different:

you began to have toe-related wearing issues as a result of dialing "0" static combined with a softly sprung setup (lots of movement). Since our rear suspension toes-out on compression, the movement that resulted from the softly sprung rear end, increased the dynamic toe changes towards toe out and began unevenly chewing your tires.

His situation, judging from the tire picture, is mostly camber related! He probably still has a healthy dose of toe in, so if toe was the culprit in his car, the wear would be on the outside edge and also show sign of cupping that usually go hand in hand with toe issues.

In any case, he desperately need rear adjustable lateral links. :beer:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hey Mike,

The 034 Motorsports silicone breather/pcv kit that you got.. did you pull the intake manifold off or just go in from the bottom side? I've got these hoses sitting in my house but just haven't been motivated enough to do it yet.

Dish

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Dish

The kit isnt too difficult at all to install. I was able to just pull the bracket off the front of the intake manifold that holds the dipstick. With that pushed over to the side you can wiggle everything in. Maybe took me 45 mins all in all.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.