VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out some brake kits and all in all I found a kit that will work nicely within a 16" wheel, but I need at least a 10 mm spacer to clear the caliper from the wheel spoke. But I clear it by 1.5-2 mm. Is this enough ? I am counting on it since I can go up to 10 mm and not have to perform surgery on my front fenders, all I'd have to do is cut the little lip that is bent inward on the fender off and I'll be ok, along with a little negative camber. The other question is that I will need H & R spacers, but I've never seen a 10 mm one. Anyone have any pics of it ? I know it is hubcentric, but I need to see it to get a better analysis going on paper. I've tried to go with Brembos within a 16" wheel, but I can barely cut it radially, and need at least a 20 mm spacer to clear the caliper axially, so Brembo won't work. RPI Equipped promised me a Porsche Big red (993) kit with reworked hats and brackets so that it will work with my 16" wheels, but so far they've failed getting a rear skin for me in time, along with a supersprint muffler that needs to be replaced. The only other kit I found out that is promising is the AP Racing kit which will work nicely with a 10 mm spacer. Feedback on brake kits please ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Big Brakes MK3 application (zero7405)

I had the same problem fitting my mk2 GTI with Big Reds w 13" rotors under 17s. At the time H&R only made the 15mm spacers that were hubcentric (in 4 lug at least), I just bought the 15mm spacers and had 5mm machined off the back side and it worked great. If you realy want to stay with 16s the AP Racing is a good choice, its about as small of a caliper that you will find that still performes well.
I just wish more wheel companies would start making wheels to fit over all these huge brakes so we didn't have to go the spacer route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Big Brakes MK3 application (ByronN)

in actuality, the porsche calipers from the 993 are supposed to work as well within a 16" wheel (radially that is). So are the Brembos. But offset-wise is the problem here. Even AP Racing's CP5200-1012 kit (for the VR6) will clear radially with the most room to spare (compared to the others) but will need a 15 mm spacer to clear the wheel spokes, and even then I am coming too close (about 1.5-2 mm). I would rather do this and shave some metal off the closest part of the calipers (to the spokes) rather than go even wider with the spacers and do major work to my fenders. AP Racing (UK) said they can run a special set of the 5200 with my bolt pattern (that kit is made for the VR6) but I have to go thru stillen, and stillen does not list this kit, so I am looking for alternate sources in the UK (AP Racing said they would not sell me the kit directly, even though thier quoted price of $ 1800 is really good). Also RPI is going to get back to me within the week with regards to thier tweaked Porsche kit, so lets see how that turns out. I guess the only real variable in the design of these kits would be clearance of the rotors to the knuckle (where the strut and tie rod attaches). That's where a really good machinist can do some work to come up with the right hats and brackets to be used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Big Brakes MK3 application (zero7404)

Is you car a 4 or 5 lug? If its a 4 lug you will have an easier time with getting the clearance you need for the caliper to clear the spoke. The 4 lug cars lower ball joint is located inboard further than on the 5 lug VR6 cars allowing the rotor to be pushed inboard further and reducing the size of the spacer reqiured.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Big Brakes MK3 application (ByronN)

thats the news I was waiting for !!! I layed out my entire wheel/caliper/rotor setup on paper, showing clearances/clashes I'd get with either the AP Racing CP5200 kit or the Brembo Gran Turismo kit. The dimensions I get require A) the entire rotor/caliper assembly be moved further inboard (this will ultimately be limited by the bracket used to mount the caliper), or B) using H & R Spacers. I want to do this with modified hats/brackets that will allow clearance, but this is going to be very hard to do for a wheel with such a poor inside backspacing (i've only got like 24-27 mm max). But then again u can't blame BBS because the wheels were intended for a 'stock' vehicle. If I really wanted to spend some money I'd go with some nice 2-piece wheels, such as HREs. The other issue, dealing with spacers, is: how far can I push my wheels out before I run into serious modifications on my fenders to completely clear my tires during extreme driving/cornering. By looking closely at the rolled edge of the fender lip, and dropping the front end enough I can figure that adding a 15 mm spacer will require cutting off that rolled lip without touching the rest of the fender (thus giving you the 'stock' look). Going further than this will probably require the fenders be cut (destroying the conservative 'flat' portion that you see going accross the arch), otherwise if you attempt to pull the fender outward you will probably buckle the metal, or tear it (this is what I am trying to avoid). I have to check with my body shop to ensure that using a 15 mm spacer with the car lowered will work ok. Some camber can also help alot I guess. BRITS on the west coast said that I can get an AP Racing 5200 kit (made for the VR6) but with hats that have the 4 bolt pattern that I need. I also asked them to look into making custom hats and brackets to give me what I want without using spacers (this is where I can get what i REALLY want - hat thickness can be made to EXACTLY what the wheel needs to clear the caliper AND the fender, so that i don't have to lose a few mm's because I needed 13.5 and had no choice but to with a 15 mm since H & R's incriments are in 5's). know what I mean ?
This is too much for me, my brain is fried for the night...
one question though, if I put spacers on the front I have to also match them on the rear, correct ? Who provides longer lug bolts ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.