VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: Big Brother is watching (scarboroughdub)

I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as you don't drive like a moron and cuase an accident you'd have nothing to fear. It'll make it much easier for the courts to settle bs claims and make it easier to prove whether an accident was caused by mechanical fault or driver error. My only concern would be that the data should be retrieved by an uninvolved third party because the manufacturers cannot be trusted in a case where they are liable.

· Premium Member
31,821 Posts
Re: Big Brother is watching (MitStandardUndTurbo!)

agreed. anything that can limit fraud is good.
ie - ppl lying about hitting something, then purposely driving into something to get the airbags to pop. true story, remember reading it somewhere, and she got nailed with fraud because the pattern of events didnt match. touche to crime fighting.

· Registered
4,544 Posts
Re: Big Brother is watching (spoonie)

i think its a good thing to keep track of how an accident occured, and thus make sure that fraud does not occur and to see why an accident happened(like that guy hitting a pedestrain at 150km/h and not braking) but here is my problem: will there be laws or rules in place preventing 3rd party(especially insurance companies) to take the information and saying to you 'well your black box shows that you where speeding 20 over on the highway 2 years ago, so we wont insure you'....... you see where im going with this?

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: Big Brother is watching (B_artman)

Quote, originally posted by B_artman »
i think its a good thing to keep track of how an accident occured, and thus make sure that fraud does not occur and to see why an accident happened(like that guy hitting a pedestrain at 150km/h and not braking) but here is my problem: will there be laws or rules in place preventing 3rd party(especially insurance companies) to take the information and saying to you 'well your black box shows that you where speeding 20 over on the highway 2 years ago, so we wont insure you'....... you see where im going with this?

From what I recall the black boxes only contain a few seconds (less than a minute anyway) worth of data. Just enough to help in investigating accident causes. If they began to track too much data they'd, rightfully, start running into privacy issues.

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Re: Big Brother is watching (B_artman)

Quote, originally posted by B_artman »
i think its a good thing to keep track of how an accident occured, and thus make sure that fraud does not occur and to see why an accident happened(like that guy hitting a pedestrain at 150km/h and not braking) but here is my problem: will there be laws or rules in place preventing 3rd party(especially insurance companies) to take the information and saying to you 'well your black box shows that you where speeding 20 over on the highway 2 years ago, so we wont insure you'....... you see where im going with this?]

Then no one of us would ever be insured

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem is that when you do get in an accident th einsurance company will try to manipulate this info to show that you are at fault so they dont have to pay the claim.
Have you ever been in an accident where you probably were not doing the most legal thing, but the guy who hit you was totally at fault, and the thing you were doing had nothing to do with the accident, well this little box cannot interpret that. I think this will just cause alot of claims to be deemed partially your fault and thus they will not pay out your full claim and you will now have higher insurance.
but the otherside of stopping fraud is still good, just dont know if my privacy is worth it.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: (ironmonkey)

You'd be more likely to benefit. Insurance fraud is one of the reasons we get butt reamed on our rates. If you were speeding and get in an accident and get blamed, that's the risk you take for speeding. There are way more positive points to this technology than negative. It allows the facts of the incident to be recorded. you get in accident you say you weren't speeding but really you were going 30 over. All this does is stop you from lying. If the truth screws you, stop speeding.
The hardest thing to determine in an accident investigation is exactly what the two vehicles and drivers were doing because peoples perceptions are skewed or they are lying. This takes away that grey area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.