VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting big bumpers on my 89 Gti 16v and i need a little help. I went to put them on and they don't really fit. do i need more than just the bumper cover? or am i doing it wrong. The front is new and the rear is a used peice. Any help please!!!!

· Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Big Bumpers (Barney Steele)

I put big bumpers on my small bumpered 88 recently.
The rebars are the same front and back.
Rear. Peel off the old small skin put the big one on. Use a couple of bolts at base of rear fenter to secure.
Front. You need to get big clips... Go to the junckyard and grab a set of rear ones... they work. Slide the big skin on... behind signals drill hole for a bolt... insert bolt, install signals.
Ta da.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Re: Big Bumpers (MK2'IN)

mid -90 up till they changed bodies came with big bumpers. i called the junkyard here they wanted $150 for them each! ouch! i went with http://www.certifit.com they have an aftermarket copy for $40 each only not all the locations ship. try calling which ever ones closest to you. I know for sure that the Oklahoma City location ships , but they were out of rears and won't have them for 3 weeks. I called friday. good luck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Re: Big Bumpers (MK2'IN)

Hey MK2'IN, I am currently in the process of doing some work to my 90 GLI 16v and I was looking all last week for big bumpers to no avail and with a stroke of luck a guy left a msg in my thread stating he had both front and rear bumpers, brand new, better than oem and never painted all black with rebars and clips etc.......was selling them for $320+shipping and left his # so I got right on the phone with him and called him and am now awaiting their arrival. Only catch is I payed 75 bucks shipping which is kind of steep, but it will be well worth it! Here's the link to my thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=927933 Good luck in your search!

Brad

· Registered
15,431 Posts
Re: Big Bumpers (vdubguy1002)

Those clips are really inexpensive. The big bumpers, interios, on the side there is a black pice you screw into the 4 holes, this ppiece should come with the skin, the clips it slides onto are cheap as hell, plastic and require two holes instead of one like the small bumpered ones. Plus the rebar for the smalls works for the big bumpers as well. All I ahd to get was the bumper covers and drill a hole in the fender to put the big bumpered clips into the fender.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.