VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I go out, buy an aftermarket replacement bumper cover. Packaging says 1991-1992 VW JETTA W/O FOG LIGHTS
Well, I have fogs so I take 30 minutes to cut and clean the fog light holes. I clean up the mess and go to put the bumper cover on, line everything up, clip on one side, go to the next and what do I see?
About 5 inches of space between the clip on the bumper and the clip on the fender. I bend the cover towards the clip and snap, there goes the side that's already clipped on. The bumper cover is centered. Do I need to hack this thing in half then bond it back together to get it to fit properly?
Anybody else have this problem?

Modified by slamn12 at 5:22 PM 9-11-2005

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: Big front bumper cover install (slamn12)

I have installed these bumpers many of times on the cars I have gotten! First question is.... Is the gap the same on both sides or is one side more or less then another? Second question is the bumper the one piece one with the spoiler built into it?

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Big front bumper cover install (WhiteScirocco)

It's the single piece unit. It just looks to be waaay too wide for the car.
Thinking of running some string around it and and bringing the sides closer together. Maybe that'll work.
Thanks Needy

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (knappy)

ummm, can't send something back that you've already funked with my good man. I'm gonna mess with it a few more times before talking with a wrecking yard.
Thanks scrappyknappy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The piece of " JUNK " that my A.M. bumperskin was so lovingly called, slid right on with the help of my wife. Now I jsut need to raise the front end about 1/2" and I shouldn't have to worry about scraping ants off the road.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (dmoney)

NP dmoney, I was just having trouble doing it solo. I would get one corner latched on and go to the next. Try to get it to slide onto the fender mount and POP.....the connected side would come off. Got my wife out there with me, slid them both on at the same time and it went on smooth as silk.
As long as the car is this low I'm not going to risk any damage to the OEM unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.