VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is my buddies car. Here is what is going on.
Everything was fine with the car. We were driving around all nite and then we shut the car off and it wouldnt start. It was as though the battery was dead. It would start to crank then die right out. so we pop started it. We got it to his house and parked it for the nite. the next mornin it started right up, and ran fine all day, then when we went to go out at nite the car would have trouble starting and not even start.Then when we could get it going and get it drivingas soon as the head lights went on, the car would seem to die out. We tried driving with out the lights to make it home, all the ligths on the car were dim, then the car just died out again, and we;d get it goin, start driving and then it would die out again. Now the car wont start at all, the plugs get covered in oil. .. this is how it was all explained to me
any input would help..
thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: BIG problem with 87 16valve,, any input will help<<LONG (Fettes Brot)

quote:[HR][/HR]Now I'm no mechanic, but that definatly sounds like an alternator on the fritz. kaput.[HR][/HR]​
That is a possibility, check if the belts are properly tensioned a loose alternator belt can cause the alternator to spin to slow thus not charging properly.

[Modified by SNAFU, 10:34 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: BIG problem with 87 16valve,, any input will help<<LONG (86gti8v)

also forgot to mention that the alternator is brand new, the belt is tentioned properly, i tested everything with a volt meter and it checked out ok. also forgot to mention that when the car is going, it bucks and misfires really bad, the wires checked out allright and the plugs were changed

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: BIG problem with 87 16valve,, any input will help<<LONG (86gti8v)

I used to have a 1987 16v (great car) and one of the things you want to
check out is the fuel transfer pump (in the trunk). Those are known to go after a certain milleage. The car stuters and jerks like you mentioned until the pump finally completely stops working. It can also damage your main fuel pump (under car)...
Mostly your problem sounds like it should be the alternator, but since you say it's not, try the xfre pump also, she was a real bitch towards me.

Goo luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.