VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
14,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a friend and I got to talking. I've got a 20V 200 TQ, and we're talking about mods. I brought up brakes and he asks, why? I mean, we've got a friend who tracks his 91 20V 200 all the time and he retrofitted G60's instead of the UFO's (less actual braking surface, but smoother braking, less warping, etc). He does just fine out on the track, turning pretty fast times and never boils his fluid prematurely warps his rotors or any other side effects of "too small" brakes.
So, I've decided, my money will go towards suspension and engine mods, because there really isn't anything wrong with the brakes that I currently have. Sometimes, I think people around this place put too much emphasis on upgrading brakes while modding a car. While I appreciate people's concern for other's safety, you also have to factor in the cost/benefit ratio. It's hard to find a great brake upgrade for under $2000, and I can't see me spending that much in performance mods, much for something that won't improve lap times that much.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Chris

· Registered
17,633 Posts
Re: Bigger brakes? Eh, I'll pass, thanks. (200HP4dr)

Likewise, it's often been argued that it's better to use the smallest wheel size available to fit over your brakes, instead of going for the +1 "look" of the nicer wheels.
This makes more sense in shorter track (like AutoX) since it effectively alters the final drive ratio (if you go with lower profile tires) but also saves weight/keeps the rotating mass closer to the center of rotation. Supposedly, this will help it stop faster too (the further away from the center of rotation the mass extends, the more inertia it carries and the harder it is to start/stop spinning)...
All in theory anyway

18's with 12" calipers are nice for the boulevard and highway

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: Bigger brakes? Eh, I'll pass, thanks. (PsyberVW)

For my brake upgrade path i'm planning better pads and OEM / Brembo rotors (not drilled / slotted) ... that's about all I can afford too (any larger in front and I'd have to +1" my wheels (currently 16"s ...)) ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.