VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 a4 1.8t lowered with 18" rs6 wheels, and i want to fill the space behind the wheels without out spending a lot of money. i figure bigger rotors will make a big difference... can i buy bigger rotors or put different audi rotors on like the tt or a8?

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Re: bigger rotors on 1.8t without big brake kit? (1.8turq)

3.0L front rotors, i got a set for sale actually with 10k miles on them
they are 12.3"
they also use the 3.0L carrier (TT carrier)
great upgrade, good brake feel of speeds over 50mph, but under 40mph, isnt much of a different in brake torque
the 1.8t front is a 11.2"

· Banned
3,263 Posts
Re: bigger rotors on 1.8t without big brake kit? (bugzy)

I was thinking of asking this same question myself.
Is the swap as simple as swapping the 3.0 carrier and disk onto the car, or is there more to it. Also, would you happen to know the part numbers for the carriers?
Thanks

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Re: bigger rotors on 1.8t without big brake kit? (UdubVdub)

yes, its that easy
and part numbers, not off hand
try http://www.ecstuning.com, they got a kit for it

· Registered
319 Posts
Re: bigger rotors on 1.8t without big brake kit? (1.8turq)

So I have the opposite question. I have 16" steelies for the winter I have to think about, so I want to improve braking performance without a bigger rotor. Would something like a StopTech Stage II kit give me noticable braking improvement at higher speeds? I'm sick of that squirmy feeling on hard braking from 80+.

· Registered
545 Posts
I never used their rotors, but always a fan of their products. Actually when ever my ecs rotors fail, thats when I will swap it for these stoptechs.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (initiala4)

if i do decide to go with the 3.0 rotors will i still be able to use the stock 16" wheels if i need to or will there be clearence issues?
are the 3.0 rotors the biggest that i can get on without messing with the stock 1.8t calipers, and still have enough room for the stock wheels

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Re: (1.8turq)

I've got the 3.0 fronts (nice upgrade) and use OEM 5 spoke 16's for winter. There are not many brake klits that will fit under 16's. I know that ECS tuning has a couple of options ...
Good luck.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Re: (Stevelev)

As far as im concerned, updated rotors (same size) dont necessarily give you any improved braking
to improve braking you typically have to do one of the following:
increase braking torque, usually by larger rotors, strong calipers or better pads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.