VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project - FOR SALE :(

Ok guys,
Thought it was time for an update on the project. It¡¥s very nearly on the road, only have some wiring to do and have the mapping finished off. The last 15 months has been spent designing and building the rather obscure TVR Cerbera inspired dash. Now even I didn¡¦t think it would work but after the re-trim I am very please with how it looks! Admittably a lot of you will not like it so that¡¦s why I have posted some pics of TVR interiors to show you where the madness originated from. The actual design was conceived from a TVR Cerbera, but 90% of the final design is basically custom. It¡¦s made from glass fibre with a skimming of filler to get a good finish. The door cards are also fabricated in much the same way. The 4 button looking objects and the round knob below on the drivers door card are in fact warning lights, full beam, indicators (left and right) and handbrake, the knob is an Ali boost control I put together. The Speedo etc is called a Stack display ( http://www.stackltd.com/mshome.html ) not sure if you guys have heard of them or not? Then x3 greddy warning gauges are mounted below the steering wheel. Everything else is pretty much self-explanatory I think¡K A climate control unit will be position where the ¡¥work in progress¡¦ sign is. CD player will be going in a fairly unique place when I get time to do it¡K The speaker pods are just temporary, as I will be making some from scratch soon. As for the rest of the car, it has a 20vt engine in it. It¡¦s an AGU head, which is the larger port version as you may be aware off. The turbo is an IHI VF34 with internal wastegate on a Jabbasport flowed cast manifold running an after market Haltech engine management system. It has vibra technique engine and gearbox mounts, Mercedes sprinter van intercooler and VR6 rad.. x2 kenlow slimline fans and the usual turbo engine accessories like dump valve etc. Custom boost pipes and exhaust etc etc. The engine is currently running standard internals but soon to be uprated. So although it¡¦s not 100% mapped yet I¡¦m hoping for about 350-370bhp. It has a full rallye/syncro AWD system in it but I hope to have haldex in it by Christmas, 6spd version ƒº. Externally its pretty much standard. Cleaned and smoothed a few bits up, like remove rear towing eye, passat de-locked handles, mk2 golf front splitter etc etc Front bumper has been modded to allow max air flow to the intercooler. It has Porsche 17¡¨ splits and Porsche brakes.
Its been a long nearly 4 yrs since I started this project, all I can say is that I enjoyed it, but I will never do it again!!
I think that¡¦s a rough spec list, so here are a few pics¡K enjoy! Please feel free to comment and say what you think, I'm really not bothered if you don¡¦t like any part of it as at the end of the day I built it for myself¡K but obviously I hope you do like it

Cheers all,
Ben

Ok here are a few pics of TVR interiors...
A TVR T350 :

A TVR Tuscan speed 6 :

A TVR Cerbers :

And my car. Pics taken from the web and they have been taken at the Edition 38 show in the UK 2 weekends ago...

Modified by biggerbigben at 3:57 PM 9-12-2005

Modified by biggerbigben at 12:27 PM 9-8-2006

· Banned
5,134 Posts
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (biggerbigben)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Frickin Amazing work! Looks awesome. I know its 'work in progress' but what climate control unit are you going to use?

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (actionVR6)

Its a mk4 golf climat control unit. The actual mk4 heater box is already in, I just ran out of time before the show to fit the unit... Now that I don't have to rush I can make a better job of it!
Ben

· Registered
3,591 Posts
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (actionVR6)

A little to 'funky' for my taste, but major http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for creativity and hard work.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (danny_16v)

thanks guys for the comments.
I took it for a quick spin at the weekend and I was blown away by the speed of the thing! It's only mapped upto about 5000 RPM so still another 3000RPM to go but it does fly regardless, and the noise is awesome! 1 bar of boost at a little over 3000RPM... oh yes!!

· Banned
14,492 Posts
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (g60wcorrado)

dash is unique, but i think you need to upgrade the pedals, they look out of place

any 1/4 mile times with the syncro setup?
the leather re-trim came out great http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,149 Posts
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (biggerbigben)

Wow, you have some serious dedication to your project and it shows! Definitely a "one off" car there! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I also second the request to post some vids if you can!

· Registered
18,244 Posts
The work is simply incredible and the most unique interior I have seen...it tops DSP's Corrado roadster in terms of originality...in my opinion.
However, I would have followed the TVR interior a bit more as far as coloring goes...I think the vertical portion of the transmission tunnel should be black carpet, to break up the monotany (sp?) of the beige leather a bit. The quality of the trim, is however, top notch. Cant knock it in the slightest.
When's the PVW feature?

· Registered
170 Posts

awsome, origonal, dareing, love the interior and your bringing the car into the new millenium man its an amazing project you must be really comited and stoked with the result

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (chazg60)

very nice. i usually am not very fond of TVR dashes, but it looks amazing in your car.
also love the STACK istrument panel.
the car as a whole looks great too, and i bet it's a blast to drive.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (brilliantyellowg60)

I have some vids somewhere, will post them soon! No 1/4 times yet as its not finished but will hopefully have a few next year. Hopefully it will get in the 12's, but no idea... Will remove the interior when I try though

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (KrazeeKorrado13)

Thanks, not sure its better than DSP's corrado????
I was planning to go with a feature from a magazine called 'The Golf +', do you guys get that mag in the states? PVW have also asked aswell and so has Euro tuner...
Ben

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Biggerbigben's 20vt 4x4 project update.. TVR interior, 360bhp etc (turboit)

They are 17" porsche splits by 8.5" all round with 205x40x17 rubber. No idea on the offsets as the wheels were cut down from 9.5's.. It has 20mm adapters on the front and custome 35mm on the rear. Jay, (G60Renshaw) might be able to help you on the offsets as I got them off him!
Ben

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the comments, I'll try and post some vids soon! need somewhere to host them if anyone has any ideas??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.