VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Here's mine:

2015 or so, on a ski trip to Wolf Creek, staying 20 minutes away in Pagosa Springs, CO. Sort of staying in between pagosa and wolf, at some high end cabin my uncle rented. I just bought some new skis, and I didn't have time to get the bindings mounted before I headed out there, so I had a ski shop in Pagosa install them... but I needed to pick them up BEFORE going to the mountain.

Anyway. Car is my 95 Audi S6 Avant. Wake up super early, maybe 6:30, still in pajamas, I throw on a coat, brush off the S6, and start heading into town. I'm not really awake. Beautiful alpine morning, fresh snow everywhere, roads are clear tho. Music is on, just optimized.

Coming into town, I noticed red and blue behind me, and pull over in front of hte ski shop. Weird that a cop is so active this morning. Then he pulls up right behind me.

wtf.jpg

He gets out, I roll down my window and this is what transpired:

Cop: DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?!?!
Me: No
Cop: It took me x minutes just to catch up with you! I clocked you at 96mph in a 55!!!
Me: What?! No way. Sir, I am not awake. This is a big dumb station wagon. There is no way I was going that fast. (maybe I was, idk)
Cop: 40 over is reckless driving and I can legally impound your vehicle! You're endangering the lives of everyone!!!!!
Me: >Looks away from him, down the street, looks behind him, down the other way<. Who?! You and I are the only ones awake right now!
Cop: ....

Wound up getting a $475 ticket... which I immediately threw away and forgot about until the following year. I wanted to go back to CO and go skiing again, so I actually called around to try to pay for it because I didn't want to get rolled again and discover there was a warrant out for my arrest. I talked to highway patrol, I talked to pagosa police, eventually I got pointed to some court/records lady, and she told me that for out of state tickets if they don't get paid long enough, they just write them off as a loss or something. I was like... so... you're telling me I don't have to pay for tickets in CO? Sweet!

Unfortunately, something changed because my buddy got a ticket in 2019 and it DEFINITELY came back to him in a different state.

Photo from the trip:

Registered
Ci, Xi
Noted, never paying a CO ticket dang reread the post

My speeding ticket story isn't interesting, but this idiot I went to school with wanted to show off his clapped WJ Grand Cherokee ( keep in mind this is 2017), does 90 mph past the high school, 25mph school zone, and is promptly pulled over. Lost his license and got charged with reckless driving. He sure impressed the kids walking by 馃檮

Registered
My buddy and I took our families on a ski trip to Big Sky. I drove my blue 2018 Golf SportWagen with Golf R headlights and a cargo box on top. He drove his blue 2019 Alltrack with Golf R headlights and a cargo box on top. Both with MN plates.

The first day we didn't plan to meet up until we got to the first hotel in MT that night. He wanted to leave super early. He had about a 3 hr lead on me when I got on the road.

So the day goes by and I'm a good way into Montana. A trooper going the other way sees me and u-turns through the grass in the median and 4-wheels it up a steep embankment and pulls me over.

While I waited on the side of the road, I called my buddy and told him I got pulled over. It turns out he had made a detour and was now behind me by about an hour and a half. I told him where I was and to watch out for Caleb (the trooper's name.) I ended up getting a ticket for doing 90 in an 80.

An hour and a half later my buddy calls me. He's on the side of the road with Caleb. His ticket was for doing 89 in an 80.

2 late model blue Golf wagons from MN with the same headlights and a cargo box up top get pulled over by the same trooper on the same section of road and get ticketed for the same violation.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
When I was 18 I was working as a technician for Meineke. Unfortunately this was around the 2008 stock market crash and business was struggling. I came into work on Friday to discover That at 4pm that day, I would no longer be employed. So, distraught and confused, I decided to head to a friends house up in Denver from Castle Rock. I was in my 87' Scirocco at the time, I had a lot on my mind so I wasn't fully paying attention to my driving habits, and being 18, my habits weren't the best anyways. I ended up going into a construction zone above the speed limit and for a time, tailgating. I got pulled in the construction zone and got blapped for careless driving and speeding. Being a construction zone, everything doubled. That hurt, especially from insurance side, being 18, male, and what not. That was quite an expensive mess up there. I did learn from that though. IIRC it was around $500 and 6 points unless I paid within a certain amount of time, which it was reduced to 4 points.

I've received one speeding ticket since then, and I really have no desire to get any more.

Registered
In 2017 I was on my way home from the gym late at night. It was raining, and I had to make a U-turn to go home in my Miata. Lightweight, RWD sports car with a clutch type differential (locks up very quickly) in the rain? You can tell where this is going. The light turned green, and with me being hyped off the pre workout I had taken, I flicked the car around, planted the throttle and had a nice long slide coming out of the U-turn. I also wound out 1st gear and banged off the limiter a few times before driving a few more blocks and pulling into a grocery store parking lot for some late night snacks. I thought all was fine until I got out of the car and found I was blocked in by two police cars with their flood lights on and a very angry policeman telling me to get back into my car.

After yelling at me for "pulling the largest powerslide" the police officer had ever seen (supposedly) and then speeding off, he told me to get out of the car and to pop the hood and trunk as they wanted to search the car for illegal modifications, considering the car was lowered, had a loud exhaust, rollbar, racing seat, stickers, etc. Obviously I could have asked for a warrant or refused, but considering the ****ty situation I was already in, I complied. They even got a 3rd officer to pull up to help search the car, all while I was sitting on the curb after midnight in the rain. They said they were looking for an "aftermarket computer or nitrous", but just ended up writing me a fix it ticket for my aftermarket exhaust header. The officer also said he was doing me a favor by only writing me up for doing 45 in a 35 instead of "street racing" (even though I wasn't racing anyone), and that he could have impounded my car, but since I was cooperative and polite he let me off with a ticket. My 7 minute drive home turned out to be an hour and a half.

I ended up swapping my header back to stock and went back to the police station to get my fix it ticket signed off, and the officer there didn't even bother to leave his desk to come look at the car. He just signed it and left, meaning all that effort I spent swapping headers was pretty useless.

All in all it was a very expensive U-turn.

Registered
We spent a weekend at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in the fall a bunch of years ago when my kids were smaller. I said to my wife and kids, "Never drive fast in VA because the cops like to give speeding tickets". Well, at some point I was at a stoplight and I needed to demonstrate to a fellow motorist the awesome power of the V6 powered, 5 speed manual geared, 2005 Mazda 6 station wagon when loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids and a weekend's worth of luggage. I won first place and was rewarded with a speeding ticket.

my wife:

Registered
Spring 2006, my Junior year in college, the first sunny Saturday of spring in Pittsburgh.

It was crunch time for our Formula SAE project, we had been in the garage super late for weeks while juggling other homework and school projects, so we were all pretty burnt out and exhausted. My friend Billy shows up beaming with excitement and holding a big box. "Look what Professor W. found! An accelerometer!" He then proceeds to pull out a 1970s-era instrument capable of measuring 3 axes of acceleration! "Let's test it out!"

So four of us pile into my 1994 Jetta, still fitted with steelies and snow tires for the winter, and head toward nearby Schenley Park. Billy sits in the passenger seat, holding the tangled mess of modules, batteries, cables, and the barely-legible screen displaying our current acceleration vector. This particular park feels quite like a race track, because in fact it is during the annual Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix event. As we progress through the park, it's clear that speeding would be too dangerous given the amount of cyclists, pedestrians, and other innocent bystanders. But by the time we pass Turn 13 into the Schenley golf course, it clears up! Through turn 14, Billy sets up the equipment. Faced with a desolate curvy road, I begin to speed up. I carry ~30mph through turn 15, a little faster through turn 16, then really hit turn 17 hard. "0.7 g's! 0.75g's!" Billy yells. "0.8 g's!" just as the rear end starts to slide. Then just ahead, as I blaze through the corner with tires screaming and the OEM suspension leaned over onto the bumpstops, I spot a cop rounding turn 18 headed our direction. Knowing we were busted, I skidded to a halt along the side of the road as he flashed the lights and whipped a u-turn.

In the passenger seat, Billy is frantically unplugging all of the instrumentation to hide it under the seats. I'm trying to remember the proper protocol for being pulled over as my heart races. Our buddies Drew and Alex in the back seat are quiet, not sure of what lies ahead. The officer approaches my window in a rage of fury. "DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?!?!?!" "I'm not sure officer?" I said, despite thinking I could probably tell him with 3 decimal accuracy if we checked the accelerometer data. "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE SPEED LIMIT IS IN THE PARK??!?!?!" "I think it's 25mph?" "IT IS TEN!!! TEN MILES PER HOUR!!!" He proceeded to ask where we were going, and I replied that we were passing through the park from campus, taking a break from the lab to pick up some iced tea at the gas station. He looks around the car, surveying the four obvious nerds with saggy eyes and signs of exhaustion, covered in grime from working on our project. He returns to the car, surely to get 4 pairs of handcuffs and call for backup. He approaches my car again, all 4 of us silent in fear. He hands me my license and registration, then hands me a written warning! "GET THE F**K OUT OF HERE. AND SLOW THE F**K DOWN."

Stricken with fear, we proceeded in silence to the gas station. We passed the same cop on our way back, all 4 of us sipping our Turner's iced teas as we had promised him, at approximately 9.5mph. What a day!

Premium Member
1. ~2011-2012 (college) coming back from Tampa on Alligator Alley. I had been playing with a Jaguar for a little while going at quite a clip. Was going to make the trip home in a hair over 3 hrs, which is a significant amount of time less than it should take. I had slowed down but was still cruising at about 90 when I and another car going roughly the same speed were both stopped by FHP. The other car was some late model station wagon with 5-7 people in it. Cop dealt with them, sent them on their way and had apparently instructed them to yell at me (nicely) to slow down as they drove past. The cop then proceeded to ask me to get out of my vehicle and come to his car, I thought that was weird since we're stopped on the side of a 70MPH highway. I walk over and he asks, "why the grim look on your face," to which I replied, "well officer, this ticket isn't going to go over well with my father." The officer then proceeds to tell me, "ok, I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket since I think you know what that'll do, and sounds like your parents would make it worse. But I am giving you a ticket for your tint, I'm not even going to test it, I know it's too dark, right?" I respond, "yes." He continues, "ok, and I'm also giving you a fix it ticket for that stupid f***ing tinted license plate cover, take that isht off." I said thank you and happily left with my two fix-it tickets. Even offered him the extra Wendy's sandwich I had sitting in my passenger seat from my last pit stop. He declined.

2. ~2008-9 (high school) got stuck working a night shift for an event (valet attendant) on a holiday weekend that one of my friends was having a party. After about 2 hours it turned out the party was somewhat of a bust and we were over staffed so the manager asked if anyone wanted to leave, I immediately volunteered. Now being super excited I could meet up with my friends early on (only ~5PM), good music on, windows down, I cut through a well known to me neighborhood to avoid some downtown traffic. I wasn't doing anything crazy, but was likely going 30-35 in a 25, and did a california stop at one of the stop signs. Suddenly I see the blue and reds behind and pull over. Now, this is a rather wealthy neighborhood and they pay extra to have full time patrols, so this officer is basically always in this neighborhood, knows the local schools etc. He comes over to my car, asks me who I am where I'm coming from, what school I go to etc. I was also still wearing my valet uniform shirt with company name "Astro Parking" on it. I had a clean driving record at this point, so he comes back to my car, says, "so you park cars for a job huh?, you need a clean license for that right?" Although not entirely true because the company I worked for was very shady, I said "yes" to which he then said, "so I give you a ticket that's going to be a problem for you, you won't be able to work, and I suspect your parents will be none to pleased as well". "yes officer". Ok, I'm going to let you off with a warning, don't ever cut through the neighborhood again.

My experiences with officers, be reasonable and usually they will be too. Only about 25% are truly just *******s.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
ACAB. I have been nothing but polite to police officers and they've usually been complete *******s. I could go into more detail on their corruption and indecency but i'm not going to type it all out. Makes me sick some of them harass the **** out gearheads in the middle of the night harming nobody, when they could be enforcing turn signal usage/left lane hogs/things that actually cause problems on our roadways.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
My buddy and I were taking the bikes out to go find some secluded road a fellow rider told us about. We left the back roads to grab a highway real quick.

As I enter the highway I put myself too close to an oncoming car and cracked it and jumped over a couple of lanes. I saw the cop spin around from his ticket perch and flip the lights on. I pull over knowing I messed up, turn the bike off, throw it on the stand and pull my helmet off and wait.

A cop with the largest ass I ever saw, comes up like I was running guns. Standard greeting asking for paperwork and I hand him a PBA card with it. He pretty much tells me he won't honor it. Then he sees another in my wallet. Then the other. He takes all 9 of them including the two family cards.

He comes back and hands me a ticket for 89 in a 50 and while reading me the riot act he aggressively points to a passing car with limo tint and gestures him to pull over, car kept going.

I hire a lawyer since I am in danger of losing my license. Lawyer earned his keep. He kept having conversations in the hallway with the cop and going back to the prosecutor. Apparently, the cop didn't want to budge on the ticket since he gave me a deal on the street. This was accurate since he could have written more tickets and taken my license and bike right there. The prosecutor told him too bad. Write the tickets and she will give the deals. After lawyer fees, courts fees, fines and a defensive driving class to cut the points off it was about a $900 mistake.

Registered
Hah. We're all idiots, in some measure. But some cops are just asshats, too. Back a few years ago, I had bought a new Audi A3. Had APR stage one put on it, no other mods. But boy, that car would fly.

So, one beautiful Florida night, around 2am, I found myself southbound on the Florida turnpike, nearing the end at Florida City. NO ONE was on the road; just me. I goosed it, and the car just seemed to flow like water. I was doing 110 as I came over the last hill, and there was a FHP trooper. Ah, well. Pulled over, took him a while to catch up to me. All hot and bothered and blustery, who did I think I was, I could have killed someone with my speed. Made the mistake of pointing out to him there were no cars on the road except him and me.

His eyes got huge, and he literally started screaming (and spitting) at me to go sit in my car and shut up. $525 ticket. A$$hole.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
Hah. We're all idiots, in some measure.
This is unequivocally true.

I was with my brother in law once and we were doing 110 down a Maryland highway in the left lane in my sisters Civic. Steering wheel shaking violently. As we crest a hill a state trooper jumps into our lane and flags us over. Cop let him go because he was military. It was crazy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hah. We're all idiots, in some measure. But some cops are just asshats, too. Back a few years ago, I had bought a new Audi A3. Had APR stage one put on it, no other mods. But boy, that car would fly.

So, one beautiful Florida night, around 2am, I found myself southbound on the Florida turnpike, nearing the end at Florida City. NO ONE was on the road; just me. I goosed it, and the car just seemed to flow like water. I was doing 110 as I came over the last hill, and there was a FHP trooper. Ah, well. Pulled over, took him a while to catch up to me. All hot and bothered and blustery, who did I think I was, I could have killed someone with my speed. Made the mistake of pointing out to him there were no cars on the road except him and me.

His eyes got huge, and he literally started screaming (and spitting) at me to go sit in my car and shut up. $525 ticket. A$$hole.
Got one a few months ago. 74 in a 55. Middle of nowhere. 2 lane country road. I'm in my S6 Avant and was told I was 'endangering everyone'. My car is capable of 140-150 or more, I'm pretty sure driving something with nice tires, upgraded suspension, and upgraded brakes is NOT ENDANGERING ANYONE at 75mph.

When he said that, I immediately countered that that is BS and this is nothing more than revenue collection, and not making anyone safer at all. I then told him about the Montana speed limit paradox; when the speed limits were removed in Montana, the deathrate per 10k miles traveled on the highway system dropped to an ALL TIME LOW, because people were driving fast but paying attention. Gotta say, 55mph in a performance car is just absolutely mind numbingly boring.

Did it help with my ticket? Nope. But I was already getting one. I remained courteous and respectful, but respectfully called out his reasoning as bull****, and respectfully told him about higher speeds are not inherently more dangerous than slower speeds. Facts > Feelings. Ugh. Hate them so much.

Let me ask you guys something:

How many times have you been hit or almost been hit by someone speeding?
How many times have you been hit or almost been hit by someone not paying attention or failing to use a signal?

For me, it's like 0 to 8,281,934

IMHO enforcing speeding is just absolutely lazy policework; sit and play angry birds until the car beeps so you can go extort money from someone to pay for their John McClain Wannabe Tacticool Gear and gas guzzling SUVs.

Registered
Got one a few months ago. 74 in a 55. Middle of nowhere. 2 lane country road. I'm in my S6 Avant and was told I was 'endangering everyone'. My car is capable of 140-150 or more, I'm pretty sure driving something with nice tires, upgraded suspension, and upgraded brakes is NOT ENDANGERING ANYONE at 75mph.

When he said that, I immediately countered that that is BS and this is nothing more than revenue collection, and not making anyone safer at all. I then told him about the Montana speed limit paradox; when the speed limits were removed in Montana, the deathrate per 10k miles traveled on the highway system dropped to an ALL TIME LOW, because people were driving fast but paying attention. Gotta say, 55mph in a performance car is just absolutely mind numbingly boring.

Did it help with my ticket? Nope. But I was already getting one. I remained courteous and respectful, but respectfully called out his reasoning as bull****, and respectfully told him about higher speeds are not inherently more dangerous than slower speeds. Facts > Feelings. Ugh. Hate them so much.

How many times have you been hit or almost been hit by someone not paying attention or failing to use a signal?

IMHO enforcing speeding is just absolutely lazy policework; sit and play angry birds until the car beeps so you can go extort money from someone to pay for their John McClain Wannabe Tacticool Gear and gas guzzling SUVs.

Registered
2016 Golf R DSG

I have always felt this way. I went to grab food the other night and my light turns green. I was a little late to go and someone blew the red on the cross section. Moving too. If I had left when the light was green, I would have been creamed. Fact is, the speed wasn鈥檛 the issue, the failure to obey signals would have been.

Registered
When I lived in Japan I used to head 3 hours south every weekend on the tollway. I'd hightail it back late Sunday nights. I knew where the cameras were and always slowed down near them. Japan has a tendency to install cameras but periodically alter which ones are actually active and which ones are not.

They decided to turn one on that I was certain was off based on many prior trips flying through it. Heading home late one Sunday night it went off and I got an $800 ticket for doing 63 mph (yes, 63 mph) on the tollway/freeway, where the speed limit sadly was 50 kph (Japan's speed limits are always way too slow - this is an elevated, enclosed tollway that cost $10 to use each way for about an hour). Got a police summons, had to go to prefectural police headquarters in Kobe. Get there with my gf and they've got a picture collage - one very close up of my plate, one of the entire front end of the car, and another zoomed way in on my face as I was mouthbreathing my way home late at night, lol.

In addition to the $800 fine, it was a 6 point offense which is how many points it takes to lose your license. However, I hadn't yet gotten my Japanese license and was on an International Drivers Permit, and they didn't know what to do with a smelly foreigner on an IDP. Ultimately they just had me pay the fine and let me go at that, I would've lost my license had I had it at that time.

I asked if I could have a copy of the photo for lols, they said no.

Registered

Well.....sigh. This is complicated; because, well, Floriduhhhh. Let me say, ADDvanced, I agree with you in principle. Speeders that are good drivers are not going to usually hit things, in my opinion. Trouble is, down here in south Florida, no one pays attention; no one knows how to drive, everyone has a Mercedes or BMW that will only do 90mph and they are doing it while they talk and text. Or, put on makeup. Makes for crazy, spectacular crashes.

Registered
Many years ago - I was pulled over for street racing, was doing 74 in a 35, and had illegal tint (5% all around, 20% on the windshield). My license was already suspended at the time, and I had been drinking that evening. The officer told me that he should take me to jail and impound the vehicle. I asked if I could have a friend pick up the vehicle and I'll leave the keys in it. He walks back to his car, comes back maybe ten minutes later. Tells me it's my lucky night - park the car in the driveway and do not get back into it until I've reinstated my license.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts