VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,606 Posts
he only times I've been to traffic court were one as a defendant (had a speeding ticket on a bicycle dismissed)

PLEASE tell us how this happened?!

I’ve been pulled over 7-10 times in my life. Some of those I was speeding... one of them, I was absolutely flying (relative to speed limit, not flow of traffic). There was another time* too, but in general, it goes like this (caveat, I’m white, generally halfway presentable, and my cars have never been TOTAL ****boxes nor total hot rods):

Yes sir, no sir, can I reach in my glovebox sir, I don’t know sir, thank you sir. Normally they come back with a ticket for 14 over (or 19, or 4.. 1mph below the next bracket of fines & points). Sometimes, if I was told I was doing 5-10 over, it’s a warning and a stern ‘be safe and slow down’.

I’ve been to traffic court once. It’s the same thing. Shave, dress decently, show up early. Smile (but not too much), yes your honor, no your honor, yes I will pay the fine your honor, thank you for no points your honor. Yes I will be safer.

ADD, I get your schtick. And I am not a fan or an apologist of cops... all of them are truly bastards. But you’re insufferable, and are making your life harder than it needs to be with no measurable benefit towards your societal ideals on the merit of policing.

*one time I ran. hit the limiter in a bright ****ing red MKV GLI (those speedos were typically about 10% inaccurate at that rate of speed, but still). I am not proud of it, but here I am telling the story. I guess just to say... I know I’m ****ing lucky. That’s it.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,802 Posts
PLEASE tell us how this happened?!
I'm obviously not Nealric, but I too have been pulled over on a bicycle.

I was going my typical 20mph cruise on a state road, Cop passed me slowly which got my attention, and then a few hundred yards ahead pulled onto the shoulder, turned his lights on, stepped out of the car and held up his hand to say stop. He was polite and asked me a bunch of innocent questions, but I managed to piece together that I was a robbery suspect. 😬 Actually a pretty smart line of questioning too--with no mention of the robbery he tried to place me at the scene, suggesting I had just stopped to take a leak or something, no big deal.

After about 5 maybe 10 minutes of me swearing I'd been nowhere near the road in question someone came over the radio and asked if my backpack could be checked for something in particular. Fortunately I did not have a backpack on so they let me go. :oops:

·
Premium Member
43,693 Posts
I'm obviously not Nealric, but I too have been pulled over on a bicycle.

I was going my typical 20mph cruise on a state road, Cop passed me slowly which got my attention, and then a few hundred yards ahead pulled onto the shoulder, turned his lights on, stepped out of the car and held up his hand to say stop. He was polite and asked me a bunch of innocent questions, but I managed to piece together that I was a robbery suspect. 😬 Actually a pretty smart line of questioning too--with no mention of the robbery he tried to place me at the scene, suggesting I had just stopped to take a leak or something, no big deal.

After about 5 maybe 10 minutes of me swearing I'd been nowhere near the road in question someone came over the radio and asked if my backpack could be checked for something in particular. Fortunately I did not have a backpack on so they let me go. :oops:
i take it youre not white? because that's bs

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,802 Posts
i take it youre not white? because that's bs
FWIW I'm mostly Nordic, dirty blond hair etc. I matched their initial description that didn't mention the backpack (white shirt, black shorts and on a racing bike) and happened to be near the crime scene. I'm not discounting parallel situations where people are wrongly apprehended, but the guy was professional and I felt it was a very bizarre wrong-place/wrong-time situation more than anything.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
On porpoise.

My biggest takeaway with lawyers in a case like mine was this:

Get the best lawyer you can afford, but is logistically very near the courthouse. This usually means that the lawyer knows every single person in the building, and he knows each judge/solicitor very well. I cannot stress this enough.
This speaks to my question. It seems that it is more about the relationships versus courtroom maneuvering and expertise. Again, not that I am in traffic court often. It just seems like the certain people walk up with a lawyer, lawyer has a quick conversation with the judge and person gets the sentence. It not like a tv show, where the lawyer is up there arguing the case and found some ahh haa moment that calls into question the ticket. There is no the glove doesnt fit, you need to acquit moments. More like a "wink wink", this is my guy judge, you know what we talked about.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've gotten tickets in every car I've owned, Something inside of me just makes me do it. Most likely it's a maturity level thing.
Anyway my latest was 89 in a 55 in my Golf R (in Atlanta where everyone speeds). Maybe I shouldn't drive a Golf R.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,606 Posts
Ther is no the glove doesnt fit, you need to acquit moments. More like a "wink wink", this is my guy judge, you know what we talked about.
Traffic/magisterial court processes are much different from landlord/tenant court processes are much different from criminal from common pleas from family from appellate from state supreme from federal district from Supreme Court processes.

The court you are in is roughly commensurate to the type of law and the severity of the case the law is tried under. While the enforcement side of traffic law... traffic stops... sadly have a record of escalating and even turning violent or fatal, the judicial side of traffic law is fairly inconsequential and routine.

Depending on the severity of the speed or accident, your conduct with the officer and the judge make a bigger difference than any kind of lawyer-y maneuvering, because frankly there is almost none unless the otherwise routine traffic stop turned sour. If you can avoid jail or license suspension, get your fine reduced, and/or (more important than the fine) have the points reduced or eliminated... consider that a win.

I’m sure some podunk municipalities may have a bit of a ‘taxation via speed trap’ revenue scheme going between the magistrate and the local police force but trust me, it’s not some entangled nefarious enterprise.

·
Registered
26,308 Posts
Yes, I was arrested. Let go on OR, and then was issued a bench-warrant for my arrest once my lawyer forgot to file for a continuance. This all happened just after Fast and Furious was released, so the local police were trying to set the tone. I just happened to be "the tone".
Hah--I had a similar thing happen around the same time. Got a 1st degree Negligent Driving ticket from a cop who (apparently) missed the car that running a stop sign to my right that I was attempting to avoid. (My passenger hit my shoulder with his flinching away from what he thought was an imminent impact.)

"You kids saw that F&F movie and then want to go out and spin your wheels, don't you?" Uh, no, did you see the car that nearly hit us?

"How's your driving record so far?" Totally clean, sir.

"Yeah, we'll see about that."

I lawyered up after learning that 1st Deg Neg Driving is often what DUI is plead down to, leading to ins co's dropping you. Lawyer got it dropped, as the cop wasn't a Traffic officer and admitted he didn't see what happened, just heard tire noise and saw my car swerving back into my lane.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Help me with lawyers. I have only been in one traffic situation where I should have probably used a laywer(too dumb, young, and broke to get one). The other times I have seen lawyers in action in traffic court, it always strikes me as if the deals were already struck before the case. I guess those that have experience using one, can chime in on how much did it benefit them? I understand there is certainly skill and knowledge with the profession, but it always strikes me as court has a partnership if you use a lawyer?
As a former prosecutor the way it basically works is you offer a better deal to the attorney representing the speeder that is a discount over the face value of the ticket. I was in IL which did not have points but the charges could be misdemeanors if serious enough. If they had a lawyer, and their record wasn't terrible, they would get supervision and pay a fine, it becomes the cost of speeding. There are some charges which cannot be handled that way (like speeding in a school zone) but the attorney means you get a better deal, be it pay a higher fine to keep it off the record, or community service/driver education...something. Each state is different, but ultimately the goal is to keep points off your license/convictions off your record. You spend extra money to make that happen through your attorney fees. The attorneys will make that happen unless you have an awful record and there are some state mandatories that apply. The other thing is the attorneys cases are called first, so you can be done and on your way rather than potential spend half a day in a massive traffic call. I often had days with 200 people lined up for processing.

When i had to work traffic, the attorneys would be lined up to talk about their case, and make a deal. I would just check the ticket (make sure it's not something like 40+ or school zone, or passing school bus) and then check the background, and then come to an agreement on a fine and be done with it. If the cop wrote multiple tickets (usually the case) dismiss all but one and pay a hefty fine on it (often the non-speeder). Simple deals.

If you are ever in that situation again, just look for any attorney up by the tables talking to the State, and just ask them to represent you. Often they will be looking for a client (is Bob Burger here?) and you can just ask them to handle your case.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts