VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I mount some 205/50/16s? Anybody got any pics of such a setup?
How about anybody got a set for sale, anything that would be compatible! Summer treads perferably, but I'll go with all-seasons if somebody has a good deal.
I'm willing to travel NY/PA/NJ.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
im gonna say that would rub, but it depends on the offset. my offset is 35 and i have 16x7.5 wheels with 205 45 16s and i rub over big bumps and at full lock and im not even lowered at all

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: (vdubmatt)

I have 16x7.5 ET25 wheels w/ 205/45/16, lowered 1.3" f/r on Neuspeed Sports. The fronts rub at full lock & the rear rubs on fender flares over bumps. I'm planning to go 205/40/16 next time.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Re: (robgarrity)

I have 16x7's with 205/40/16's lowered 3" no rubbing
I did roll the inner fender lips though to stop the rubbing issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (vwdr1ver)

Thanks, Maybe I'll be going with the 45s, I'd like to go to 50 just for the "roughness" factor, but I'm pretty sure I'd get some rub.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Re: (Big Fundamental)

Quote, originally posted by Big Fundamental »
215/40 is OEM diameter with a wide footprint.

Well I have 205/40/16's and that matches the same overall diameter as the manufacturer specs (within a margin of error). The benefit to this is that your acceleration is less affected and your speedo calibration is dead on by having the same rotating circumference

Also, my 16x7.5's with those tires VERY RARELY rub. Only quick opposite lock turns (say whipping around in a circle in a parking lot) may have a slight rub but I think that's actually on my mudflaps. On VERY big dips they rub once in a blue moon but only while turning into a curve and hitting a major dip.
I'm lowered 40mm (1.56 inches) although I think it's actually slightly more than stated. The ride can be a bit harsh on very rough roads but not all that bad really (considering I came from a Mk1 GTI with H&R Race...
). But oh boy, on decent to very nice roads it's heaven!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts