VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to turbo the obd1 2.0 and want to leave some room to add lots more power later on. Gonna start out with low boost (5-12 psi) then later on add a headspacer, headstuds, pistons/rods and valve spring conversion among other things... What turbo is most appropriate for a "big turbo" on a 2.0?

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
I have the PT 5557 on my aba. With haltech,E85 and 25lbs of boost Im at 370whp and 300wtq. If your looking to push this motor then this is a very good turbo to do this with.
seen an overlay of the 5557 and 5857 and the spool was identical with the 5857 making a good deal more power up top. No point in getting the 5557

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
seen an overlay of the 5557 and 5857 and the spool was identical with the 5857 making a good deal more power up top. No point in getting the 5557
I have seen otherwise. There are alot of things people do to make the results seem one way when they are really not. There was a company here selling an intercooler here not long ago that was 105% efficient. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
It was done as a very reputable evo shop.

Precision 5557 vs 5857 @ 27psi

Believe what you will. The compressor wheel size diff is min and you can see the tiny lag difference between the 2. Not trying to start issues, just spread what i have seen.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It was done as a very reputable evo shop.

Precision 5557 vs 5857 @ 27psi

Believe what you will. The compressor wheel size diff is min and you can see the tiny lag difference between the 2. Not trying to start issues, just spread what i have seen.
The tune they were tested on,the amount of heat soak,the time of day. This all makes a huge difference. Same tank of gasoline? There are so many things that factor into a comparison and people spout this crap out like gospel. This is a comp on one car.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
More specs on your motor Por favor.
Its an ABA with stock internals and head studs,late model head gasket,arp rod bolts,TT valve springs and 272 cam. It has a PT 39mm WG and PT 5557 turbo. It has a garrett 18/12/3.5 intercooler core with custom end tanks. It has tapered SRI. It has 82lb injectors and LS1 coil packs all run from the Haltech platinum sprint 1000 and tuned on E85 by the loving hands of LJ at Full Blown Motorsports (952 431 1399 :p).

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
same car, same day. As far as i know, the only adjustments to the tune was for fueling in the upper rpms. Just look at the spool diff in turbos of the same family, its min at best. The only difference is the 3mm larger inducer (55/75 vs 58/75). The exd is the same size along with the turbine wheel. Dont see whats so far fetched here. The difference in spool in a gt series is a couple hundred at best and they are using larger ind and exd. The lag diff is like

·
Vendor
2,672 Posts
Its an ABA with stock internals and head studs,late model head gasket,arp rod bolts,TT valve springs and 272 cam. It has a PT 39mm WG and PT 5557 turbo. It has a garrett 18/12/3.5 intercooler core with custom end tanks. It has tapered SRI. It has 82lb injectors and LS1 coil packs all run from the Haltech platinum sprint 1000 and tuned on E85 by the loving hands of LJ at Full Blown Motorsports (952 431 1399 :p).

your sidewinder makes me hate you...alot. What compression? No port work?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
same car, same day. As far as i know, the only adjustments to the tune was for fueling in the upper rpms. Just look at the spool diff in turbos of the same family, its min at best. The only difference is the 3mm larger inducer (55/75 vs 58/75). The exd is the same size along with the turbine wheel. Dont see whats so far fetched here. The difference in spool in a gt series is a couple hundred at best and they are using larger ind and exd. The lag diff is like

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
First of all timing is key to spool. A car that is running a timing map for a larger turbo will not spool as well. If we put the 5857 on my car it would show just the opposite. Also doing the same test on a VW which does not breathe nearly as much s going to show totally different results. Also dont forget the turbine housing.

People need to stop drawing foolish conclusions based on internet tests.
lol, really? :screwy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.