VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone... quick question and I couldn't find anything with a search.
We're planning on taking a little weekend camping trip and I was wondering if there are any bike carriers that fit on the cabriolet's trunk. I'm kinda doubtful, but has anyone done it? Any pics? I'd really like to take the cabriolet for the trip.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (maketoast)

I checked the thule site, & they don't seem to offer a trunk mount for the cabriolet.....but they do offer the hitch style carriers if you wanted to get a trailer hitch receiver for the car too.... maybe a local bike shop can have other options for you... good luck, Pat

·
Registered
5,986 Posts

Here's my bike carrier. It's the usual strap-on type for trunks. Here I am using it for non bike purposes but it carried my road bike and my son's DH/Freeride at the same time with no issues. The top support rests on the bottom of the top, the weight mostly on the car frame as to not stress the top.

·
Registered
18,222 Posts

I've used two kinds on my Cab: The first one was the typical folding rack that rested on the bumper/trunk lid and the top/trunk (similar to Moljinar's), while straps mounted to the trunk lid and bumper. It worked very well; never had a single problem with it.
Then I found one specifically made for sports cars and convertibles, the Vector III:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

The closest one I've found to the long-discontinued Vector, is the Guardian 3:
http://www.saris.com/c-15-.aspx .
For those of us who refuse to install a hitch, the bumper-mount racks do indeed work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (kamzcab86)

Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »

For those of us who refuse to install a hitch, the bumper-mount racks do indeed work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I refuse to use a hitch mount or a silly trunk mount.....

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (goosler)

Quote, originally posted by goosler »

I refuse to use a hitch mount or a silly trunk mount....

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (goosler)

Quote, originally posted by goosler »

I refuse to use a hitch mount or a silly trunk mount.....

hahaha
I will find one

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (egranlund)

they are out there......just gotta find them......I looked for about 7 months, found 3 leads in the US & canada.......it took almost 2 months to complete a deal with a GREAT canadian bloke....but in the end, I am very happy & lugging stuff to the beach or the lake will be a breeze....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Bike Carrier? (Moljinar)

Wow, thanks for the great response. I really didn't want to install a hitch on the cabby just for bikes... I think I can make due with a trunk mount since it will work.
So am I to understand that since the rack rests some on the rear of the top, I wont be able to drive top-down while the rack is on? I guess thats still not too bad.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote, originally posted by maketoast »
Wow, thanks for the great response. I really didn't want to install a hitch on the cabby just for bikes... I think I can make due with a trunk mount since it will work.
So am I to understand that since the rack rests some on the rear of the top, I wont be able to drive top-down while the rack is on? I guess thats still not too bad.

If you're talking about the strap mount...it looks like you can ride with the top down, well, at least according to kammys picture...unless I'm imagining her top is down

·
Registered
18,222 Posts

Quote, originally posted by maketoast »

Depending on the rack style, you can indeed drive with the top down. On our cars, it's the straps that do all of the work (before loading bikes, shake the rack to make sure it's on good and tight).
If you don't want to invest a lot of money, the Thule 968 is probably the best bet: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/P...01506 .

Quote, originally posted by egranlund »
unless I'm imagining her top is down

Modified by kamzcab86 at 8:41 PM 8-18-2009

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Bike Carrier? (kamzcab86)

Just ordered my Guardian 3 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Now I have no excuse for not riding my bike

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Bike Carrier? (Moljinar)

thats pretty much how mine looks with the rack on it...
Isnt it illegal to cover up the license plate though?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.