VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent a PM to NY_Avant, but haven't heard anything back yet... but I know there's a couple of other bike gurus on the forum, like 2.0 Projekt for example...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new carbon bike, (despite falling off mine today... never fallen off a bike -EVER- and some dumbass in a Murano causes me to fall of... long story, different thread perhaps), and I'm concerned about the OEM carrier bars and the Barracuda bike carriers which I have.

-Are the jaws a little rough on Carbon frames? -Is a 'square-ish' down tub section an issue, in terms of the corners getting undue pressure...?

Or...

Is there a "wheel-off" bike carrier which can fit on the OEM base carrier bars?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ooooohhhh...

Tiptronic, -is this yours? -Gimme the details if you could!

-Keith

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
VWAddict

Im just using standard aluminum fork mount bike tray. similar to that of Thule's 516 ProLogue bike tray. My base bars are Audi OEM made by Thule. They are secured by two allen-type screws- (which, your base bars should have the nuts sliding around in there if u look inside the railings.

I believe the fork mounts are for standard 9mm axle.
Perhaps you should look into the 518 Echelon

e

·
Registered
350 Posts
have always used a fork down bike carrier for both my mountain and road bikes

now that i primarily use carbon rims, i always worried that i might put too much pressure with the rear wheel strap, so i simply fold down the seats and throw the bike in the hatch now.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooohhhh...-Pretty!

Does your bike tray slot into the OEM T-slots? -If so, you want to sell it if you're not using it?

Or am I worrying about it TOO much with the Barracuda and the down-tube death grip on the carbon?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oooohhhh...-Pretty!

Does your bike tray slot into the OEM T-slots? -If so, you want to sell it if you're not using it?

Or am I worrying about it TOO much with the Barracuda and the down-tube death grip on the carbon?

I sold my entire roof rack set but you pick up an Xadapt kit from Thule to allow mounting with aero bars:

Xadapt 1 is for the Thule Velo Vise and V2 fork mounted bike racks.

Xadapt 2 is for the Thule Big Mouth upright bike rack.

Xadapt 3 is for the Thule Hull a Port 835xt kayak carrier.

Xadapt 7 is for the Thule Universal Pull Top 6, Universal Flat Top 6, Universal Flat Top 4, and the Snowboard Carrier.

Xadapt 8 is for the Thule Criterium upright bike rack.

Xadapt 9 is for the Thule Sidearm, Echelon, Prologue and Peloton bike racks.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
R-RRRRRRRRR-Rocking!

Thanks for the good info!

Keith

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I sent a PM to NY_Avant, but haven't heard anything back yet... but I know there's a couple of other bike gurus on the forum, like 2.0 Projekt for example...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new carbon bike, (despite falling off mine today... never fallen off a bike -EVER- and some dumbass in a Murano causes me to fall of... long story, different thread perhaps), and I'm concerned about the OEM carrier bars and the Barracuda bike carriers which I have.

-Are the jaws a little rough on Carbon frames? -Is a 'square-ish' down tub section an issue, in terms of the corners getting undue pressure...?

Or...

Is there a "wheel-off" bike carrier which can fit on the OEM base carrier bars?

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Haven't been on much lately but :wave: and Thanks ;)

I have the Thule aero setup (although I never use it, the bike always ends up in the back). Thule actually makes many of the car manufactures oem racks. I don't think you would have an issue with a downtube mount rack although with a carbon bike I wouldn't got that route. Actually don't think I have ever had or seen a customer with a carbon bike (other then possibly mountain) mounted in a downtube mount rack.

And you know i need to throw some whorage in here too :laugh:

2010 Cannondale SuperSix Ultimate frame with Full Campy Record 10 speed, Zero G Ti brakes and SRM powermeter. ----> my 2011 SuperSix frame should be toward the end of next month

2009 Cannondale Slice HiMod Full Campy Record and Hed Jet 6's

I have a few others but no good pictures of them right now.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:eek:

I envy you with a passion that you can only DREAM of!

I can't fold the seats down easily, since I'm usually ferrying round a 7 year-old son...

Maybe I'll get a Thule fork-mount or a Rockymounts one. -Hafta see.

I'm looking at a Cannondale Synapse Carbon. -Any pitfalls to think about?

Cheers!

Keith

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
:eek:

I envy you with a passion that you can only DREAM of!

I can't fold the seats down easily, since I'm usually ferrying round a 7 year-old son...

Maybe I'll get a Thule fork-mount or a Rockymounts one. -Hafta see.

I'm looking at a Cannondale Synapse Carbon. -Any pitfalls to think about?

Cheers!

Keith

I really haven't seen any issues with the Carbon Synapse. Only issue I've ever seen was a paint blem. The Synapse is a great bike. Only thing I'm not a fan of about them is the handling. I like my handling to be a little more snappy and the Synapse feels a little sluggish. That was the first thing I noticed about them when they first released them. If I hadn't been spent all my time on tradition race geometry I probably would have never noticed it.

Second wheel ;) That's my race bike. Last US Produced Cannondale CAAD8 --> Full Record, Hollowgram cranks

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm thinking of going for a bike with a slightly relaxed/less aggressive approach, although I am taking a look at a used Madone 5.9 XL this evening, just because the price is VERY promising...

I'm not the 'athletic' type, so I'll never be smashing any time numbers, or winning any races... I'm over 6' tall, but I've lost nearly 65lbs in the last 6 months. -When I started back on the bike, it was pointless paying so much for a couple of pounds lighter, but now that all of that flab is gone, I'm at the point when I'm 'ready'. -I'm generally just doing the trails in the area, and I'm aiming for about 50 miles each time out... -the last couple of weekends for example have been 50 milers.

Before, with all that gut flab, a fitting would have been useless, because NOTHING is completely 'comfortable' in any position: flabby gut hitting thighs as soon as you bend forward; there's no way to tell what size top tube is right even. -I'm so glad that it's worked out, and now that I can be fairly sure that I'll actually USE the bike (not just from a 'quitting' point of view, but also other factors like the wife giving me enough leeway to head out for a few hours in the morning, and accepting that I need her to 'plan' around me not being able to run errands, watch our kid, etc.) then I feel much better about it.

So comfortable distance is fine by me... the lack of 'snap' shouldn't be too scary, and I'm hoping that on longer rides it'll be more 'accommodating' than my current old-school cro-moly ride... even though it's MORE than paid for itself in terms of the weight loss and fitness 'result'. -It doesn't owe me a penny!

Keith

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It's sad that this thread is a million times better than the new LOL Bump thread
I can keep the bike pics coming if it turns you on that much ;)

P.s. first time posting on here from my iPhone 4

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.