VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a bike rack for my Beetle. I'm looking for something that would mount on the back, as opposed to the roof of my car, as I'm probably too small to get my bike onto a roof rack. Does anyone have an economical suggestion?

· Registered
296 Posts
Re: Bike Rack For Small Woman (snowflakeschance)

Quote, originally posted by snowflakeschance »
I need a bike rack for my Beetle. I'm looking for something that would mount on the back, as opposed to the roof of my car, as I'm probably too small to get my bike onto a roof rack. Does anyone have an economical suggestion?

I'm not small or a woman, but I am planning on buying a Beetle by the end of the month and am an avid mountain biker. Any other bikers out there that could share there method of transportation for their bikes?

· Registered
98 Posts
What you are looking for is a bike rack that mounts into a reciever hitch. The hitch will be about 110 dollars plus installation, and a ball mount. Then you get a hitch mount bicycle rack. These can be found for as little as 75 dollars, you do not need a tilt down, or swing out mount. I bought this set-up for my '89 Jetta 16 years ago, and I've transferred it to my '99 NB, and now to my '05 NBC. The advantage for this set-up 4 fold. One most folks using overhead bike racks on a regular basis will sooner than later scrape the bike off the roof with thier garage door, and reason number 2 is no more lifting the bike over the roof of the car BS. If you bike daily the bike only has to leave your car, once when you get to your riding destination, otherwise the bike stays on the rack when you pull into your garage. THE SUPER ADVANTAGE IS the protruding bicycle rack does A EXCELLENT JOB OF KEEPING SUV'S OFF YOUR ASS, it scares them, also in a minor rear ender the rack will destroy the condensor and radiator of most SUV's.
http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/store/64100.htm
http://www.etrailer.com/produc...=&h=e

· Registered
33 Posts
New Beetle Bike Rack

Has anyone seen a trunk mount bike rack that will carry bikes 'inline', i.e. with bikes mounted using a quick release on the fork in front and a wheel tray clamp on rear? I think Thule made one several years ago and they had the advantages of being more aerodynamic and also less likely for someone to back into bikes hung off a hitch mount. I am looking at a New Beetle Convertible but want to explore options for bike mounting. My T-Reg hauls bikes... but want a smaller economical drive. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.