VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bike rack setup completed. Its a custom hitch with a 1up usa bike rack. This setup works great for carrying bikes. The hitch itself doesnt seem hard to make. Basically they bolt two flat pieces of steel between the bumper and frame. Then weld a piece of box steel with a hitch reciever to it. Pretty simple really but works great.

Should be similar to this golf r:
https://youtu.be/723hKzW6w7c

·
Registered
100 Posts
So apparently no one makes a hitch for the TT's . Would the shop that did yours make another? If so what was the price and contact info? I do have a welder and could weld one up were there drawings created or maybe even a picture taken. I used to carry my road bike in my MK1 TT but did not want to ruin the aesthetics of the TT.

-Craig

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got my bike rack setup completed. Its a custom hitch with a 1up usa bike rack. This setup works great for carrying bikes. The hitch itself doesnt seem hard to make. Basically they bolt two flat pieces of steel between the bumper and frame. Then weld a piece of box steel with a hitch reciever to it. Pretty simple really but works great.
This is awesome. Got a 19 TT RS on order, and I will be removing my Torklift hitch from my 16 Golf R when the TT arrives. Was your hitch built from scratch? Or based on a Torklift hitch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is awesome. Got a 19 TT RS on order, and I will be removing my Torklift hitch from my 16 Golf R when the TT arrives. Was your hitch built from scratch? Or based on a Torklift hitch?
Any update on when you'll be getting the new TT and transferring the hitch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, but have been traveling since then. (That's serious torture right there!) I haven't had any time to investigate, but hopefully I will next week.
Good Luck

If you can take some pix of the body frame when the bumper cover is off that would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any update on the installation yet?
After a quick eyeball, and a guesstimate of where the rack would attach to the body of the car, I believe I’ve determined that, even if the Ecohitch could bolt up, the receiver tube would exit the bumper cover right about smack dab in the middle. No way I’m cutting through the painted surface of the bumper cover.
So if anyone wants to buy my Ecohitch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts