VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PAGE 1 Introduction

PAGE 2 IDF drop plates, rear wheel bearings, rotors and pads installed and DIY Eurojet Street FMIC install

PAGE 3 6 speed CV joint replace

PAGE 5 rear camber/toe shim DIY

PAGE 6 Emissions delete (SAI,N249,PCV, EVAP)

PAGE 10 Glass Lens DIY

PAGE 15 V-MAXX big brake install

Page 16 front sway bar delete

Ultimate Timing Belt/water pump DIY (not mine but thought it would be nice to link it)

I'm sick of the pointless threads that keep getting created asking what to do? what looks good? and people showing off riced out mkiv's :facepalm:

Most of you already know my story of losing my loved PG GLI and getting another one shortly after so I can continue to feed my addiction. Long story short I want to use this thread to help new members see what they can do to their car. Some mods are cheap and others expensive but seeing as this car is new to the family it needs the typical 1.8t overhaul to ensure its safe passage through the show season. My apologies to those with the VR, TDI, and 2.0 guys that the engine portions of this won't apply. I know it's tempting to just jump in and start doing the "fun stuff" but it's important to remember that if you do the fun stuff without minding the service you will end up on the side of the road in the mountains of Helen, GA on the day after SOWO looking like this--->:mad: A great man i know once said Maintenance is Paramount :rolleyes:

So below is a list of some of the incoming parts for the car. A LOT of it is service. Things I have had problems with on the old car that I wish to avoid having with this car. If you are new to these cars a lot of these parts might not make sense by reading them but I will be going through and making DIY's for all of these with pics of all the processes. I know that a lot of people have already done some of these but I've noticed that a lot of them are out dated and the pictures are gone.

NOTE: I'm not responsible for anything you do to YOUR car. i'm simply sharing what i have done to mine.

Metal Dipstick replacement funnel and dipstick, Mk4 Golf/Jetta, Audi TT 1.8T
Ball Joint, Mk4 R32/TT
Control arms MK4 R32/TT
Spindles MK4 R32/TT
Control Arm bolts
- N10262202 x qty 2 - N90484004 x qty 2

Intake Manifold Gasket, 1.8T
Wheel Bearing Kit, Front Mk4
Crankcase Breather Hose system and catch can included in this kit
Wheel Bearing with Hub Assembly, Rear Mk4
Control Arm Bushing Kit (Heavy Duty R32 version), Mk2/Mk3/Mk4 but the large ones are tt bushings to fit with the tt control arms
OEM Rear Brake Kit, VW Mk4 337/20th/GLi but now the rear rotors are Power Slot alloy cryo treated rotors
Forge turbo inlet pipe (black)
coolant flange (OEM)
IDF drop plates
G12 coolant
Urotuning SAI/N249/etc delete kit
High intensity white LED interior lighting and license plate bulbs
MKIV smoked sidemarker kit
V-MAXX Big Brake Kit

The Car

most of the parts have been ordered today and will be here tomorrow from Urotuning. below is what i have started on so far.

last night we noticed the steering wheel and shift nob were a little shiny looking from grease which is very common. We heated up some tap water for 3 min in the microwave and dipped a microfiber in it and rubbed it thoroughly and dried it. Then we applied some car leather conditioner (easily picked up from auto parts place) and let it sit over night. It looks like new today.

IDF drop plates to be installed today/tomorrow

black Forge turbo inlet pipe and OEM coolant flange

Forge Turbo inlet pipe and 007 Diverter Valve installed and a neuspeed filter

I took the front grills off, sanded them all down and sprayed them with semi-flat black paint giving the car a nice clean look. sorry some of these have already been done but if you want pics or have any questions i'd be glad to answer any of them.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
very nice Im glad atleast one of the senior members spoke up and did something I mean no disrespect to the others. I hope the rest rest of us new members can read this and learn something from it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
subscribed..I'm new to mkIV's. Waiting for Op to drop more knowledge :thumbup::D

(I dont think I have ricey taste, but I dont have much inspiration in my area, so any help is appreciated)

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
subscribed..I'm new to mkIV's. Waiting for Op to drop more knowledge :thumbup::D

(I dont think I have ricey taste, but I dont have much inspiration in my area, so any help is appreciated)
No worries man. Work is being done right now and pictures are logging the process. It might take a day to get through the first DIY so bare with us.

Sent from my TI 83 plus silver edition using tapatalk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No worries man. Work is being done right now and pictures are logging the process. It might take a day to get through the first DIY so bare with us.

Oh, no problem. Didnt mean to sound impatient :laugh: I still dont even have a car since i sold my old Jetta, workin on getting my first MKIV.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so essentially you are telling people that your car is inspirational to others? nothing like being a bit cocky eh?
:wave:

No way man, my car is nothing awesome. Just trying to show people there are some to do's before jumping into mods.

1 - 20 of 688 Posts