VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Black and Polished Jetta Checking In (with new pics)

Haven't really been on the 'tex for a while now, so not sure who's around anymore. For those who don't know the car, it's my wife's and a pic timeline is below.

The updates are below under 2012 and include shaved front bumper with molded votex, chrome badgeless grille, notchless hood, pulled rear fenders, paint and full interior in tan leather/suede with Recaro Speed seats.

All polishing work done by her and I. :cool:

Lot more cleaning in the bay, including wire tuck, battery relocation, washer tube, tons of plastic/sound deadning and motor mounts.

Stripped the anodizing and polished these

Picked up an ugly set of Recaro Speeds for stupid cheap. Turns out they were really in great shape and perfect for the car! They've been recovered in tan leather and suede (along with a matching back seat) and should be going in any day now.

Shaved the notch in the hood

She removed her bumper (all by herself haha!)

Let the shaving/molding begin:

Took the orange lenses off some old markers and cut blanks from an old bumper. Glued and plastic welded the blanks in for the side markers and the same for the bumper trim.

-Sanded down the plastic welds on inserts and side markers
-Laid down a coat of fusor to fill the welds
-Plastic welded Votex lip to bumper.

Thanks again to Clay! :alright

Was also able to source a chrome badgeless (apparently only new one in country).

Almost done with sanding here. Went to paint in pretty much this condition.

Dropped if off with the painter on Saturday and he got straight to work! :D

Pulled the fenders:

Body work:

Finishing up bumper:

Sanded filler on notch:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering where you've been! Looks killer as always but where's the pics of the mk2? You guys making it to Sowo? looks like I'm heading down and would love to get a :beer: and check them both out in person
For sure we'll be at SoWo! Defeinitely like to meet you and finally check out that rabbit in person! :cool:

After 3+ years of owning it, I sold the mk2 last fall and replaced it with an e36 vert. This pic is a bit old, as I've since changed the interior to black, installed Sparco Evo race seats and stripped carpet/back seat. After I get the mkv finished, I'll be back on the e36, installing my roll bar (already have) and starting a 5.0L V8 swap. :)

Old mk2:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Love the bay dude. Not that the entire car isn't extremely nice, your bay is just sexy as hayl.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I had a white e36 convertible before I bought my Jetta, miss that thing so much. I'm in the process of doing a complete bumper shave as well, you're making me second guess whether or not to shave the euro lip or not...looks so clean. Engine bay is insane btw :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
looks soo awesome :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, guys!!

Love the bay dude. Not that the entire car isn't extremely nice, your bay is just sexy as hayl.
thanks! hopefully this round of mods brings the interior and body to the same level as wheels and bay.

good job chroming the engine stuff :laugh::laugh::laugh:

car looks awesome and love the updates :thumbup:
what is this chrome you speak of haha?

I had a white e36 convertible before I bought my Jetta, miss that thing so much. I'm in the process of doing a complete bumper shave as well, you're making me second guess whether or not to shave the euro lip or not...looks so clean. Engine bay is insane btw :thumbup:
I've been loving the vert so far! Now i just want it to sound like a nascar and do smokey burnouts.

I'd definitely recommend molding the lip, as it is my favorite part of the bumper. Getting rid of that huge seam really cleans it up and not something a lot of people have done.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i remember the car! I loved it back then and love where it's goin' now

·
Registered
785 Posts
Welcome :wave: I think I met you at a WTF meet a while back, I remember your e36. Nice vehicles :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts